The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2013, 04:07 PM

nobullygator will become famous soon enoughnobullygator will become famous soon enough
Default Re: 7 weight rod

thanks everyone that answered. so i getting the feeling that a 8 weight is my best choice. does anyone have any suggestions for a good rod and reel with out breaking the bank, either a combo or a seperate rod and reel without spending more than 250-300.
Old 11-06-2013, 05:44 PM

romanl is a glorious beacon of lightromanl is a glorious beacon of lightromanl is a glorious beacon of lightromanl is a glorious beacon of lightromanl is a glorious beacon of light

TFO BVK $250 retail you can probably get it a bit cheaper around holidays. I demoed it and really liked it. But went with a bit more expensive sage response.
Old 11-06-2013, 07:06 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by runningfish View Post
If you want a 7wt and nothing but a 7wt. I suggest you try the Redington Predator and the new Redington Vapen. I used the Predator prior to the Vapen and I can attest that they will throw whatever you have at the end of your tippet. Powerful, fast and economically priced.

Note: Get a line with 1/2 weight or a full weight heavier.
I still have my eyes on the Predator just incase they priced it down.
I fished a 9wt Predator for Kings a few weeks back and was pretty impressed. Seemed like a lot of bang for the buck there.
Old 11-06-2013, 07:52 PM

runningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobullygator View Post
thanks everyone that answered. so i getting the feeling that a 8 weight is my best choice. does anyone have any suggestions for a good rod and reel with out breaking the bank, either a combo or a seperate rod and reel without spending more than 250-300.
I would recommend you the 8wt Zenith if you are going to spend above $300, but I recommend you the same Redington Predator and Vapen for the 8wt for under $250.
Old 11-06-2013, 08:07 PM

mirabelasunshine is just really nicemirabelasunshine is just really nicemirabelasunshine is just really nicemirabelasunshine is just really nice

I won a Redington Voyant 8wt in a tournament, and I've been very happy with it. It's a nice stiff rod for chucking fluffy streamers, wind-resistant bass bugs, etc.

For the uses you describe an 8 sounds like a good choice. The only place it might seem like overkill is for smallmouths, but a good smallie will put a nice bend in it all the same. It's nice to have the extra oomph for dealing with big fish (pike, steelies) and with LMB's even if they aren't big it's really helpful to be able to derrick them out of all the **** they try to dive into when hooked.
siege and ia_trouter like this.
Old 11-06-2013, 10:05 PM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of

Quote:
For the uses you describe an 8 sounds like a good choice. The only place it might seem like overkill is for smallmouths, but a good smallie will put a nice bend in it all the same. It's nice to have the extra oomph for dealing with big fish (pike, steelies) and with LMB's even if they aren't big it's really helpful to be able to derrick them out of all the **** they try to dive into when hooked.
I would rather have a rod that's a bit over powering, than one that is under gunned. My 6 wt is what I prefer for SM bass, but will go up to an 8 on some bigger waters. I've gone down to a 3 or 4 wt too for SM bass in some streams. I've caught Striped Bass up to 30" on a 6 wt, but that's not what I would choose to target them. I also target LM bass with a 9 or 10 wt often, because of the snags in the places I fish. Even my 8 wt is not ideal when it comes to dealing with some of those snags. Open water fishing for bass or even some smaller Stripers, a 6, 7 or 8 wt is perfect, and I've caught a good number of Pickerel & a few good size Carp on these size rods, but change the conditions drastically or the size of the fish & they all can become too light. As I said above, every rod will be a compromise for the specific conditions we encounter.

These folks have all given you some good advise & suggestions.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 11-06-2013, 10:32 PM

fq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of light

Well, an Orvis Clearwater for $135 would be a go;od start.:-) Then put a redington pursuit, an okuma or a Battenkill, or one of Cabela's mid level proprietaries on it. Or maybe a Grey. I mean for bass you will rarely if ever see your backing, but you do want a stout drag. Still, for a mostly freshwater reel, discounting steelis, salmon and muskies, I see no need to drop more than about seventy five to a hundred or so bucks. And right now on Cabels, Amazon and Ebay there are some great deals on reels.

Last edited by fq13; 11-07-2013 at 02:15 AM.
Old 11-07-2013, 06:10 PM

nobullygator will become famous soon enoughnobullygator will become famous soon enough

the orvis clearwater looks pretty good what would you guys recommend 9 or 10ft. i was also looking at the streamline too. anyone have any experience with them?
Old 11-07-2013, 06:31 PM

fq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobullygator View Post
the orvis clearwater looks pretty good what would you guys recommend 9 or 10ft. i was also looking at the streamline too. anyone have any experience with them?
If you want a ten, the Loomis GL3 is nice and so are the mid level Reddingtons. I have an eight weight Orvis Clear Water tip flex and the thing is a cannon. I expect the ten weight version is as well. Also look at Allen. This is assuming you want to stay around two bills. If money isn't an issue say screw it and buy a sage.

PS As to lenghth. MyClear water is nine and a half feet and I love it. That extra six inches does make a difference. I have never cast a ten footer, but I assume the same principle would apply. I would hesitate to get one for the mangroves. I'd see that as a flats/surf rod.
Old 11-07-2013, 07:42 PM

arreflections is on a distinguished road

To be safe, I would recommend an 8 weight but a 7 wt is certainly doable. I would suggest graphite for 8 wt due to casting all day, however I like fiberglass too. Fiberglass for 7 wt, IMO.