The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By williamhj
  • 1 Post By tx_newb
  • 2 Post By fiend540
  • 2 Post By williamhj

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2013, 07:29 PM

tx_newb is on a distinguished road
Default Well I picked a good time to take up fly fishing...

Bought my first (since I was a kid at least), fly rod a month or so ago. I bought it partially for a trip to the Eleven Point River in Missouri I was planning, and partially just to have one to start using locally (Texas).

Well...since then I've found out I'm most likely going to relocate to Denver for work. I know, I know....poor me! Only problem is I ended up going with a 6 wt because I figured it would be more versatile around where I live...so now I suppose I'll have to look into adding a 4 or 5 wt to the arsenal (just don't tell the fiance, we're supposed to be saving for a wedding)

Obviously there will be enough awesome places to fish within a couple hour drive of Denver to keep me busy on weekends when fishing season gets going, but are there any close to town for anyone familiar with the area? Any fly shops in/around Denver recommended by the forum users here? I'll post this in the Rocky Mountian Range forum if I don't get many answeres here but I figured most users who would be willing to offer tips frequent the general as well.
Old 11-08-2013, 07:47 PM

fq13 is just really nicefq13 is just really nicefq13 is just really nicefq13 is just really nice
Default Re: Well I picked a good time to take up fly fishing...

Howdy, if you're in Austin hit the Urban Angler and they will hook you up. My condolences on leaving Tx. It was the worst mistake I ever made. Since you're going to Colorado I'd highly reccomend Towne's Van Zandt's Snowing on Raton as driving music. Hell his kid JT worked in that fly shop. B-)

As for rods? Normally I'd have a few suggestions, but now time is pressing as there is great closeout going on. Buy a Reddington CT in a nine foot four weight since you already have a six, otherwise I'd say buy a five. theclymd .com supposedly has them for sixty nine bucks or you can find them in the Cabelas bargain cave for ninety nine. It was seventy five three days ago. If you doubt me on this read the CT threads in general disscussion, there are three of them. No one has anything bad to say about these rods and they are currently a steal. Buy one of these. I don't care if you can afford a Sage, I have one of those myself, but deals like this don't come around often. Even at $100 from Cabelas its a bargain.
Old 11-08-2013, 07:57 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to Denver! You'll find some of the worst drivers around here are from Texas... some of the best came by way of Michigan. Just an observation.

You'll get use out of your 6wt no problem. Larger rivers, big flies, heavy nymph rigs, windy conditions a 6wt can be great. Not that much difference between a 5wt and a 6wt anyways. Oh and there's some warm water opportunities around here too.

You'll probably enjoy picking up a 7'5" - 8' 3wt or 8'6" 9' 4wt. to compliment your 6wt. If you are a gear head I'd get a shorter 3wt and a 10ft 4wt, my new favorite rod.

Lots of great fly shops: Charlies Fly box in Arvada, Trouts Fly Fishing in Denver, Angler's All down in Littleton, Blue Quill in Evergreen are some of my favorites but you'll find more.
tx_newb likes this.
Old 11-08-2013, 08:14 PM

tx_newb is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamhj View Post
Welcome to Denver! You'll find some of the worst drivers around here are from Texas... some of the best came by way of Michigan. Just an observation.

You'll get use out of your 6wt no problem. Larger rivers, big flies, heavy nymph rigs, windy conditions a 6wt can be great. Not that much difference between a 5wt and a 6wt anyways. Oh and there's some warm water opportunities around here too.

You'll probably enjoy picking up a 7'5" - 8' 3wt or 8'6" 9' 4wt. to compliment your 6wt. If you are a gear head I'd get a shorter 3wt and a 10ft 4wt, my new favorite rod.

Lots of great fly shops: Charlies Fly box in Arvada, Trouts Fly Fishing in Denver, Angler's All down in Littleton, Blue Quill in Evergreen are some of my favorites but you'll find more.
Thanks for the suggestions, and I'll let the driving comment slide...we have bad drivers from all over down here

I thought about maybe looking into a Tenkara setup as we'll be doing some backpacking and it seems that might be a good option.

We won't be moving until January, how's the fishing on days when weather permits in the winter? Any good areas to try until spring?

---------- Post added at 08:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:11 PM ----------

I'll also probably take advantage of a guided trip at some point after the move, figure that would be a good way to learn a little technique for the region and more so fly fishing in general as I'm still a newb to it.
williamhj likes this.
Old 11-08-2013, 08:55 PM

gfirob is a jewel in the roughgfirob is a jewel in the roughgfirob is a jewel in the roughgfirob is a jewel in the rough

Just a tip, take it or leave it, but if you really want to save some money for fly fishing (short term and long term) cancel the wedding. And you'll have a lot more time for fishing too.

Just a thought...
Old 11-08-2013, 09:21 PM

fiend540 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I can get behind this, you'll find that any precipitation means everyone loses all ability to drive normal. Good thing the weather here is so damn nice

Quote:
I've heard/had good experiences with all of these shops. I normally shop at Trouts because of how close they are to my house and I can't say enough how helpful they have been for someone like me who is relatively new to the area/fly fishing.
williamhj and tx_newb like this.
Old 11-08-2013, 09:29 PM

craigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to behold

Tenkara can be a blast I spent the last year fishing nothing but. TenkaraUSA founder lives in CO now. Lots of Tenkara guys from teh CO area all around.
Old 11-08-2013, 09:36 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tx_newb View Post
I thought about maybe looking into a Tenkara setup as we'll be doing some backpacking and it seems that might be a good option.

We won't be moving until January, how's the fishing on days when weather permits in the winter? Any good areas to try until spring?
Tenkara is a great rod for around here. There's a Colorado Tenkara facebook group that is worth checking out. It would work well for backpacking as well as a lot of the front range streams.

Fishing can be 365 in Colorado. Even when things are frozen tailwaters can fish well. Running down the south platte you've got Spinney, 11 Mile, Cheesman, and Waterton Canyon as well as below Chatfield and further up in the mountains the Blue below Lake Dillon and Green Mountain Reservoir can fish all year and are within 2 hours or less of Denver.
tx_newb and craigthor like this.