The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2013, 03:12 PM

fq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of light
Default 3 wt for blue gill

I have recently rediscovered the joys of ultra light spinning rods for warm water in canals where its too overgrown /to cast a fly. Seriously small stuff, five foot rods geared to throw 1/32 oz. lures with four pound test line. It makes even a small fish a good time.

I am thinking of taking the same approach with fly rods. I have two ponds full of bluegills not a hundred yards from my house. I was thinking of a three weight. Now I have a perfectly good four weight. Its by the late lamented JK Fisher company. But that thing is a damn zippy rod. I rountinely throw #6 heavy clousers with it and catch three pound plus bass. Heck I even took a six pound striper with the thing in the Grand Canyon. There are not words to describe how much I love that rod. But frankly, its a eight weight trapped in a small body.

What I want is something that will let a bluegill show off, but not be so noodly that I can'throw small streamers and poppers. I also want to do this cheap. I'm not dropping three bills on a bluegill rod. I was thinking of the Redington CTs. Anybody have suggestions
Thanks
Old 10-29-2013, 04:29 PM

ia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: 3 wt for blue gill

Redington CT 3WT 7-6 is what I'm slinging. Blast for bluegills. Not sure what more you would ever need for panfish. Anything larger would take some of the fun out of it. A 3WT will land a nice gill in a reasonable period of time.
Old 10-29-2013, 04:57 PM

random user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the rough

My Favorite rod is a 7'6" St. Croix Imperial which is old and labeled 2/3 for a weight.
Got it to fish small flies in tight places on smaller rivers and streams for trout almost always under 16".

This summer I was using it to throw up to #10 deer hair sliders and divers, #10 Bead chain clousers, clousers on a #8 9672 with 1/50 oz lead dumbbells (not much of a chuck-n-duck), etc.

The rod handled juvie large mouth, large crappie and the like without much of a problem
Old 10-29-2013, 05:09 PM

fq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by ia_trouter View Post
Redington CT 3WT 7-6 is what I'm slinging. Blast for bluegills. Not sure what more you would ever need for panfish. Anything larger would take some of the fun out of it. A 3WT will land a nice gill in a reasonable period of time.
Will it throw little poppers and wooly buggers and small clousers? What I'm afraid of is just buying a dry fly rod that I'm going to have to ape arm to cast thirty feet with a number eight bead head bugger. At the same time I want somthing soft enough to enjoy a hand sized bluegill or oscar. Contradictory I know. How does that CT cast the heavier stuff?
Old 10-29-2013, 05:09 PM

fr8dog is on a distinguished road

I have a Cabela's Three Forks 7'6" 3 wt. for bluegills. Nice little stick with an Allen Alpha 3/4. Runs $60 normal. I got it for $35 when they had a sale. Very happy with it. If you're not in a hurry, keep an eye out for Cabela's sales.
turbineblade likes this.
Old 10-29-2013, 05:32 PM

ia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by fq13 View Post
Will it throw little poppers and wooly buggers and small clousers? What I'm afraid of is just buying a dry fly rod that I'm going to have to ape arm to cast thirty feet with a number eight bead head bugger. At the same time I want somthing soft enough to enjoy a hand sized bluegill or oscar. Contradictory I know. How does that CT cast the heavier stuff?

Yup, it'll do all that and you can spank your kids with it too.

I have cast tiny nymphs, poppers, #10 woolies etc. It won't cast a Musky streamer nor a 3oz lead weight if you want to flathead catfish with it. You'll need a 4 weight for that stuff.

Other than a dozen IA pound trout, I suppose I have landed 15-20 fish with it. Small to large gills, couple small crappie and small LM Bass. You'll know when a big gill is on it, but it does just fine.

It loads easily and that is good because I don't know what I am doing yet. Stinks in high wind. 25mph wind yesterday so I took the 5WT instead.
Old 10-29-2013, 06:37 PM

turbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really nice

If you are a fairly good caster, a lot of stuff is doable with a 3-weight.

I enjoy fishing my 3-weight quite a bit. Where it isn't ideal is when it's windy and when I'm nymphing.
Old 10-29-2013, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fr8dog View Post
I have a Cabela's Three Forks 7'6" 3 wt. for bluegills. Nice little stick with an Allen Alpha 3/4. Runs $60 normal. I got it for $35 when they had a sale. Very happy with it. If you're not in a hurry, keep an eye out for Cabela's sales.
I know I just lobbied for the Redington CT, but +1 for this advice too. My daughters new 4WT is a Cabelas and there is nothing wrong with it at all,. They go on great sales too. The CT on sale for $100 or less gets the nod from me now though.
Old 10-29-2013, 08:07 PM

jbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to behold

tfo professional.
Old 10-29-2013, 08:50 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

i have a 4 wt allen ats rod that i really like and my
wife has a 3 wt of the same model.
a great overall rod and an awesome gill rod at that.
the ats is being retooled so looked for the new model

casey

ARFE