The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2013, 07:14 PM

fq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Hate at first sight

Today I got my Redington CT three weight. Of course its blowing and raining outside so I can't fish it. But I also got a Cabela's Prestige reel.
I haven't bought a fly reel in ten years, being happy with my Orvis Battenkills. But in the last couple of months I've bought three. I got a Redington pursuit 5\6 and an Okuma Integrity 7\8. Both impressed me with their quality in terms of look, feel, finish and drag right out of the box. They both seemed solid. Now I get this Cabelas. It was retailing for around the same price as the other two at about sixty bucks. But man what a difference, and not in a good way. It looks like it was spray painted with black rustoleum, the reel handle is this cheesy rotating rubber thing that I don't like. I mean a simple round handle like every other fly reel would be much better. And, back to serious issues the drag is far from a smooth start. I hated the thing on sight. So much so that I dug out an old Hardy Perfect and mounted it on the rod. Wow. Talk about night and day. That sixty year old reel looks and feels ten times better than the Prestige, right hand retrive aside. Sad thing is, I won't leave it on as there's no good way to take it apart and I don't want the salt to eat it.

Under normal circumstances I'd send that Cabela's back, but I won't for two reasons. First it was on sale for twenty five bucks and I won't find anything better at the price, and second its a three weight so who cares? The only time I'll touch the reel handle is to wind in at the end of the day. But consider this a warning if you are looking at one. Of course, in all likelyhood I'll be back singing its praises in a few months, and I hope. But for now, if you want an inexpensive reel look at Okuma or Redington.
Old 11-08-2013, 08:25 PM

Waterborne has a spectacular aura aboutWaterborne has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Hate at first sight

The Cabelas Prestige Plus was my first reel.

It's a turd... ugly, heavy, and unrefined. I had it on a 7'6" 3 wt. and it was an awful poorly balanced set up.
Old 11-08-2013, 08:41 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

i had one a few years back, and yes, they are ****.
mine came on a rig i bought off the big auction site
that had a nice rod (and nice line too). who knows why
they put that reel on that rig
the reel is long gone, i think i gave it to a friend.
i would call cabelas and explain your situation. perhaps
you could exchange it for one of there wind river reels, which
get great reviews
Cabela's Wind River Fly Reels : Cabela's
just a thought.

casey
oldtownpaddler likes this.

ARFE
Old 11-08-2013, 08:43 PM

charged has a spectacular aura aboutcharged has a spectacular aura aboutcharged has a spectacular aura about

On a light weight rod like that where a reel is not your primary concern, You could do much better in feel than the cabelas catalog.

I picked up a 2wt, and purchased one of those cheap plastic fly reels you often see on e-bay. For the life of me, I can't manage to find a better replacement for my rod.

It's light as hell, and actually functions very well. I'd like to toss it aside, and pick up something nicer / "respectable", but nicer is not easily obtained when considering light weight, and balance.

I've honestly given up on trying to be fancy, and have accepted that I have the best "performance geared choice" for my 2wt rod......, even though I'm not happy with where my decision on performance has ultimately led me, it is what it is, and if this rod has some plastic reel instead of some nice chunk of alloy metal, so be it.

I'm always going to choose the item that performs best, regardless of cost.

This is the Plastic e-bay Ant King.......... Not some super mini reel, decent size, and smooth enough.

Click the image to open in full size.

I won't call it the best of the best, but at under 20 bucks I'm not sure it could be beat....Performance wise, it might also be hard to beat it at 3-4 times that cost.

Its Plastic, Ugly , and from China. If you can find a way to deal with all that, maybe it will also find a place on your rod..............(or a backup?, if your not quite ready)

Last edited by charged; 11-08-2013 at 09:11 PM.
Old 11-08-2013, 08:45 PM

craigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to behold

Always a bad thing when you hate it upon opening the box. I'm trying to limit the number of rods and reels I collect as I am 99% driftless area small stream trout chaser. I did splurge on the Galvan Brookie.
Old 11-09-2013, 12:31 AM

fq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseywise View Post
i had one a few years back, and yes, they are ****.
mine came on a rig i bought off the big auction site
that had a nice rod (and nice line too). who knows why
they put that reel on that rig
the reel is long gone, i think i gave it to a friend.
i would call cabelas and explain your situation. perhaps
you could exchange it for one of there wind river reels, which
get great reviews
Cabela's Wind River Fly Reels : Cabela's
just a thought.

casey
I took your advice. The reviews were great and I figured why not? In for a penny in for a pound. I called cabelas and they are shipping me a wind river tommorrow, free shipping. They charged my card, but they'll credit it after they get the prestige back. So all I'm out is return shipping. I mean honestly I shouldn't even care. All the reel is is a line holder on a three weight, but sometimes aesthetics matter and lord I hate that prestige. Glad to see I'm in good company. Hopefully this reel will work.
caseywise and oldtownpaddler like this.
Old 11-09-2013, 09:16 AM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

Quote:
Originally Posted by fq13 View Post
I took your advice. The reviews were great and I figured why not? In for a penny in for a pound. I called cabelas and they are shipping me a wind river tommorrow, free shipping. They charged my card, but they'll credit it after they get the prestige back. So all I'm out is return shipping. I mean honestly I shouldn't even care. All the reel is is a line holder on a three weight, but sometimes aesthetics matter and lord I hate that prestige. Glad to see I'm in good company. Hopefully this reel will work.
glad that worked out.
hope the new reel works out

casey

ARFE
Old 11-09-2013, 06:55 PM

jimp has a spectacular aura aboutjimp has a spectacular aura aboutjimp has a spectacular aura about

I put a WR1 on my CT 4wt 8'6", it's a bit handle heavy with the WR1, but the set up still casts nice, IMO, but I'm a newb at this sport so take it with a grain of salt.
Old 11-10-2013, 03:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimp View Post
I put a WR1 on my CT 4wt 8'6", it's a bit handle heavy with the WR1, but the set up still casts nice, IMO, but I'm a newb at this sport so take it with a grain of salt.
What's a WR 1?

PS screw the newbie ****. We don't play that on this boad, everybody is welcome.
Old 11-10-2013, 09:04 AM

tpo has a spectacular aura abouttpo has a spectacular aura abouttpo has a spectacular aura about

I respect everyone's views, but I have been happy with my Prestige Plus's. My summary assessment is:

Good:
- low cost (while list is $50, they often on sale for $25-30)
- I don't think they look bad; maybe my standards aren't high
- drag is quite functional, adjusts easily and I find can protect Tippett OK for my trout fishing. I have the big model (3.75" dia) I use for bass fishing but have never used the drag, just hold on and pull like hell!5
- holds up to some abuse, clunk on rocks, sand in the drag will wash out, etc (although one was bent/ruined when it fell out of my SUV to the garage floor)

Bad:
- heavy; I don't have the small model for that reason
- paint can chip
- have had spare spools that don't fit the reels I have, sent them back for replacements that fit.

The best reel I have is a Ross Cimmaron and there is no doubt a quality difference but I find the Prestige Plus works fine for my needs

Tom
ia_trouter likes this.