The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree40Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2013, 07:46 AM

busbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to behold
Default Do you think trout laugh at you?

Seriously.

I swear they were doing that to me several times on Saturday. But I think if I had read the thread about making sure you don't put any floatant on your tippet, some of the laughter would have been avoided. I got a bunch of looks at my fly but they all "laughed" and ignored it from then on out. And I know it had to be because I put floatant on the tippet--I didn't know any better. Now I do and I think I would have gotten a couple of them.

I guess the good things are I am actually being strategic about things and am approaching them better, finding them more often, and seeing them better. And, better than that, I am actually able to make some pretty decent casts and make the fly land more-or-less where I want it to land and it is actually the right place to land. (If that makes any sense?) I still do not have a straight line nearly enough but baby steps, I guess.

But the other time they were laughing, I think I was set up. It was nearing the end of the day and I just wanted to putz around for 20 minutes or so, until sunset. I saw a bunch of them in a spot near my car. Great. I wander along the bank and go downstream. I come up real nice and quiet and start tossing flies at them. Almost immediately, it began to rain, and it sort of was raining pretty hard. I figured it would blow over and it did. It didn't last more than five minutes or so. I was using a streamer, so I kept on casting to where I last saw them.

The rain let up and I was finally able to see into the water again. I looked and I looked and where there used to be 6-8 trout there was...nothing. I kept looking and felt a couple bumps on my ankles. I looked down to see three trout happily swimming around and bouncing off my boots. And I could swear they were all LAUGHING at me. Mouths all open, each suddenly swimming in tight circles, and banging right off me.

What do you do in those sorts of situations? Does this sort of thing happen? Or am I just a moron?
frogg likes this.
Old 11-04-2013, 07:52 AM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do you think trout laugh at you?

Hey Ray,

I'd say your approach to it all is right on. You're getting out there and doing it, and perhaps more so, you are enjoying that! Fish or no fish, that's what it's all about. There have been many a day when I've been skunked and the end result was taking my fly rod for a walk. It's ok though, I'd gladly take one of those days than a day behind my desk.

Salmon, trout, steelhead, smallies and probably a few other species I'm sure have laughed at me through the years!
von behr likes this.
Old 11-04-2013, 07:58 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Definitely not a moron! I love streamer fishing especially in the fall, Friday I took the streamer rod out for awhile, couldn't buy a fish while wading, so after about 45 minutes went back to nymphing and we caught a lot of fish. The previous Sunday I did a float on the Green with another guy from Casper who is a true beginner, it was only a four hour float as my fishing partner had to drive back to Casper at the end of the float. We split the time on the oars and I landed three Browns and one Rainbow throwing streamers, but the big difference is that we were covering lots of ground while drifting down the river. I'm not saying that streamer fishing won't work while wading, but your odds go way up when drifting. You might try nymphing that section of water to see if your results change. If you see a hatch coming off, then switch up to dries, emergers or even better a dry/dropper rig.

The fish at your ankles kind of reminded me of fishing on the San Juan River, NM. When wading in the soft bottom of that river it kicks up the midge larva and the fish have learned to line up just downstream of where you are standing, they are not afraid of getting really close and feeding like crazy.

Larry
von behr, lacanadio and busbus like this.

Old 11-04-2013, 07:59 AM

busbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybo41 View Post
Hey Ray,

I'd say your approach to it all is right on. You're getting out there and doing it, and perhaps more so, you are enjoying that! Fish or no fish, that's what it's all about. There have been many a day when I've been skunked and the end result was taking my fly rod for a walk. It's ok though, I'd gladly take one of those days than a day behind my desk.

Salmon, trout, steelhead, smallies and probably a few other species I'm sure have laughed at me through the years!
Thanks, Jason. I didn't get skunked on Saturday. I caught a nice brown within the first 15 minutes of the day. I am glad I used my 5# instead of the nice, little 4# you gave me because I think I would have lost it. It was a pretty good fight and it just laid there for a long, long time after I put it back in the water.

