The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2013, 05:55 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold
Default Asian Carp

I was reading today they have determined that those jumping Asian Carp have successfully breed and reproduced in the Great Lakes now. How serious are these things ? I hear nothing good about them.

Mike
Old 10-29-2013, 06:10 PM

changler will become famous soon enoughchangler will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Asian Carp

"Asian carp" is sort of a catch-all: from what I've read today, they've only found grass carp successfully spawning in the Great Lakes- still not great, but not as bad as the other two- bighead and silver carp.

They (bigheads & silvers) subsist on plankton- the same stuff as forage fish and juvenile sportfish species. In the Mississippi River they compete with native species such as gizzard shad, which can in turn alter the rest of the food web.

However, they require moving water in order to spawn- the eggs must remain suspended in the water column for a substantial amount of time in order to hatch. Unlike the flowing Mississippi, asian carp in the Great Lakes will be limited by the number of streams where they can successfully spawn. Still not a great situation, but probably not as devastating as the effect of asian carp elsewhere.
Old 10-29-2013, 07:15 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

Read this today.

Asian carp reproduce in Great Lakes watershed
Old 10-30-2013, 03:42 PM

lake flyer will become famous soon enoughlake flyer will become famous soon enough

Grass carp are pretty common here in Ohio but I think this is the first time they can prove reproduction in the great lakes tributary. These are not the jumping out of the water kind when startled, like the bigheads. These are found in lots of ponds and lakes in the area and are supposed to be sterile.
Old 10-30-2013, 04:48 PM

charged has a spectacular aura aboutcharged has a spectacular aura aboutcharged has a spectacular aura about

I have a place located on the IL river an hour or south of chicago, and am plenty familiar with Asian carp. People group three species of carp under this same name. (Grass Carp, Bigheads, and Silvers) Unfortunately I get to deal with all three. The silvers seem to be the most prolific, and the ones I consider the largest threat.

I've now had the place for several years now, and in just the few years I've witnessed first hand, it seems they have really taken over. I see more of them every year and fewer game fish. I honestly do not think they can thrive in the great lakes, but my main fear is that if they get there, it will give them an avenue into all the tributaries where they can possibly thrive, spread, and eventually take over.

It's a huge problem, and I do not feel that the measures being put in place are adequate to prevent the spread of these invasive species. In the long run I honestly don't think they will be stopped, as all its going to take is some guy capturing a few minnows in a trap, driving an hour, and releasing the remaining bucket into new territory.

Its an unfortunate situation.

This is how serious the situation is in my home waters. (mute the volume as there is fowl language, I'm not affiliated with this video). Note: Its not this bad everywhere, but when they pile up like this, they do not leave much room for other species to thrive. I'm familiar with the area this video was shot in, its just a few minutes away!

I post this to bring awareness of what can possibly happen to other waters, if further safeguards are not employed.
Old 10-31-2013, 10:41 AM

nick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of light

Hey, look on the bright side. Carp are now easier to catch in the great lakes.
Old 10-31-2013, 11:19 AM

mrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to behold

I am not sure how to tie a Plankton fly......

There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus, Never Sniff a Gift Fish, 1979

Anger is like peeing in your pants: everyone can see it, but only you can feel it. ~Jeff Yalden

Remember: The winner gets to write the history books.
Old 10-31-2013, 12:06 PM

nick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfzx View Post
I am not sure how to tie a Plankton fly......
Better stock up on size 40 hooks and size 16 thread.