The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By bigjim5589
  • 1 Post By fq13
  • 2 Post By fq13

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2013, 04:38 PM

fq13 is just really nicefq13 is just really nicefq13 is just really nicefq13 is just really nice
Default Coyote tail

I have friend with a 'yote problemm. They ate his cat. Sadly for them, this was a scant two weeks after he got the suppressor for his AR. The man is on a mission, he loved that kitten. But I'm thinking Wile 's poor choice of which cat to eat could be our gain. I mentioned to him how good fox tail was for fly tying. We both figure coyote would be even better as the hair is longer and its very water reppellent. The question we both have is this. After detaching it from the south end of a coyote, how do you dry, salt and preserve it so it can sit on the tying bench and not stink up the house? If someone knows please post, as coyote tails will be offered soon after. I mean hell, he's mumbling about IR goggles and needs to defray the expense. He really loved that cat.
Old 11-10-2013, 04:53 PM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Coyote tail

You posted on another site & I replied. The entire hide would be useful & valued IMO.

Check this out, which I also posted on the other site. Should help explain some fur handling.

http://www.furharvesters.com/pdf/pelthandling.pdf

I already have coyote tails, and really like tying with it.
baseman1 likes this.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 11-10-2013, 05:07 PM

fq13 is just really nicefq13 is just really nicefq13 is just really nicefq13 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjim5589 View Post
You posted on another site & I replied. The entire hide would be useful & valued IMO.

Check this out, which I also posted on the other site. Should help explain some fur handling.

http://www.furharvesters.com/pdf/pelthandling.pdf

I already have coyote tails, and really like tying with it.
Thanks for responding. I've been posting anywhere I thought I could good info. I'm looking forward to the road runner fly.
baseman1 likes this.
Old 11-10-2013, 06:48 PM

random user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the rough

I agree. There is no reason to waste the pelt.

Simple hide processing: http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/fo...rocessing.html

Also. coyote ties-up and acts the same in the water as dog hair.
Old 11-10-2013, 08:32 PM

monkeyboy is a jewel in the roughmonkeyboy is a jewel in the roughmonkeyboy is a jewel in the roughmonkeyboy is a jewel in the rough

a trapper friend of mine told me just a few minutes ago he realized $65 on a Coyote pelt at the fur auction.
I'd say sell the pelt and buy some material with the money.
by the way anyone have any Muskrat fur pieces to trade or sell or give away?

buzz

the universe in a drop of water

Norta Mudzoory
Old 11-10-2013, 09:00 PM

okbow68 has a spectacular aura aboutokbow68 has a spectacular aura about

First thing I do is spray them with raid. Coyotes are thick with fleas and ticks.
Old 11-10-2013, 09:05 PM

siege is a splendid one to beholdsiege is a splendid one to beholdsiege is a splendid one to beholdsiege is a splendid one to beholdsiege is a splendid one to beholdsiege is a splendid one to beholdsiege is a splendid one to behold

Coyote fur was used on military parkas for years because it doesn't frost up. It is an excellent tying material, and well worth the effort to tie with.
We hunted coyotes in the 70's and it paid very well. There was a bounty on them due to the livestock deaths they caused. We got paid for each tail provided to the livestock association, and paid again for the pelt by a fur buyer, and a third time for the carcass from a petfood manufacturer.
We made a lot of money, and saved a lot of calves and lambs that season.
If you do harvest your own, wear rubber gloves until you inspect the pelts and are sure they are not manegy or flea infested.
Old 11-10-2013, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyboy View Post
a trapper friend of mine told me just a few minutes ago he realized $65 on a Coyote pelt at the fur auction.
I'd say sell the pelt and buy some material with the money.
by the way anyone have any Muskrat fur pieces to trade or sell or give away?

buzz
You know your life has gotten weird when you can anwer that question in the affirmative. Even weirder when you have to dig through, antelope, skunk, deer, badger and mink hide to find it. But yeah, I have a small NIB pack in a natural russet. Make me an offer. BTW the price is free just send me a couple of your tied flies and its good alternativly I'll settle for a spool of 3/0 thread.
von behr and siege like this.