The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2013, 05:37 PM

fq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of light
Default I love CTs part II

Well I gave a range report on how much I liked the 5wt rod this morning after casting a size 16 fly in calm conditions at thirty five feet. It was darn fun to catch some small fish as I enjoyed the fight that this light rod let me feel.

So, tonight I figured I'd take it out and see how it would do for distance. It was blowing about ten knots and the fish were down. So I figured, fine, I'll forgo fishing and see how far I can cast it. Its getting dark so, with the wind I bagged the clouser as I value my ears, and tied on a number eight stone fly nymph and started casting cross wind and down wind. I kept stripping off more line and double hauling. The last few casts dissapointed me as I could barely see in the failing light that the ripples said that the leader and line had landed in a wuzzle. I tried again and almost, but not quite managed to straighten the leader. Fine, I said, good at thirty to fifty feet, what more do you want from a five weight with a heavy nymph? I figured I'd reel in and walk home. I reached down to put tension on the line and touched backing. I'd been throwing a whole freaking Rio Trout Taper five weight line and hadn't realized it in the dark. No wonder those last casts looked like **** when they landed. I was throwing eighty feet plus of line. No BS boys, I'd be hard put to do that on my Loomis ten weight if I wanted to. Here I was just casting in the dark and looking at the ripples to see how the line landed. Granted it was a dogs breakfast, but so what? That little rod threw a whole line without me realizing it. Who asks that from a five weight? And the thing is, aside from a double haul and two or three false casts I wasn't forcing it. I just waited till I felt it load and threw. It ain't an eighty foot rod, but the fact it woud throw a whole line, however inelegantly without me even noticing speaks volumes of good. I say again, I am in love!

Last edited by fq13; 11-07-2013 at 06:03 PM.
Old 11-07-2013, 05:55 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: I love CTs part II

fg13,,now you KNOW you can't do that without an 800 dollar 'teckie' fast action wonder rod ! We all know most of us who do not like super fast actions are too 'casting challenged' to appreciate them lol. (That 'statement' saves face for spending huge amounts for nothing.)

You do not have to sell me pard,,,,I love the CT. My 8 1/2, 3 wt is my near constant companion on the size trout streams were I live. The 'tighter' ones see my 7 /12 ', 3wt.

Glad you like that CT,,,,,it's an outstanding choice.

Mike
Old 11-07-2013, 06:05 PM

yonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the rough

I'm thinking of an 8-4 to round out my "collection".........

Here I walk slowly, deliberately, taking it one step, one trout, one sunset at a time. -Harry Middleton
Old 11-08-2013, 12:13 AM

fq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by fly_guy12955 View Post
fg13,,now you KNOW you can't do that without an 800 dollar 'teckie' fast action wonder rod !

Mike
Best part is that with them being on sale for seventy five bucks I can break nine of them beating sense into gear snobs and still save money over an Orvis.

In fairness, the retail price point of $160 is very legit. I'm glad I got it at seventy five, but I don't expect that. I just wish more companies would focus on putting out quality gear in the $100 to $200 range rather than selling $800 nonsense as it would grow our sport.
Old 11-08-2013, 10:06 AM

fishers_fisherman will become famous soon enough

Been reading your reviews on the CT's and decided to go for one in a 4wt, kicking myself now though as the Cabelas $75 sale apparently just ended (up to $99 now). Was there another retailer you know of that was still selling for $75? Not that it's a huge differnce but still wouldn't mind saving a few bucks.
Old 11-08-2013, 10:09 AM

ia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishers_fisherman View Post
Been reading your reviews on the CT's and decided to go for one in a 4wt, kicking myself now though as the Cabelas $75 sale apparently just ended (up to $99 now). Was there another retailer you know of that was still selling for $75? Not that it's a huge differnce but still wouldn't mind saving a few bucks.
theclymb has them for lower price off and on in various sizes. Go to the sale section. The site is often tough to navigate.

EDIT: They have a 5WT CT on sale for $69 today. I found it under "MORE" then "fishing". Flygear will be hiding somewhere else tomorrow.
yonder likes this.
Old 11-08-2013, 12:09 PM

gregnash will become famous soon enough

So bummed I busted the tip of mine. Now I just got to get it to Redington to repair it but I agree that I love that rod. I started with a crosswater 9' 5wt and figured I would need a second rod at some point. The CT through theCLYMB was the right price so I pulled the trigger. However, after reading the reviews I went out once I got it and became a believer! I had that rod at my local still water reservoir with 10+mph head winds and was able to cast a #16 Mayfly a good 40ft out to land a nice rising rainbow.

Definitely LOVE this rod! Now to find a good reel that offsets the Brown/BurntUmber color? Thinking a Kraken!
Old 11-08-2013, 12:42 PM

yonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregnash View Post
So bummed I busted the tip of mine. Now I just got to get it to Redington to repair it but I agree that I love that rod. I started with a crosswater 9' 5wt and figured I would need a second rod at some point. The CT through theCLYMB was the right price so I pulled the trigger. However, after reading the reviews I went out once I got it and became a believer! I had that rod at my local still water reservoir with 10+mph head winds and was able to cast a #16 Mayfly a good 40ft out to land a nice rising rainbow.

Definitely LOVE this rod! Now to find a good reel that offsets the Brown/BurntUmber color? Thinking a Kraken!
I'm thinking about the Allen trout II in orange!!!

Here I walk slowly, deliberately, taking it one step, one trout, one sunset at a time. -Harry Middleton
Old 11-09-2013, 12:12 PM

Waterborne has a spectacular aura aboutWaterborne has a spectacular aura about

CT's are great rods. I bought a 7'6" 3 weight for backpacking and after chasing my tail for many months for a "better" or "quality" 3 weight, I realized that the CT was already perfectly good enough for everything I needed in a 3 weight.

If I already didn't have a couple 4 weights (Sage 9' and Scott 8'), I'd be perfectly happy with a CT in 864.
yonder likes this.
Old 11-10-2013, 06:31 AM

ctshooter has a spectacular aura aboutctshooter has a spectacular aura about

Sorry if this is been discused before, but what are you refering to as a "CT"

In my world it means "Connecticut"