The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By Rip Tide
  • 1 Post By williamhj

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2013, 12:03 PM

flymoron is on a distinguished road
Default Fly fishing with bait?

I know this isn't really fly fishing but....I just saw this on the Little Red river, a guy fishing with a with a clear bubble and fly setup, except on his fly he had a piece of Berkley power bait, and he was catching fish! anyone ever seen this?

Last edited by flymoron; 11-09-2013 at 12:20 PM.
Old 11-09-2013, 12:21 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fly fishing with bait?

When I was a kid, I often fished a worm or a chunk of night crawler with my fly rod. It wasn't unusual as most people back then carried some "garden hackle" in their vest pocket. At least the ones that I knew.
It's actually a very good way to learn to "high stick"
No reason to do that now however..... I don't feel the "need" to catch fish that badly.
yonder and craigthor like this.
Old 11-09-2013, 12:42 PM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of

Yes! Opinions will vary about whether or not it's "fly fishing" or not. If the guy is using any tackle other than a fly rod, then IMO he's simply fishing with a fly, not fly fishing. It's not an uncommon practice. The power bait thing is not fly fishing, it's lure or bait fishing & there again opinions vary on it.

When I was tying flies commercially, there's a shad fly I tie that a local shop was selling the heck out of them. The owner told me that the majority were being sold to guys who used them with spinning tackle for Perch, not fly tackle. Not "fly fishing", but again fishing with a "fly". There's a difference.

Whatever works, as long as it's legal. Here in MD, the only concern about "fly fishing" is on designated trout streams. The state has a definition of what is "fly fishing" & what is a "fly". Power bait & similar lures are not legal. Even molded plastics are not legal. This is all about what's legal & what's not, & what's enforceable & has nothing to do with opinions.

There are also "artificial only" trout waters & again Power bait is not allowed. MD excludes anything that emits a scent on such trout streams. They define such things as bait. A regular plastic grub is allowed however. On some sections of trout streams where they allow bait, Power bait would be fine.

As far as any other fishing, most anything goes as far as lures & flies. Baits can be tricky, as some things are not legal, (invasive & protected species & such) but generally if it's used commonly as bait, it's OK. MD has a 2 hook per line limit however, it doesn't apply to lures with trebles. Again all in the legal definitions.

IMO, as long as it's legal, if it works, then I see no reason not to try it if you wish. Heck, when I was kid growing up, I tried all kinds of baits with my fly rod, even Power bait. It was almost as much fun catching hoppers, crickets, minnows & crayfish as it was fishing!

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 11-09-2013, 12:59 PM

fq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of light

I ain't too proud to stick a 1"gulp on a number 16 hook if nothing else interests the bluegills. And nothing wrong with that. I'd rather catch fish with a fly, preferably one I tied… But I'd sure as hell rather catch fish then not.

Last edited by fq13; 11-09-2013 at 01:34 PM.
Old 11-09-2013, 01:00 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

I've posted it before, but pick up a copy of "The Nick Adams Stories" by Hemingway and read Big Two Hearted River. Nick fishes live grasshoppers with his bamboo fly rod. Not my approach but I wouldn't want to be the one to tell Hemingway he's not really fly fishing.
yonder likes this.
Old 11-09-2013, 01:32 PM

von behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud of

If you need to put food on the table to survive, by all means, do what you have to do. However, for the sporting aspect of it, I wouldn't think the traditional fly fishers would call that fair play.
Old 11-09-2013, 01:56 PM

moxnichts will become famous soon enoughmoxnichts will become famous soon enough

This post just makes me think of good times as a kid with the original "power bait" Velveeta cheese. At least you could fish with half and eat the other half. Can't say I've never used it, but I hate having that Power Bait and the likes all over the place, especially when I'm trying to eat my PBJ sandwich.
Old 11-09-2013, 02:23 PM

kglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond repute

It always rattles me when I'm on a float through the Box Canyon stretch of the Henry's Fork and while I'm stopped and wading somewhere a few chunks of rainbow Power Bait float by...

My dad and grandfather used to use worms and Pautzke's Balls 'O Fire off of their bamboo fly rods pretty regularly.

Now, as far as a fly and a bubble setup, I cut my teeth on this rig when I was young. High mountain lakes with a water half-filled clear bubble trailing either a Renegade, a Gray Hackle Yellow or a red-butted Wooly Worm always produced big time.

Kelly.
Old 11-09-2013, 02:58 PM

flymoron is on a distinguished road

It all sounds good to me!