The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2013, 05:05 PM

95chevy will become famous soon enough
Default Can I fish year round in pa?

I have looked on google but didnt fimd quite what I was looking for. I am wondering if I can legally fish now until December 31 (when the license expires)? I found answers for keeping trout but not much else. I never keep fish unless I need to (like camping) or when I go deep sea fishing but thats not related to here. Also, I wouldn't necessarily be targeting trout. In fact itd be mostly bass and blue gill. Thanks for any answers.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 4
Old 11-05-2013, 05:57 PM

pa dave is a jewel in the roughpa dave is a jewel in the roughpa dave is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Can I fish year round in pa?

I don't know if you have the regs book anymore, but here is a link to the online version. Short answer is yes, you can fish year round in PA, just not for all species at all times or places. Look specifically at the special regulations waters that are listed. It can be a little complicated.

FishInPa.com

Specifically for trout, this 2nd link is a great place to start.

http://fishandboat.com/fishpub/summa...trout_regs.pdf

For bass and panfish, this last link is useful.

http://fishandboat.com/fishpub/summa...gs_species.pdf
Old 11-05-2013, 06:51 PM

That is a tad confusing. Tge main reason im asking is because ill be at a park (wehrs dam specifically) and there is a ton of bluegills and bass at the bottom of the dam. And I wanted to fish while I was there.

Old 11-05-2013, 08:28 PM

pa dave is a jewel in the roughpa dave is a jewel in the roughpa dave is a jewel in the rough

Panfish are open year round. Bass are open most of the year, including from now until the end of the year (and into Spring 2014).
Old 11-05-2013, 08:52 PM

Ok. Thank you. My neighbor was telling me that he thought that blue gills were allowed all the time but ge didnt know about other species. Thank you for the info.

Old 11-05-2013, 11:14 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

As far as I know all Heritage Waters are open year round, C&R fly fish only. The only waters that close to trout fishing are those that are stocked by the PA Fish & Boat Commission, they close in March when the pre-season stockings begin and open the second Saturday in April.

Of course, I would suggest verifying that in your regulation book before you fish any given water.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 11-05-2013, 11:22 PM

theboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant future

Wehrs used to be a great spot for catfish! And you have Jordans Creek right there good trout fishery when it has water!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 11-06-2013, 07:20 AM

I haven't been there since july (I dont know why because I live 10 minutes away) but when I was there the water was a tad on the low side and all I caught was blue gill and some bass. But a few years ago before I got the fly rod, I caught a few pretty big catfish. There is also some trout at the bottom of the dam at certain times. Usually when the water is at a normal level.

Old 11-09-2013, 02:33 PM

Well I just got back from wehrs dam. I didn't catch anything. Actually, I didnt even see anything. I walked down river a ways too and there wasnt anything. I kinda figured that there wouldn't be anything there. But it makes me wonder where they go? I pretty sure they dont just die.

Old 11-09-2013, 05:14 PM

enolaeagle is a jewel in the roughenolaeagle is a jewel in the roughenolaeagle is a jewel in the rough

I had the same luck on the Breeches last week... nothing.

Chief Thread Starter
Mother Approved...