The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2013, 06:11 PM

nobullygator will become famous soon enoughnobullygator will become famous soon enough
Default 7 weight rod

I already have a 5 weight for trout but im looking for a rod that can do multiple species. Do you guys think a 7 weight can handle bass, pike, and steelhead. Whats your opinion?
Old 11-05-2013, 06:14 PM

ia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: 7 weight rod

I started a similar thread last week The majority suggested an 8WT. Welcome to the forum.
Old 11-05-2013, 07:19 PM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of

IMO, it depends on where, how you're fishing & how big the fish are whether or not a 7 wt will fit the situation. There's many variables that could make it the right or wrong rod weight to use for any of those species. Of course the specific rod can make a difference too. Not all 7 weights will be designed the same or cast the same. Any rod has it's limitations & will always be a compromise, particularly when it's for multiple species. It will certainly work for those species & others, but again it gets back to the many variables that you might encounter. It will handle those species, but not necessarily all individual fish within those species or all conditions you might find when chasing any of those species. Of course the only way to find out for sure is try it!
jaybo41 likes this.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 11-05-2013, 07:56 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

bigjim gave some pretty sound advise. Not all 7wts are created equal, so it somewhat depends on which particular model you're on the hunt for. Also where you're fishing. What's also important is what size flies and what kind of flies you're typically using. If you're throwing larger streamers, then the heavier line of an 8wt may help manage the heavier payload of the flies.

If you can fill out your profile and add an approximate location, you may find you get more regionalized responses.

Welcome to the forum!
jbird and siege like this.
Old 11-05-2013, 09:33 PM

romanl is a jewel in the roughromanl is a jewel in the roughromanl is a jewel in the rough

as someone already stated, when shopping for my big fish rod, i went with 8wt
if you already have 5, i'd go with 8wt

i already had 3wt, 4wt & 5wt, and wanted something for Pike, Muskie Carp, Lake trout, and hopefully i can do trips for some Steelhead.
i went with 8 wt, (Sage Response) and have thrown some very large flies with it, and it handled them like a champ
Click the image to open in full size.

so far the only large fish i caught on it was this 25.5" inch Carp (my first carp on a fly)

Old 11-06-2013, 12:12 AM

runningfish is just really nicerunningfish is just really nicerunningfish is just really nicerunningfish is just really nicerunningfish is just really nice

If you want a 7wt and nothing but a 7wt. I suggest you try the Redington Predator and the new Redington Vapen. I used the Predator prior to the Vapen and I can attest that they will throw whatever you have at the end of your tippet. Powerful, fast and economically priced.

Note: Get a line with 1/2 weight or a full weight heavier.
I still have my eyes on the Predator just incase they priced it down.
jaybo41 likes this.
Old 11-06-2013, 01:06 AM

fq13 is just really nicefq13 is just really nicefq13 is just really nicefq13 is just really nice

Good advice so far. I've got a moderatection Orvis eight weight that will spilt the difference in the classifieds if you're interested.
Old 11-06-2013, 07:53 AM

siege is a splendid one to beholdsiege is a splendid one to beholdsiege is a splendid one to beholdsiege is a splendid one to beholdsiege is a splendid one to beholdsiege is a splendid one to beholdsiege is a splendid one to behold

Welcome aboard ! You'll find almost as many opinions as there are members, when it comes to rod selection. My prefrence for bigger species and " big water " is an 8wt. I tend to use lighter tackle most of the time, but when it's very windy, or I fish where I can expect larger fish, the 9' rod in 8wt gets the call.
You will eventually want one of every size, weight, and length anyway. It's a sickness for which there is no known cure. Enjoy !
Old 11-06-2013, 10:25 AM

dar is on a distinguished road

I tend to agree with the recommendation of an 8wt. I use mine when throwing bigger flies for smallmouth and largemouth bass. I have also used it for pike fishing on those rare occassions. I don't fish for steelhead but have a couple of buddies who make a couple of trips to the Brule in northern MN and both of them use 10' 8wts. They have recently moved to using an 11' 8wt switch rod.

Dave
Old 11-06-2013, 11:06 AM

billyspey has a spectacular aura aboutbillyspey has a spectacular aura about

Why not a rod in ever line wt. I like my 7's sage xl and st croix 7 wt freshwater I have a 8'3" 8 wt echo for bass