The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2010, 05:01 PM

Vans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud of
Default New member into

Howdy

I just joined and thought i would post instead of lurking for months on end.

I am a life long(42) fisherman and have fished for almost everything here in the Pac NW. The last 10 years of so i havent fished much because in the time i have gotten married and had a child. Now however, i feel the urge to get back into it. Instead of picking up the spinning combo or bait casting rods, i am going to finally follow through on my desire to pick up a fly rod.

I have been fascinated by fly fishing all my life but for some reason never got around to trying it. That is gonna change. Thankfully i live in a state with lots of places to hone my new skills.

I have already picked up some starter gear and have been reading up and watching videos on techniques and forms, and all the other stuff that goes along with it.

I just need to get that practice into actual use. I have already decided to take a few classes and a local shop. I think Kaufmann's Streamborn in Tigard is actually the closest to me. Seems like the perfect place to start.

Love the site here and there is a ton of info to learn.

Thanks
Old 08-01-2010, 05:25 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New member into

Vans: Welcome to the forum! Sounds like you are headed off in the correct direction, kudos to you for deciding to get with your local fly shop for some help, you will be amazed at how some hands on training will accelerate your learning curve and like you said there is a ton of information on YouTube and other sites to help also. Keep us posted on your progress and don't hesitate to ask for help, we have lots of expertise on this site and the members are more than willing to lend a hand.

Larry
Old 08-01-2010, 09:03 PM

boreal is on a distinguished road

Welcome to the addiction.

I'm fresh (April '10) as well.

Some good crew here and willing to help.
"I knew a tier once. One time he was holding a lump of cat hair he found on his couch, sort of twirling it about his fingers, tugging at it. I asked, what in the hell are you doing man? He looked startled, ashamed. But I knew what he was thinking. right then and there I decided to just buy my fly's thankyouverymuch." ~ cwg
Old 08-02-2010, 12:27 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hi Van,

You will pick up good real world information just by reading posts here especially those that are in answer to a question that started the thread. There are many members here with great depth of knowledge and various expertise. I participate here for those very reasons, this is a great group and a great place to learn. You could almost say that the NAFFF is like a river of knowledge that you can dip into at any time.

Welcome to the river,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 08-02-2010, 11:19 AM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome.
You live in a beautiful area.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 08-02-2010, 02:24 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Van......from across the pond
Old 08-02-2010, 06:25 PM

Vans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud of

Thanks for the welcome. Ive been reading a lot on this site and am amazed at all the info. A great resource.

I went into Kaufmann's today. I was pretty nervous standing so close to so many $800 rods. I was afraid i was going to trip or something and be the cause of a catastrophe.

All went well however and i got signed up for a one one one class to be held this Friday night. I am excited to get started.