The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2013, 04:56 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Ice Fishing

Being a naturally curious fellow, I was wondering how many of our members ice fish? And for those of you who do, are nymphs or streamers ever used for success? I look forward to the day I can give ice-fishing a shot, just looks like a real hoot to me.

Dave
Old 11-09-2013, 05:15 PM

bmxrider11976 will become famous soon enoughbmxrider11976 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Ice Fishing

I do! I've been prepping my ice gear recently...although it won't be here in New Jersey til January. I don't use streamers, but scud type nymphs jigged vertically has been successful. Typically though, I use small tungsten jigs tipped with a wax worm or maggot. Trout in my area are hard to come by through the ice, so my typical quarry are bluegills, perch, and crappie. It's really a hoot, especially when using a fish finder! You can watch your jig as it goes up and down, and see fish come up off the bottom and suck your jig in! Almost like playing a video game. If you do get out and need any pointers, let me know! Click the image to open in full size.
pszy22, littledavid123 and siege like this.
Old 11-09-2013, 05:18 PM

fq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by littledavid123 View Post
Being a naturally curious fellow, I was wondering how many of our members ice fish? And for those of you who do, are nymphs or streamers ever used for success? I look forward to the day I can give ice-fishing a shot, just looks like a real hoot to me.

Dave
You look forward to ice fishing? Lord I'd look forward to a prostate exam or root canal more. Anything that involves this Florida boy out in weather cold enough that the ice is thick enough to walk is a nonstarter for me. Don't get me wrong, if that's what's available go for it, but me and seriously cold weather do not get along. I'm cold just thinking about it.
Old 11-09-2013, 05:37 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

BMX: Thanks, when retirement comes in a couple I am gonna take you up on that advice.

FQ13: LOL, gotta admit I like your style, whether I agree or not... Have always been more of a cold weather guy. Someone on here once said when told that I was retiring to Montana. "It's great, 10 months of excellent snow skiing and two months of sub-par snow-mobileing"

Dave
Old 11-09-2013, 06:31 PM

BigJim2x is a jewel in the roughBigJim2x is a jewel in the roughBigJim2x is a jewel in the rough

My thought is that who ever came up with ice fishing had serious marital problems but it is fun trying to explain to someone from Georgia.

Jim
Old 11-09-2013, 06:47 PM

fq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmuehl View Post
My thought is that who ever came up with ice fishing had serious marital problems but it is fun trying to explain to someone from Georgia.

Jim
I had a buddy in grad school. He was from Wisconsin and tried to explain it to me. He said it was all about getting together with your buddies, drinking beer and listening to the Packers' game on radio. I said, yeah, but you can do all of that in the house with the heat on and the beer doesn't freeze.
Old 11-09-2013, 07:33 PM

duker is just really niceduker is just really niceduker is just really niceduker is just really niceduker is just really nice

I used to ice fish--up here in the NWT, not surprisingly, we have a lot of ice in the winters, and the lake in front of our house is already frozen over--but I gave it up after a few years. Too damn cold, the fishing is always hit and miss, and not to be a snob or anything but if I'm not casting I don't think of it as fishing. Also, you can forget releasing anything you've just hauled out of a hole in the ice, and these days I tend to be more of a catch-and-release guy.

I remember going out with friends once with our trusty 5' hand auger. We drilled through the ice as far as we could, only to find that there was still about a foot or more to go through (have I mentioned how cold our winters are?). Since we didn't have an extension for the auger we gave up and went home and drank our beer there.

Finally, there's something kind of desperate about staring at a dark hole in the ice jigging for a fish. Didn't Nietzsche say something to the effect that when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you?

Scott
pszy22 and littledavid123 like this.
Old 11-09-2013, 07:59 PM

pszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to behold

I've been ice fishing longer than I've been fly fishing. I find ice fishing similar to short line nymphing. I I've been using a fly fishing reel for about the past 15 year when ice fishing, and very much prefer it to a spinning reel

Click the image to open in full size.

It's funny, I feel the same as Scott, it is mesmerizing to concentrate on a single black hole surrounded by a field of pure white. I very much enjoy it.
littledavid123 likes this.

Tenkara Fly Fishing

Tenkara Fly Fishing Forum

Tenkara Fly Fishing Blog

"People tend to get the politicians and the fishing tackle they deserve" - John Gierach, Fishing Bamboo
Old 11-09-2013, 08:58 PM

siege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant future

My friend Bubba says he will never go ice fishing again. By the time they made a hole big enough to launch the bass boat, it was too dark to fish.
littledavid123 likes this.
Old 11-09-2013, 09:39 PM

Ice fishing for a fly-fisherman means breaking the ice out far enough to cast a line. Quote: Somebody on the forum.

Dave