The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2013, 12:19 PM

nasars will become famous soon enough
Default Fly Advice

Where I live they stock a local lake (approx 3-5 acres) with trout, what would be some good fly choices. I mainly fish streams so dont have much experience with still water. I assume wolly buggers for stripping, but how effective is dead drifting nympths? Thanks.
Old 11-02-2013, 01:52 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fly Advice

Nymphs can work fine. Probably good to suspend them under an indicator so you're basically bobber fishing, unless you can see the fish and watch for the strike. A moving nymph can work as well so try stripping it a bit and letting it rest. In some places a white wooly bugger works great for stocked trout.

If the trout are recently stocked they won't know to hit flies resembling actual food sources in the lake. So they'll strike at things looking like food pellets or just hit out of curiousity or desperation or ? If they have been there awhile they may have adapted to the food in the water.
dwtalso likes this.
Old 11-02-2013, 02:07 PM

dwtalso will become famous soon enoughdwtalso will become famous soon enough

Yeah, every type of fly, nymph, or streamer will work. The reason I use more streamers on big still water is that the fish cruise and move and shift and I want to cover more water on each cast. I typically only dry fly, dry-drop, or nymph when the water is clear and I can sight fish to the cruisers. I find that I'm standing around waiting a lot with dead drifts, and I'm not into that.
Old 11-02-2013, 02:33 PM

fq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of light

Oh, for god,s sake, just say it! I swear you lot are terrified of being labeled bait fisherman. ROFL! I too am kind of at a loss for dealing with wild trout in non-moving water. But for stockers? Use a yellow salmon egg pattern about the size of a kernal of corn/hatchery pellet. I wouldn't just let one sit there, but if you can sight cast or have an idea of where they are they can work. I used these fishing on stocked rivers in W.Va. with great succes. They were my fall back when the traditional stuff failed. No shame in it. Its what the trout regard as food.
Old 11-02-2013, 02:44 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasars View Post
Where I live they stock a local lake (approx 3-5 acres) with trout, what would be some good fly choices. I mainly fish streams so dont have much experience with still water. I assume wolly buggers for stripping, but how effective is dead drifting nympths? Thanks.
I'd ask you what adult forms of aquatic insects do you see during warm weather. Then imitate the aquatic form.

For example, do you see blue damsel flies during summer?

Then use this earlier in the year

Click the image to open in full size.

How about midges or mosquitoes? Some still waters have burrowing mayflies. I'm not trying to be a sm*rt*ss. You know a lot more about your local waters than I do. You just have to apply that knowledge and you'll pretty good about catching a fish on a fly that YOU chose.
mcnerney and dillon like this.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 11-02-2013, 03:21 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by fq13 View Post
Its what the trout regard as food.
In my experience from working in a trout hatchery, I can promise you that stocked trout do not relate a single pellet fly as being the same chow that they were feed in the hatchery.
If a trout takes a pellet fly, it's only because they mistake it as being a natural food.
Hatchery trout respond to the sound of multiple pellets hitting the water surface at once. A single pellet is nearly always ignored.
When I ran the state "pay-to-fish" ponds, I had the opportunity to experiment a lot with this and proved it to myself many times over.

By the way, the most successful anglers at these ponds fished a tiny marabou jig under an indicator. These 2 acre man-made ponds were rich with aquatic worms and midges.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 11-02-2013, 03:31 PM

nasars will become famous soon enough

The lake was recently stocked, as in yesterday! The water is not very clear so there is no sight fishing. I have fished this lake in past years using a fly and a bubble with fairly good results. I've gotten into using a fly rod exclusively this past year, so I would like to cont this winter using it at this lake. I'm not the best caster in the world(but working on it) usually cast about 30-35 ft, dosnt seem very far out there when stripping from the bank, so I'm leaning toward using an indicator with nympth, salam eg etc. Just need to find a good salmon egg pattern. Thanks everybody.
Old 11-02-2013, 04:04 PM

ia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to behold

IMO, stocked trout begin acting like trout fairly rapidly. I'm new at this but have fished for them frequently this late summer and fall. They often hit the same flies you catch the wild browns with. In no particular order, Copper Johns, PT Nymphs, Wooly Buggers, Scuds, ants, wet flies. Somewhat less picky than the wild browns and brookies they reside with, but they get on a pattern of the day (or hour), just like you would expect from any trout. Beadhead nymphs work today, not much else, then a Wooly day, then a terrestrial afternoon etc, etc.

Try some black wooly buggers if the water is stained or muddy.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 11-03-2013, 11:03 PM

siege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant future

We have a small local pond that opened this year. The guys fishing it this time of the year are having good results with dark leech paterns.
Cast, wait as the fly sinks. Strip it in a few feet, repeat.
Good luck, and have fun !
mcnerney likes this.
Old 11-03-2013, 11:28 PM

bigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant future

When I was a kid, a local lake was stocked with trout, mostly Rainbows, in the spring while the waters were still cool enough. I didn't care too much about the trout fishing as it also brought crowds. However, I would occasionally catch a few, and on flies. I took notice that the folks who used Mepps spinners seemed to do well with those hatchery trout, and I often used spinners for the bass & panfishes in that lake . My fly choices were usually a white streamer pattern like a Black Ghost.

There were also occasions I would catch a trout much later in the year, a holdover from the spring stocking, and they might be caught on most anything.

I used olive or black nymphs for Bluegills quite a bit, and the trout would strike those as well. I don't feel the pattern was that critical, it was usually just a matter of getting the fly where the trout would see them.

Now, I think a white, black or olive Woolly Bugger with some flash in them would be my first choice if I knew they were newly stocked hatchery fish.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!