The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree8Likes
  • 7 Post By fq13
  • 1 Post By fq13

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2013, 06:49 AM

fq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Who needs coffee? I have blue gills.

I got up early again this morning to beat the blustrery winds we've been plauged with the last week. I hit the ponds at first light throwing a size ten bugger for blue gills. What a blast! I caught 9 i n about an hour on a 3 wt. None were big. Most were hand size, an Oscar might have gone nine or ten inches. But then again, that's why I bought the rod. I love this three weight! Short casts for small fish are fun. That nine inch oscar on the 3 felt like a two pound bass on my six weight. It was a great morning. No hassel and a nice tug on a light rod. What more do you want?
Old 11-12-2013, 12:52 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Who needs coffee? I have blue gills.

Sounds like a lot of fun! Still need coffee!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 11-12-2013, 12:57 PM

rickf is a jewel in the roughrickf is a jewel in the roughrickf is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by fq13 View Post
What more do you want?
fq,

What I want is a 000 this winter? Gills on a 3 wt are a blast ...... but next year I'm taking it to the limit!

No more big size 10 woolybuggers, just small dries on a 000 for this guy. I catch 9"ers in deep water with my spin rod ...... but my fun will be the abundant 5"ers with my tiny rod!

I'm sick of catchin' big fish ........ I will target the tiny ones next year!
Old 11-12-2013, 05:16 PM

fq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of light

I wIll eagerly await a range report on that sir. I'm Amazed at how light the three weight is. I can't imagine a 000. I went out again tonight. I used the five weight hoping for a bass, but no dice.. It was too early. But man the gills had the feed bag on. There's a front coming through tommorow and they were all over that wooly bugger. Every thing from four inchers out to about eight or nine. It was like I was getting one every fourth cast, or so it seemed. And the CT was light enough to make them all fun, particularly the hand sized onesd. I'm sure it would do the same for an eight or ten inch trout. It is just a great rod.I'd buy a Reddington hat, but I'd hate to help make them trendy. Then they might start harging what they're worth. If they made the CT in an eight weight for bass I'd stand in line buy it.
mcnerney likes this.

Last edited by fq13; 11-12-2013 at 05:40 PM.