The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree40Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2013, 11:27 AM
Business Member

taylorreels will become famous soon enoughtaylorreels will become famous soon enough
Default What is important to you when buying gear?

Hey everyone,

I have a simple question that I wanted to ask. What are some of the important factors for you when purchasing a new piece of fly fishing gear? All of us have different values and concerns so I wonder if there are any commonalities among us. Some examples may be made in the USA, price, warranty, design, colors, performance, style, etc... What do you want from your fly fishing gear?

Matthew Taylor

Taylor Reels
Old 10-29-2013, 11:32 AM

plecain is just really niceplecain is just really niceplecain is just really niceplecain is just really niceplecain is just really nice
Default Re: What is important to you when buying gear?

This is somewhat generic.

It does what it's designed to do.

It doesn't get in my way while I'm using it.

I'll buy a new piece of gear if it makes my life easier, or allows me to do something I couldn't do without the new gear.

Oh, and one more. I trip over this more often than I should...It's just too good a deal to pass up.
Old 10-29-2013, 11:35 AM

fq13 is just really nicefq13 is just really nicefq13 is just really nicefq13 is just really nice

Made in the US is a plus factor and worth a few extra bucks. But number one is performance. I don't care about asethics as I figure the fish don't care much either and their opinion is all matters. I want the right tool for the job that stays(loosely) inside my budget. Used is fine, ugly is fine, it just needs to work and keep working with no BS or ridiculous amounts of maintence. I feel the same way about guns, cars, boats and camping gear. Women too if I'm being honest.:-)
von behr and nc_cooter like this.
Old 10-29-2013, 11:38 AM

mridenour is a splendid one to beholdmridenour is a splendid one to beholdmridenour is a splendid one to beholdmridenour is a splendid one to beholdmridenour is a splendid one to beholdmridenour is a splendid one to beholdmridenour is a splendid one to beholdmridenour is a splendid one to behold

Value---worth every penny. I don't have a lot of disposable income and I have to stretch my dollars.

Performance---it has to work and be durable.

Customer Service---if something goes wrong, help is a great thing.

Made in USA---a nice thing but if not, strong US ties in design and overseeing production.
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 10-29-2013, 12:07 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Initially it is trade offs between Price and Quality. This is followed by design/appearance. Things like warranty and customer service become more important as the price rises.
Hardyreels and troutnut4 like this.
Old 10-29-2013, 12:14 PM

runningfish is just really nicerunningfish is just really nicerunningfish is just really nicerunningfish is just really nicerunningfish is just really nice

Versatility and Design
Old 10-29-2013, 12:29 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Here are my three main points.

Long term performance - I want a reel that will perform the same now that it did when I first used it. I have saltwater reels that have been going strong for over 10 years.

Maintenance - I prefer reels that require some service other than rinsing them out after a long day fishing to make them last. If something goes wrong with them, I know that I have to take personal responsibility. I have seen some issues with some maintenance free reels.

Service - I also understand that I may have to send the reel in to the manufacturer for service. It's great to know that a bearing or any other part could be replaced even though the model has been discontinued.

Like others, I do not have a lot of disposable income, but I prefer top of the line equipment. If that means that I have to put in a few extra shifts at the second job or sell some other toys on eBay, I will do that. It is nice to know that I am buying what I want.

Dennis
von behr and caseywise like this.
Old 10-29-2013, 12:54 PM

fishers_fisherman will become famous soon enough

For me, when considering large item purchases (fishing gear or otherwise), I tend to first look at versatility-how much use in different situations or applications can I get. Couple examples, for my first rod I picked up a 6wt, seems to do pretty well throwing anything from small dry's to decent size poppers and bass bugs; for an EDC sidearm I go with Rugers .357 LCR, able to shoot magnum loads plus .38spc and .38+P, kinda like having three pistols in one.
Quality is right next if not tied for first, how well is something constructed, how long will I be able to use it, will it hold up with minimal required maintenance or work.
Finally pricing is my other big focus. If I'm happy with the first two consideration points, I'm usually willing to pay a bit more (within reason). Of course it's really hard to pass up a great deal when you find one and sometimes logic just has to take a backseat.
Old 10-29-2013, 01:37 PM

fq13 is just really nicefq13 is just really nicefq13 is just really nicefq13 is just really nice

OOOH! I forgot, free stuff. The guys at Allen give us cookies. Taylor caption contests maybe, because we are both cheap and easy.ROFL!
Actually, its only half a joke. The best advertising you could do is scatter a few reels around boards like this one and a few others and then get word of mouth, er, net back.
Old 10-29-2013, 02:03 PM

innes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to behold

Americano.....