The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2013, 11:45 AM

tybymo is on a distinguished road
Default knots for thin tippet

I usually use a clinch knot when tying on a fly, but with thin tippet, such as a #6, I sometimes have problems with the knot slipping off or the line breaking as I try to tighten the knot. I use six twists and I spit on the knot before tightening. Is there a better knot for thin tippet-- one that doesn't requite too much dexterity? I can tie the Orvis knot.
Old 10-29-2013, 11:53 AM

brookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: knots for thin tippet

I love a little known knot called the canoeman knot. I have tied this knot on 50lb mono all the way down to 5x and have been more than happy. It is a loop knot which can be used on almost any fly from streamers to nymphs.

It's also very easy to tie once you get the hang of it
Old 10-29-2013, 12:06 PM

englishspringer is on a distinguished road

I use the Davy knot (check out YouTube), which is like a
Reverse figure 8. It's easy, fast, but still strong. I use it on 6x all the time without issue.
Old 10-29-2013, 12:32 PM

kglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond repute

Here is a knot I use for my smaller flies and tippets as well as larger tippets with streamers and bugger. The Non-Slip Mono Loop Knot known as the Kreh knot since Lefty invented it:

Non Slip Loop Knot - How to tie a Non Slip Loop Knot

Kelly.
Hardyreels, mcnerney and jaybo41 like this.
Old 10-29-2013, 12:48 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tybymo View Post
I usually use a clinch knot when tying on a fly, but with thin tippet, such as a #6, I sometimes have problems with the knot slipping off or the line breaking as I try to tighten the knot. I use six twists and I spit on the knot before tightening. Is there a better knot for thin tippet-- one that doesn't requite too much dexterity? I can tie the Orvis knot.
Check out the breaking strengths for the 6x tippet to fly knots on the knot test below.

Click the image to open in full size.

Silver

http://tinyurl.com/kkctayx

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 10-29-2013, 01:51 PM

shimloom will become famous soon enough

I use the San Diego jam knot for most of my knots and hardly ever have a problem. If I do it's because I have been in a rush. Love that knot!

Craig
Old 10-29-2013, 03:01 PM

tybymo is on a distinguished road

Thanks. Silver. I was surprised by how well the improved clinch knot did. For the most part, the knots that have the best results require that the line be threaded twice through the hook eyel -- on small flies I have a tough enough time threading it through once.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 10-29-2013, 03:07 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

The loop knot that Kelly linked may be the strongest. (Nice one Kelly) I use a loop that I learned as The Orvis Knot, over the past 20 years there has been some discord as to who came up with it but the end result is a loop of leader through the eye of the fly. This type connection allows the fly to ride freely and not to be jammed by the knot.

The strength of such knots is derived from the fact that the portion of the material which forms 'the loop' has not been subjected to any strain or friction because it is not the knot, it is independent of the knot and so the material will provide the maximum tensile & torsional strength that it was manufactured and tested for.

This is an animation for the knot I have been using since 1992 or so; Orvis Knot Animation | Fly Fishing Knots

In leader sizes 10 pound down to 7 X I use 3 passes with the tag instead of the 2 which the demo shows. What you get is a slip knot connection with the hook eye in the untied loop.

I will be trying the loop Kelly posted for my streamers until the ice comes.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 10-29-2013, 03:20 PM

sweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud of

For flies that are striped and paused, no doubt the Non-Slip Loop Knot is the best. Lefty did not invent it...he varied the direction of the final pass through the standing overhand knot and applied his name to that modification. However, using the 6X referred to (a size rarely used for streamer type flies) and for fixed knots for dry flies, I have forgone the clinch in favor of the Trileen Knot. It is stronger (in my experience) and importantly, will not slip to the side of the hook eye reducing frictional energy damage to the material encircling the eye and it preserves the correct attitude of tippet top fly.
Old 10-29-2013, 05:38 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: knots for thin tippet

Hey Ard,

The knot Kelly posted is a really good knot for you to get familiar with. It's ideal when rigging the trailing hook on your tube flies and works very well when tying on shanks. I started to use that knot on streamers, tube and shanks last year and it has proven to hold up very well for me plus it helps with the movement or action as noted in Kelly's link.

Good stuff Kelly!
Hardyreels likes this.