The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/)
-   -   Asian Carp (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/335685-asian-carp.html)

fly_guy12955 10-29-2013 06:55 PM

Asian Carp

I was reading today they have determined that those jumping Asian Carp have successfully breed and reproduced in the Great Lakes now. How serious are these things ? I hear nothing good about them.

Mike

changler 10-29-2013 07:10 PM

Re: Asian Carp

"Asian carp" is sort of a catch-all: from what I've read today, they've only found grass carp successfully spawning in the Great Lakes- still not great, but not as bad as the other two- bighead and silver carp.

They (bigheads & silvers) subsist on plankton- the same stuff as forage fish and juvenile sportfish species. In the Mississippi River they compete with native species such as gizzard shad, which can in turn alter the rest of the food web.

However, they require moving water in order to spawn- the eggs must remain suspended in the water column for a substantial amount of time in order to hatch. Unlike the flowing Mississippi, asian carp in the Great Lakes will be limited by the number of streams where they can successfully spawn. Still not a great situation, but probably not as devastating as the effect of asian carp elsewhere.

fly_guy12955 10-29-2013 08:15 PM

Read this today.

Asian carp reproduce in Great Lakes watershed

lake flyer 10-30-2013 04:42 PM

Grass carp are pretty common here in Ohio but I think this is the first time they can prove reproduction in the great lakes tributary. These are not the jumping out of the water kind when startled, like the bigheads. These are found in lots of ponds and lakes in the area and are supposed to be sterile.

charged 10-30-2013 05:48 PM

I have a place located on the IL river an hour or south of chicago, and am plenty familiar with Asian carp. People group three species of carp under this same name. (Grass Carp, Bigheads, and Silvers) Unfortunately I get to deal with all three. The silvers seem to be the most prolific, and the ones I consider the largest threat.

I've now had the place for several years now, and in just the few years I've witnessed first hand, it seems they have really taken over. I see more of them every year and fewer game fish. I honestly do not think they can thrive in the great lakes, but my main fear is that if they get there, it will give them an avenue into all the tributaries where they can possibly thrive, spread, and eventually take over.

It's a huge problem, and I do not feel that the measures being put in place are adequate to prevent the spread of these invasive species. In the long run I honestly don't think they will be stopped, as all its going to take is some guy capturing a few minnows in a trap, driving an hour, and releasing the remaining bucket into new territory.

Its an unfortunate situation.

This is how serious the situation is in my home waters. (mute the volume as there is fowl language, I'm not affiliated with this video). Note: Its not this bad everywhere, but when they pile up like this, they do not leave much room for other species to thrive. I'm familiar with the area this video was shot in, its just a few minutes away!

I post this to bring awareness of what can possibly happen to other waters, if further safeguards are not employed.

nick k 10-31-2013 11:41 AM

Hey, look on the bright side. Carp are now easier to catch in the great lakes.

mrfzx 10-31-2013 12:19 PM

I am not sure how to tie a Plankton fly......

nick k 10-31-2013 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrfzx (Post 606527)
I am not sure how to tie a Plankton fly......

Better stock up on size 40 hooks and size 16 thread.