The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2013, 12:44 PM

jor fly is on a distinguished road
Default Okuma Rods

Has anyone ever used any rods by this company?
Old 11-05-2013, 03:43 PM

ia_trouter is a name known to allia_trouter is a name known to allia_trouter is a name known to allia_trouter is a name known to allia_trouter is a name known to allia_trouter is a name known to all
Default Re: Okuma Rods

I'm sure you are hoping for Okuma fly rod specific feedback, and it will probably come.

FWIW, here is my 2 cents on Okuma in general. I have owned spinning and fly gear on perhaps 5 occasions. They mostly target the low to mid level priced market. I don't think their low end stuff is any better than any other brand. If you try to buy a ten dollar spinning rod or a super cheap fly rod you are going to get about what you paid for and may not be satisfied long. I have purchased a few of their mid level reels for ice fishing, walleye fishing, and an SLV fly reel. All functioned very well and had features normally found in gear costing more. Okuma has a lot of spinning reel fans.

I would post up your fly rod budget and intended use and you will likely get some good suggestions for similar money. There are some excellent closeout deals out there on serviceable gear. Or even the particular Okuma rod you are considering.

Hope this helped at least a little.

Last edited by ia_trouter; 11-05-2013 at 07:30 PM.
Old 11-05-2013, 07:18 PM

cimarron has a spectacular aura aboutcimarron has a spectacular aura about

I bought an Okuma "Magnitude" fly rod a few years ago. It was supposed to be a backup for my 9.5' Powell Timax rod. I soon traded places with the two rods, the Magnitude becoming my main rod. It was lighter and quicker than the Powell. I put an Okuma SLV on the Magnitude with 7.5 WF Rio line. I couldn't find a rod I liked a whole lot better. It had a pretty brown blank, but the handle was cheap looking cast metal. Functional is about all you could say about. I wound up giving it to my son who fishes the North Platte almost daily and he loves the rod. I would buy another if I could find one but I think they are discontinued.
Old 11-06-2013, 12:34 PM

jor fly is on a distinguished road

Actually it was a question of mere curiosity. I had tried out a 2 weight at Sportsman's warehouse and thought I'd pop on here to see if anyone knew anything.