The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2013, 08:02 PM

nobullygator will become famous soon enoughnobullygator will become famous soon enough
Default Re: 7 weight rod

what does a 1ft difference really make in a rod

---------- Post added at 09:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:01 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by fq13 View Post
If you want a ten, the Loomis GL3 is nice and so are the mid level Reddingtons. I have an eight weight Orvis Clear Water tip flex and the thing is a cannon. I expect the ten weight version is as well. Also look at Allen. This is assuming you want to stay around two bills. If money isn't an issue say screw it and buy a sage.

PS As to lenghth. MyClear water is nine and a half feet and I love it. That extra six inches does make a difference. I have never cast a ten footer, but I assume the same principle would apply. I would hesitate to get one for the mangroves. I'd see that as a flats/surf rod.

so whats the big differnce between a 9ft and a 10ft?
Old 11-07-2013, 08:20 PM

fq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobullygator View Post

---------- Post added at 09:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:01 PM ----------

About twelve inches? Seriously, I never had anything longer than nine feet till I got my Orvis and it was used. I didn,t set out to get a 9ft 6 " rod. I just got it for a nice price. No method to the madness, but it casts well.
Old 11-08-2013, 07:24 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobullygator View Post

It can make a significant difference when you need to reach out into currents farther out than you can wade. Add to that easier to mend line. I had always fished 9ft rods and when I got a 10 footer for steelhead, it made a huge difference. So much so, that I sold my 9ft rod.
Old 11-08-2013, 08:13 PM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of

I was interested in a custom built 10', 10 wt one time for Striper fishing. The guy I was talking to about building it said the extra weight would be a problem. He said there would be fatigue issues. That was before there were many 10' factory rods on the market.

IMO, in addition to what's already been mentioned, the longer rod could also aid in casting bigger flies, particularly when wading which was my intention, since keeping the line up in the air, with longer distances should be a bit easier. Unfortunately I never had the rod built to find out.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 11-08-2013, 11:08 PM

fq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of light

If you want a long rod and are considering a ten footer I'd look at spey rods. I mean at ten feet you are litteraly a foot away from crossing over. There are a lot of things to consider, but I'd give thought to buying an 11 foot switch over a 10 foot single hand rod.
Old 11-10-2013, 08:53 PM

monkeyboy is a jewel in the roughmonkeyboy is a jewel in the roughmonkeyboy is a jewel in the roughmonkeyboy is a jewel in the rough
Lightbulb Re: 7 weight rod

a 7wt. will do anything you need to do with a fly. a close friend lives in Alasaka and his favorite rod is a 7wt. you can overload the rod with an 8 wt. line when using bigger flies.

jmtcw

buzzy

the universe in a drop of water

Norta Mudzoory