Which 3 wt?

fq13

Reaction score
I am looking real hard at a Redington CT at $75 and a Cabela's LSI at $113. THe cabelas seems like it has a little faster action and is nine feet rather than eight six. Both are on great sales. Any thoughts?

craigthor

Reaction score
I've fished with the 7'6" 3wt CT and it is a nice rod I bet the 8'6" is jsut as nice and the the price is stellar also.

stl_geoff

Reaction score
The CT 2 and 3wts are supposed to be the real gems in that offering. That being said, I don't like my light rods to be over 7'-6". All of my 2 and 3s are shorter then that, most being in the 7'-0 range.

Even at that length, a good double haul will still profit a powerful cast. I have stretched my 3wt Vantage out to almost 80'.

TeddyBallgame09

Reaction score
The Cabela's rod is covered by their 25-year warranty and is made in S. Korea.
The Redington is made in China and is covered by Redington's Lifetime warranty.

I am personally not a fan of Cabela's branded rods/reels. However, that is based upon my limited experiences with some of their stuff. I realize that they typically outsource to different manufacturers every few years and the rods/reels I was not happy with might have been from one of the manufacturers that I just didn't like, Cabela's badge on it or not.

The 8'6" 3wt. looks like a nice rod. I have two 3wt. rods, one is a 7'6" Orvis Superfine and the other is a 10' Echo Shadow P.E.
I found out on Friday night that the 10' Echo actually made a decent streamer slinging rod...so I don't think the 8'6" would be anything but a sweet length for a very fun and versatile line weight.

If it were me, and I could only choose between these two offerings, all things considered, I'd go with the Redington.

Best of luck.
TB09

chased

Reaction score
Another vote for the CT. It is probably one of the nicest casting/fishing rods in the sub $250 category in my opinion. And in a 3wt you really don't need a super fast rod. Pair it up with a Cortland Retro I (also discontinued), and you'll have a really sweet rig for less than $200 (including line).

-Chase

fq13

Reaction score
Another vote for the CT. It is probably one of the nicest casting/fishing rods in the sub $250 category in my opinion. And in a 3wt you really don't need a super fast rod. Pair it up with a Cortland Retro I (also discontinued), and you'll have a really sweet rig for less than $200 (including line).

-Chase
I can beat that. Cabelas has house brand WFF for $19 and there Prestige reel for $25 plus free shipping. I'm an inch away.

---------- Post added at 11:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:39 PM ----------

DAMN YOU Chase! When I read my reply to you and realized that with their sale and free shipping, I would be out the door for less than $135 for the CT rod, Prestige reel and 3wt WFF line I had no choice. I may not, strictly speaking, need the outfit, but I'm never going to find a better deal. So I pulled the trigger. If I need to sell it for groceries I'm PM ing you first.:D

ia_trouter

Reaction score
I can beat that. Cabelas has house brand WFF for $19 and there Prestige reel for $25 plus free shipping. I'm an inch away.
Really like my CT, and bought that Cabela's reel for my daughter a few weeks ago. You can throw the reel in the trash next year for that price. Based on the reviews, we may both do that. I'm done with super cheap rods and line though. And you can buy manufacturers second lines for 10 bucks so the Cabelas line is no great bargain IMO.

fq13

Reaction score
Really like my CT, and bought that Cabela's reel for my daughter a few weeks ago. You can throw the reel in the trash next year for that price. Based on the reviews, we may both do that. I'm done with super cheap rods and line though. And you can buy manufacturers second lines for 10 bucks so the Cabelas line is no great bargain IMO.
Where do you find those seconds? I have a few lines that are getting a bit on the worn side.

itchmesir

Reaction score
I know some folks find these "seconds" great news... I tried 3 of them... Last one resulted in 70' of fly line heading down the Mississippi river... Cabelas line is a bargain IMHO... Aquanova is another good cheap line.

ia_trouter

Reaction score
I know some folks find these "seconds" great news... I tried 3 of them... Last one resulted in 70' of fly line heading down the Mississippi river... Cabelas line is a bargain IMHO... Aquanova is another good cheap line.
That may be true, but I am on a budget and 4 for 4 at getting pretty darn good line. Paid $42 for 4 lines they all cast much nicer than the lower end firsts I had. I'll be OK if $9.95 heads down toward New Orleans once. I could get my $9.95 back from the Denver vendor but I wouldn't ask for that. Cabelas line is probably a good value when on sale. Most of their house brand stuff is very serviceable IMO.

Lets agree to disagree on this one Itch. The seconds are "right" for some of us. $40-50 line for 10 bucks isn't the biggest risk most of us will ever take. I am trying to figure out what weight lines my rods like. I can't afford to buy a nice line and then take it off because the weight isn't quite right.

Last edited:

rickf

Reaction score
fq,

I have been reading your posts for a while now, and I should say that if you want to really have a good time fly fishing ....... then spend a few Benjamins and get a good rod!

I would recommend a Helios (or H2) for your 3 wt? It's the lightest rod in the world, and it has the best action by far!

I catch a lot of trout in streams where most don't catch anything at all? It's a great rod for Bluegill also!

thewalker1013

Reaction score
I actually have a factory second (called a "blemish" by Sage back when you could still get them) RPL 380. I haven't found a use for it between my 2 and 4 wt LLs, but it is a really nice rod and has only been lawn cast

There is a blemish on the blank but not a thing wrong with the rod other than a small cosmetic scrape... I'd probably let it go, PM me if interested.

I have cast the 3 wt BVK, and it's a lot of fun, I'd recommend trying one out

fq13

Reaction score
I actually have a factory second (called a "blemish" by Sage back when you could still get them) RPL 380. I haven't found a use for it between my 2 and 4 wt LLs, but it is a really nice rod and has only been lawn cast

There is a blemish on the blank but not a thing wrong with the rod other than a small cosmetic scrape... I'd probably let it go, PM me if interested.

I have cast the 3 wt BVK, and it's a lot of fun, I'd recommend trying one out
h
That's a nice offer. I have a 6wt RPL as my go to bass rod and I love it. But I was pushing it with a 3wt and 5wt Ct budget wise. I don't think I could make you a fair offer. Thanks though.

thewalker1013

Reaction score
h
That's a nice offer. I have a 6wt RPL as my go to bass rod and I love it. But I was pushing it with a 3wt and 5wt Ct budget wise. I don't think I could make you a fair offer. Thanks though.
No sweat, I'm sure it will find its way into loving (by that I mean "hard-core-fishing") hands eventually