The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2013, 08:19 PM

two_nymph_rig is a jewel in the roughtwo_nymph_rig is a jewel in the roughtwo_nymph_rig is a jewel in the roughtwo_nymph_rig is a jewel in the rough
Default Got pictures of your packs?

In the market for a new fishing pack. Currently I use one made by Cabela's that is a check pack, has a nice pocket on the back. You can also attach a backpack if you want. I happened to slam the buckle in my truck door and it shattered, so I need a new one. Good buddy of mine uses the Fishpond Guide Pack and really loves it. The only thing I am worried about is wading in water deeper that my waist. Do you just let it get soaked and make sure you dry it out after you are done? I can look at hundreds of pictures of packs, but don't really know how they will look until I can see them on me or a person, so if you have pictures of yourself in a chest/waist pack, post them up. Thanks.
Old 11-02-2013, 08:22 PM

craigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Got pictures of your packs?

Depending on how big of a pack I really like my Fishpond Tumbleweed pack
Old 11-02-2013, 08:28 PM

two_nymph_rig is a jewel in the roughtwo_nymph_rig is a jewel in the roughtwo_nymph_rig is a jewel in the roughtwo_nymph_rig is a jewel in the rough

Will probably need something a little bigger than the Tumbleweed. I tend to carry a lot of **** with me.
here is the pack I have used for years.
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 11-02-2013, 08:38 PM

means is on a distinguished road

We really like the Patagonia Atom stealth sling packs.
swampdonkey likes this.
Old 11-02-2013, 08:40 PM

Anyone have experience with this pack?
it's an Allen Co. Deschutes River chest pack. Has a couple pockets in the back as well. We have a Sierra Trading Post in town, so at least I can see this in person.
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 11-02-2013, 09:22 PM

fq13 is just really nicefq13 is just really nicefq13 is just really nicefq13 is just really nice

I'd call that more of a vest than a pack. And if thats what you want I'd look no further than the patagonia stand up vest. I've owned one for twenty years and love it. Its made of double layer mesh. It has four large vertical pockets in front . The front two are standard fly box size. The ones behind them are larger and will hold a streamer box or a 24oz beer perfectly upright.:-) Plus two tippet sized pockets up high. Inside there are two low long zip pockets at waist level. At chest level each side has a deep, as in hold a 1st aide kit or sandwich deep pocket. The back has two pockets. The top is covered long and shallow and is where you keep you granola bars, phone and light. Under that the entire back opens up. Plenty of room for a raincoat, down vest and water bottle. It will carry all you need for a full day trip and then some. Not cheap, but worth every freaking penny. Unlike most things FF related I bought right the first time. Its the only vest/pack I've ever owned and I've never wanted more.
Old 11-02-2013, 10:21 PM

nick k is a jewel in the roughnick k is a jewel in the roughnick k is a jewel in the rough

I know I've got a picture of my package somewhere on my phone.....
Old 11-02-2013, 10:29 PM

fq13 is just really nicefq13 is just really nicefq13 is just really nicefq13 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick k View Post
I know I've got a picture of my package somewhere on my phone.....
Thank you Congressman Weiner.
mysticm and cab like this.
Old 11-03-2013, 07:49 AM

ib me is on a distinguished road

I have more packs & bags than I will ever be able to use all in the search for one that does it all. The one that comes closest for me is the ( Patagonia atom stealth sling pack) It carries a lot of gear,is out of the way when casting,& has a built it water bottle holder.They are a little pricey but worth it. Give them a look.
Dennis
Old 11-03-2013, 08:13 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Re: Got pictures of your packs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SdDryFly View Post
I happened to slam the buckle in my truck door and it shattered, so I need a new one.
Here's an idea.
Instead of trashing your Cabela's pack, sent it to me.
I'll replace the buckle (takes less than 10 minutes) and then sell it back to you
Hardyreels and jimp like this.