The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2008, 06:45 PM

Stephen Q is on a distinguished road
Question Barbless vs. mashing barbed hooks.

Have began to tie only barbless hooks mostly sizes 14-20, prefer big eyes but can't find except Orvis, does it really make much difference to mash existing or even all future flies as opposed to the difficulty and higher price of barbless. Also any advice on where i can get them, either locally (Winston-Salem NC) or on line would be appreciated. by the way my first time on line, could not find the community introduction they talked about. thanks.
Stephen Q
Old 02-17-2008, 07:52 PM

tbrillinger223 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Barbless vs. mashing barbed hooks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Q View Post
Have began to tie only barbless hooks mostly sizes 14-20, prefer big eyes but can't find except Orvis, does it really make much difference to mash existing or even all future flies as opposed to the difficulty and higher price of barbless. Also any advice on where i can get them, either locally (Winston-Salem NC) or on line would be appreciated. by the way my first time on line, could not find the community introduction they talked about. thanks.
Stephen Q
Staphen

First off welcome to the group and look forward to your questions and input.

As for the barbless vs. flattened barb, as long as you "mash" the barb towards the same direction the barb is pointing and not across the barb, you shouldnt have any problems with hook failure. If you crush the barb with too much force you could cause the hook point to become brittle and break under the pressure of a fish. dont crush the barb by applying too much pressure, but simply use a good pair of needle nosed pliers or forceps to bend the barb down to the shank.

There was an earlier post about barbed or barbless you might want to check it out. one of the reasons that hooks have barbs is to hold bait. If you keep proper tension on the line you will almost never loose a fish. ( not referring to knot failures, line breakage, equipment failure or human error)

hope this helps
Old 02-17-2008, 08:11 PM

GRN will become famous soon enough

I flatten my barbs with forceps which, in general unless you really try, do not have the leverage to damage most hooks. I have never experienced a hook failure, and the resulting 'barblessness' is clean enough that by allowing slack at the right time I release about 4 of 5 fish caught without having to touch them with anything at all. I see no reason to spend extra time and money seeking flies tied on barbless hooks, but I do appreciate those who support them so they will keep being made for those who desire to buy them that way.

TL's~

I choose fly rods the same way I do women, motorcycles, and cowboy boots...
go with what ever feels good, and keep on hand as many as I can afford
Old 02-17-2008, 11:34 PM

ezamora is a jewel in the roughezamora is a jewel in the roughezamora is a jewel in the rough

are the barbless hooks really that much more expensive than their barbed version? i picked up a 100 count box of barbless hooks a couple of years ago and they seemed the same price as the barbed version. i'm talking about standard dry flies in size 12-16 basically.

eric
fresno, ca.
Old 02-18-2008, 12:24 AM

GeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to GeorgeMcFly Send a message via Yahoo to GeorgeMcFly

I mash all my barbs down now. but I got these new daiichi hooks and they have what looks like a micro barb. I don't even see the point to mash it down. its so small I can't see it hurting a fish or even you if you got caught in the skin.. I can even slip a beadhead over them without mashing um down. I will give um a try and if I have any problems I will mash um down. anyone ever use um?

owner of the GL Fishing Forum.
Old 02-18-2008, 08:33 AM

streamcaddis is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to streamcaddis Send a message via Yahoo to streamcaddis
Thumbs up Re: Barbless vs. mashing barbed hooks.

I tie most of my flies on micro barb hooks. I used to mash them down but could never do it right.
Old 02-18-2008, 11:49 AM

GRN will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezamora View Post
are the barbless hooks really that much more expensive than their barbed version? i picked up a 100 count box of barbless hooks a couple of years ago and they seemed the same price as the barbed version. i'm talking about standard dry flies in size 12-16 basically.

eric
fresno, ca.
Eric, I think the differential is generally only seen with barbless flies, some shops will charge a small premium.

I choose fly rods the same way I do women, motorcycles, and cowboy boots...
go with what ever feels good, and keep on hand as many as I can afford
Old 02-19-2008, 04:13 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi to all,

The Tiemco De Barb Pliers are the best I have found for debarbing hooks. Especially the small flies. The nose is smooth and works very well. They are not big enough to give the leverage to damage the hook. I guess if you really wanted to go to extrema you could do some damage but I never have. They are 4 3/4" long. The finger holes are comfortable and plastic covered. Made from Stainless Steel and a joy to use. They also have a cutter incorporated behind the flats of the nose but I have never used it. Dr Slick make a similar plier and are a few dollars cheaper.

They are expensive but are a lifetime investment. I have had mine for years. They are always with me on the water.

Frank

Tiemco De Barb Pliers
Click the image to open in full size.

Dr Slick De Barb Pliers
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 02-19-2008, 08:52 PM

atkiwhale is on a distinguished road

I would prefer barbless hooks but they are not available in all styles where I do most of my shopping. I use a pair of pliers I purchased at a dollar store to flatten the barbs on regular hooks. The jaws are smooth so they will do little damage. There are some good shops online that carry a nice selection of barbless hooks but I haven't purchased at any of them yet.
Old 02-19-2008, 09:12 PM

tbrillinger223 is on a distinguished road

I flatten my barbs with needle nosed pliers, 95% of my hooks are salt water 1/0-#4 occasionaly #6. I do tie on smaller hooks #8-#12 for bass/bream and use forceps for these.