But I swear those three were seriously laughing at me. A hearty laugh, not a smirk. It was like I was watching "The Incredible Mr. Limpet" in real life.
jaybo41 likes this.
Old 11-04-2013, 08:05 AM

siege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant future

I have never met a trout with a good sense of humor, Ray. They can be diabolical teasers, and torturous practial jokers, but it's never just in fun. I suspect it stems from having their relatives yanked out of the water on a piece of line, while being impaled wirh a hook in their jaw.

My guess is, they don't think much of our sense of humor, either.

But, back to your problem. Their little mouths are not big enough to go around your ankles, so they just headbut you. Find some old wading boots to use for fly tying material. Make sure the cloth, rubber, and laces have your scent on them, and try again. And as a word of caution, stick with shallow streams. Stay out of waters where great white sharks are found.
Tight lines !
jaybo41 and busbus like this.
Old 11-04-2013, 08:06 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Fear of fly-casting - Dave Barry - MiamiHerald.com

Quote:
The trout were laughing so hard at us that they considered evolving legs so they could crawl onto land and catch their breath.
von behr, jaybo41, busbus and 3 others like this.
Old 11-04-2013, 08:11 AM

Larry,

I tried nymphing for the first time Saturday. I didn't have the greatest results but I think that is because I need to really work on understanding how to nymph. The creek I was on really varied in depth. The only places I tried the nymphs were in the deeper spots. I think the current was so fast that I couldn't get the nymphs deep enough as they seems to float behind the Thing-a-ma-bobber I was using. Who knows? Maybe I used the wrong sized indicator. Maybe the fish noticed the indicator and ignored my offering. Maybe both. But I really think it may have been because it was not deep enough. All I know is that they never even glanced at it--it would just float on by them and they remained dead still. They would at least give my streamer and even dries a looksee and even chased streamers sometimes. (I think they laughed at my dries even though they would take a look several times before totally ignoring them.)

But, who cares? Like Jason says, it beats being at work or raking leaves any day of the week!
jaybo41 likes this.
Old 11-04-2013, 08:16 AM

cochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud of

On the Henry's fork the other day, I needed hearing protection to drowned out the sounds of laughing fish.

Then, they jumped out of the water and slapped me in the face. "at least bring your B game next time, chump"

I quietly waded out of the river, got out of my waders, and moved on.
jaybo41, busbus, yonder and 1 others like this.
Old 11-04-2013, 10:10 AM

runningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of light

I could hear the trouts giggled at me loud and clear yesterday. So clear that I had to make it a National Skunked Day.

I started it out with the Road Kill, my stirred but not shaken leech fly that actually already looked like a road kill from hooking trouts after trouts.
But nothing is coming. I knew that spot will eventually produce, but my impatience fishing buddy started to whine about the water is being too high (it is 3 ft higher than last week), bla bla bla and asked to move.

Well, we hiked a bit and found a cove, there were 2 conventional fishermen fishing from a ±10ft cliff above us about 75ft away at our 3 o'clock and they caught several nice trouts already and I saw a couple of them swimming around. So, we tried the water but in vain. Spinning rod 1 - fly rod 0, used to be the other way around.

We hiked some more and found our own little cove, there were 2 rainbows 3-4lbs. I had to assemble my rod while my buddy started to fish with the spinning setup and told me that he won't spook the fish. Well, that was exactly what he did. He cast his power bait right on the trouts' head. They were gone in a wrap speed and he asked me "did you see them?"

The 2 trouts eventually came back but there was no way that I could catch them with my buddy casting directly at them. To make it worse, the Road Kill is MIA/RIP. I threw everything at them including a dry fly and nymph dropper with tippet smeared with some floatant (Just found out today that it was a big no no). The 2 trouts, looked at them whispered to each other, giggled then walked away. That reminds me of my high school days chasing girls.

So, to answer if the trout laugh at me? No, they didn't laugh at me. They giggle.

Time to sit on my throne to analyze this.
busbus likes this.
Old 11-04-2013, 10:17 AM

mridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud of

NO!!!! They fear me. Their gills quiver and their fins shiver when the shadow of my fly rod looms over the stream. They swim for cover and hide beneath the rocks and trees only to succumb to my expert drifts and flawless presentations. They fight in futility until they are guided expertly into my net and released to tell stories of the legend, stories about me....

Then the alarm went off and I woke up.
jaybo41, busbus, frogg and 2 others like this.