The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2013, 11:05 AM

flyfishmich has a spectacular aura aboutflyfishmich has a spectacular aura about
Default Possible gopro purchase

Are they worth it? I'm a photo junkie so it oiled be nice to have the capabilities to go underwater maybe get shake a bit. Is photo quality worth it? Is it worth the price.

Mainly I'd be shooting dog sports and some fly fishing and mountain biking.

Is there a big difference in quality between the 3 and 3+
Old 11-03-2013, 11:28 AM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Possible gopro purchase

My son and I have gopros and we like them alot! The picture quality is very good and the underwater shots come out excellent! The only problem we have is when we have it on our chest or hat is remembering to turn it on when we have a fish on!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 11-03-2013, 11:55 AM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't own one, so nothing to offer there but....I saw that LLBean has the Hero 3 Silver and Black Editions (whatever those are) on sale right now.

If you're going to buy one, Bean's legendary satisfaction guarantee and free shipping makes buying one from them a no brainer.
Old 11-03-2013, 12:20 PM

von behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud of

I have the Hero 2, and it's a great little camera with very simple operation. You can shoot stills or video, and the quality of the image is excellent (HD). There are many accessories available to accommodate whatever radical shooting scenario you can come up with.

Check out their website. They feature a video of the week, and the footage is amazing.

-VB
Old 11-03-2013, 01:10 PM

flyfishmich has a spectacular aura aboutflyfishmich has a spectacular aura about

Good deal thanks all
Old 11-03-2013, 10:53 PM

runningfish is a name known to allrunningfish is a name known to allrunningfish is a name known to allrunningfish is a name known to allrunningfish is a name known to allrunningfish is a name known to all

I would go with Sony Action Cam AS15 or the new one AS30. I think the picture quality is better than GoPro. You can get the AS15 for $169 at B&H.
Old 11-03-2013, 11:19 PM

gfirob is a jewel in the roughgfirob is a jewel in the roughgfirob is a jewel in the roughgfirob is a jewel in the rough

The gopro is much smaller than the Sony and its pretty much bullet-proof. The HD video image is quite good and the footage is regularly used on television for helmet cameras in extreme sports and of course fishing shows. They are also used as crash cameras and for octocopter flights. An underwater housing is a good idea if you expect to go underwater...
At the risk of stating the obvious, shooting video means you will be editing video and all that goes with that, which an whole 'nother subject.
bloomagoo likes this.
Old 11-04-2013, 04:22 PM

flyfishnbum is on a distinguished road

I have the GoPro hero 3+ silver addition and I am having a blast with it..You can buy alot of different attachments for it that will fit on pretty much anything. The attachments as well as extra batteries are very inexpensive which is nice. The underwater video and pictures are very good quality. There is even a free app for the Iphone(not sure about the droid) where you can view the pictures or video you just recorded, change your GoPro settings, turn on the Gopro, and even start recording and taking pictures. I have attached it to anything from my fishing net, to my shotgun barrel for waterfowel hunting..Hope this helps
Old 11-04-2013, 05:25 PM

baseman1 is just really nicebaseman1 is just really nicebaseman1 is just really nicebaseman1 is just really nice

I have the go pro 2 and it is awesome. You can attach it to anything and it is very light weight.

“Be patient and calm – for no one can catch fish in anger.” – Herbert Hoover
Old 11-04-2013, 09:08 PM

Yeah. Thanks to you guys I'm gonna get one. Never thought of the gun barrel as I hunt pheasant. It'll be fun.