The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 4 Post By silver creek
  • 1 Post By trout trekker

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2013, 12:29 PM

randyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to all
Default 303 Protectant and Fly Lines and Waders

I just bought the 303 wipes. According to the directions I should wipe the protectant dry right after I apply it.

When using Armor All on my waders - this is what Cabela's recommends - I would just let it dry.

Should I just let the 303 dry, or should I wipe it with a cloth?

Thanks,

Randy
Old 11-12-2013, 01:05 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 303 Protectant and Fly Lines and Waders

With all due respect to Cabelas, I think whoever told you to use these on waders is wrong.

The only treatment that should be done to breathable waders is to renew the Durable Water Repellency (DWR) coating.

What happens is the Durable Water Repellency (DWR) coating on the exterior fabric of waders gets dirty, impeding the chemical action that causes water to bead up.

Why does a breathable fabric need water repellency? Because when a gortex garment is coated with water, the water vapor that passes through the Gortex membrane is trapped from escaping to the outside air. So the garment cannot breath. The garment acts just like a solid sheet of plastic and your perspiration is trapped and condenses on the inside of the garment and on your clothing. This is a phenomenon called "wet out".

Read what Gortex says.

Restoring Water Repellency - GORE-TEX® Products

"You can restore the garment’s water repellency by applying a topical water repellency restorative (DWR treatment) for outdoor fabrics, available at your local outdoor retailer. We do not recommend wash-in treatments, as they can hinder your garment's breathability."

Here is a primer on how to care for breathable garments by REI.

Rainwear: Durable Water Repellent (DWR) Care

I use Nikwax TX.Direct. It has performed well for me. The product you use to wash your waders is important. It should be a powder and not a liquid, and it should be unscented. That is to prevent any detergent residues that would interfere with the DWR application or seal the Gortex pores. I use Ivory Snow unscented powder. Alternatively, you can use a residue free product like Sport-Wash.

To use the Nikwax TX.Direct, wash your wader or rainwear and rinse well. Hang it up outside and allow the water to drip off. While still damp, spray the wader or garment with Nikwax TX.Direct and cover all areas. Then put in your dryer and dry on the "Permanent Press Low Heat Cycle." Put the suspenders of the waders into a sock to protect them while the DWR sets.

Follow the manufacturer's direction if you use another DWR.

I wrote an article for our TU Chapter Newsletter years ago.

http://www.wrvtu.org/pdfs/TU%20newsl...une%202010.pdf
mojo, von behr, jaybo41 and 1 others like this.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 11-12-2013, 02:27 PM

trout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to behold

With respect to fly lines, here is what Rio has to say:

We strongly suggest not using the many automotive products that are recommended for cleaning fly lines. These products have chemicals in that will certainly de-plasticize the fly line, leaving it dry and cracked over time. Use a cleaning agent manufactured and sold by a fly line company.

Cleaning Fly Lines - Fishing Tips | RIO

TT
jaybo41 likes this.
Old 11-12-2013, 07:38 PM

duker is just really niceduker is just really niceduker is just really niceduker is just really niceduker is just really nice

This is a timely thread, as I'm just about to wash my waders and put them away for the season.

Silver, is it a good idea to put Gore-tex waders in the dryer, even on low heat? My worry is that the heat from the dryer will adversely affect the sealed seams. I read your article--very helpful--but I'm paranoid that putting my new Simms in the dryer will do more harm than good. Having said that, I do spray my Gore-tex jacket with Revivex and put that in the dryer, so maybe I'm worrying for nothing.

Thanks for the tips.

Scott
Old 11-12-2013, 07:44 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by duker View Post
This is a timely thread, as I'm just about to wash my waders and put them away for the season.

Silver, is it a good idea to put Gore-tex waders in the dryer, even on low heat? My worry is that the heat from the dryer will adversely affect the sealed seams. I read your article--very helpful--but I'm paranoid that putting my new Simms in the dryer will do more harm than good. Having said that, I do spray my Gore-tex jacket with Revivex and put that in the dryer, so maybe I'm worrying for nothing.

Thanks for the tips.

Scott
Scott,

If you go to the first link in my post, Gortex says to tumble dry.

Restoring Water Repellency - GORE-TEX® Products

"GORE-TEX® outerwear:

Machine wash your garment as described in the wash instructions. Line dry your garment, or tumble dry it on a warm, gentle cycle.

Once it is dry, tumble dry your garment for 20 minutes to reactivate the durable water-repellent (DWR) treatment on the outer fabric."

DWRs actually require heat activation. See the following quotes from Rainwear: Durable Water Repellent (DWR) Care

"Next step: Apply heat. After washing, exposure to heat does the most to bring a DWR back to life. Generally speaking, you should place the garment in a dryer set for medium heat for up to 15 minutes......

"As long as the DWR has not been worn off of the fabric, then heat can revive the DWR," says Verniers. .... The DWR chemical is drawn toward the heat and the molecular chain is also 'straightened out' again."...... "Since you really only need heat, at Marmot we suggest washing the garment and putting it in a medium-heat dryer for about 15 minutes. If the jacket is clean you can just do the dryer thing and it should help. Maybe not like new, but better."

REMOVE the garment/waders as soon as the dryer stops tumbling since some dryers can get hotter after they stop

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

Last edited by silver creek; 11-12-2013 at 08:02 PM.
Old 11-12-2013, 08:45 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

I use Revivex to refresh GoreTex waders and non GoreTex jackets and on the instructions it specifies that to get the product to set in, you must dry it. Tumble on low has always done well for me. Now what the OP did not specify was are the waders in question made from breathable materials or are they neoprene? Neo's may sway my opinion, but admittedly, I haven't worn them in years.

Silver gave great detail which I am in agreement with. I follow the manufacturer's instructions on how to treat them. Orvis and Simms both have similar recommendations and I've followed those with good results.

Here's what Simms recommends;

Interestingly, I called a company about a non GoreTex jacket that I own that failed recently. They asked me if I washed it and asked me to describe the process. I wash it with detergent that leaves behind no residue, use Revivex and then put them in the dryer, tumble on low. That was also their recommendation as to how to treat them.
Old 11-12-2013, 10:29 PM

duker is just really niceduker is just really niceduker is just really niceduker is just really niceduker is just really nice

Thanks Silver and Jaybo. Much appreciated.

Scott