The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By fichy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2013, 08:32 PM

ontariooutdoorsman is on a distinguished road
Default Great lakes steelhead question??

Long story short. Started fly fishing about 16 years ago....became too busy in life...just starting again...just joined forum. I very recently purchased a Hardy Ultra-lite 5000 CLS and ended up buying a Greys GRXI 8 wt rod as I live close to four creeks and and one river that rainbows run up from L. Ontario. The Hardy 5000 CLS is actually for 5 to 7 wt reel so when I put the 20lb backing on I was only able to get about 100 meters of backing. This is plenty for the Oshawa, Bowmanwille, and Wilmont creeks, However, if I'm fishing the lower end of the Ganaraska River which is plenty wider, is 100 meters of backing enough on a 8 wt set up? Mainly I'm into speckled trout but I live to close to these steelhead waters to ignore them. Need to know as can save the reel for my future 6 wt I was planning on but don't want to have to buy another larger reel if I don't have to.
Old 11-08-2013, 10:18 PM

ted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Great lakes steelhead question??

Generally speaking, if a steelhead manages to get 100 yards of backing out on you, you have already lost the fish. They're too strong and smart to be given that kind of room to find a snag.

You should be just fine with the 100 yards. but if you don't feel comfortable with it, then you can absolutely save it for the 6wt and pick up a larger reel.
Old 11-08-2013, 11:11 PM

Thanks for the reply, good information.
Old 11-09-2013, 08:03 AM

fichy will become famous soon enough

Going into the backing is a function of tippet size. I generally use 7-12 lb. tippet on steelhead and try to control them by keeping the rod angle low, changing directions on them, and occasionally walking after them if they drop into fast water. Don't set the drag loosely- tire the fish with it, and keep the pressure on. Keep the fish off balance and moving- don't let it just sit in the current. Try to use as heavy a tippet as you feel you can get away with. I've had maybe 30 yds. of backing out on a hot chrome, very fresh in the lower part of a river. Considering that fish is close to 200' away at that point, you are in fairly deep trouble already. I agree with ted entirely- that 100 yds. should never be a problem.
waterfordcreek likes this.
Old 11-09-2013, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fichy View Post
Going into the backing is a function of tippet size. I generally use 7-12 lb. tippet on steelhead and try to control them by keeping the rod angle low, changing directions on them, and occasionally walking after them if they drop into fast water. Don't set the drag loosely- tire the fish with it, and keep the pressure on. Keep the fish off balance and moving- don't let it just sit in the current. Try to use as heavy a tippet as you feel you can get away with. I've had maybe 30 yds. of backing out on a hot chrome, very fresh in the lower part of a river. Considering that fish is close to 200' away at that point, you are in fairly deep trouble already. I agree with ted entirely- that 100 yds. should never be a problem.
Thanks thats what I needed to know
Old 11-09-2013, 07:55 PM

josie will become famous soon enough

What fichy said...i have 150 yds of backing on my hardy marquis 8/9 and have never had an issue. I wish i could hook into a chromer big enough to clean me off...