The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2013, 09:19 AM

Location: Central PA. Surrounded by the best trout water in the entire country.
pa cope will become famous soon enoughpa cope will become famous soon enough
Default Re: 10' 4wt recomendations

The Streamflex XF2 10 footers are really nice rods for the money. I have the 3,5 wt 10 footers and the 4 wt 11 footer. The Clearwater ll is another good option. I have fished it but don't own it. It's faster than the Greys. I'm getting ready to pick up another and I'm eyeballing the Cortland Competition Nymph but in 10 1/2 ft. Haven't fished it yet though.Tight lines, Jeff.
Old 11-18-2013, 10:40 AM

vitesse304 has a spectacular aura aboutvitesse304 has a spectacular aura about

I use a Scott A4 10' 4 wt and it meets all your criteria.

It's an excellent Czech nymph rod and was surprisingly good at throwing dries and even heavy nymph rigs.

The 10' length lets you roll cast well and that extra length also helps get your dries out there farther as well.

The reel shouldn't matter much if you're going to Czech nymph more often than not, but I had to compromise on a line since I still wanted the rod to be an all around rod. I ended up with a Rio Gold 4 wt line and it does everything I need it to! No need to go nymph or euro specific.

I guess I'm more of a hybrid Czech nympher since I don't strictly follow the euro method. I tend to do more long line nymphing and I wanted the ability to change to dries or fish an indicator when appropriate and the Scott A4 has done me well!
Old 11-18-2013, 04:33 PM

double dry is on a distinguished road

TFO, BVK. Best rod for the buck out there, IMHO.
Old 11-23-2013, 08:37 AM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

Can someone who is more versed in the long nymphing rod explain the affects of rod "speed" or action on these 10' rods. I understand that like the Circa as a medium rod is fantastic dry fly rod etc etc. was reading on Sage ESN rod last night and they really tout the medium action and soft tip where most other 10' rods are med-fast. If you read Sage ESN marketing it sounds as if this medium action has some voo-doo that makes it automagic to catch fish.

Assuming face value of the marketing material

Sage ESN medium action

Allen Xa2 med-fast

TFO BVK Fast
Old 11-23-2013, 09:27 AM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Somebody like silver creek or sweetandsalt may do a better job explaining the technicalities/physics of it all than I can but...

I'd have to believe that a more moderate action/soft tip would be beneficial on a longer rod because of the techniques used during long line nymphing. You're using more of the leader and a little of the line to load it just enough, often you're dapping, so traditional casting is not quite as often used. So a little less energy is needed to load the rod. Maybe that's just me thinking small streams that I fish.

I don't use a 10' 4 but do have a 10' 7 that I use for steelies, pretty much same thing applies, though I'll shorten and lengthen the leader as well as casting, depending on how far out I need to fish.

Good luck in your search fellow gear junkie, can't wait to read about what you end up with
mcnerney and comeonavs like this.
Old 11-23-2013, 09:32 AM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybo41 View Post
Somebody like silver creek or sweetandsalt may do a better job explaining the technicalities/physics of it all than I can but...

I'd have to believe that a more moderate action/soft tip would be beneficial on a longer rod because of the techniques used during long line nymphing. You're using more of the leader and a little of the line to load it just enough, often you're dapping, so traditional casting is not quite as often used. So a little less energy is needed to load the rod. Maybe that's just me thinking small streams that I fish.

I don't use a 10' 4 but do have a 10' 7 that I use for steelies, pretty much same thing applies, though I'll shorten and lengthen the leader depending on how far out I need to fish.

Good luck in your search fellow gear junkie, can't wait to read about what you end up with
Thanks Jaybo,

Yes winter is upon us here in Colorado so this is when my rod tubes magically procreate and I find my self with more dependents that will need my time and attention.

Biggest thing that threw me off was a few reviews of the ESN talked about nymphing without a indicator. A man must know his limitations and for me I need a little something to let me know I just might have a fish on.

The ESN review and specs / marketing fluff read so much different that any other 10' rod, so I thought it was possibly used for a different application. I also read most guys were using 2 or 3 wt ESN rods and for me I was thinking 4wt. I prefer to nymph with a 4wt so I can handle double rigs and a little yarn strike indicator better. I find sometimes I have to horse a 3wt around with that set up.
Old 11-23-2013, 09:42 AM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by comeonavs View Post
Thanks Jaybo,

Yes winter is upon us here in Colorado so this is when my rod tubes magically procreate and I find my self with more dependents that will need my time and attention.

Biggest thing that threw me off was a few reviews of the ESN talked about nymphing without a indicator. A man must know his limitations and for me I need a little something to let me know I just might have a fish on.

The ESN review and specs / marketing fluff read so much different that any other 10' rod, so I thought it was possibly used for a different application. I also read most guys were using 2 or 3 wt ESN rods and for me I was thinking 4wt. I prefer to nymph with a 4wt so I can handle double rigs and a little yarn strike indicator better. I find sometimes I have to horse a 3wt around with that set up.
Yeah I know what you mean. Gear seems to multiply over the winter. Tying flies is fun, but sometimes you just need to get your hands on new tackle!

I've used indictors for a long time myself and am trying to wean myself off of them in certain applications and when I can. Swinging streamers is one application, but that's not what we're really talking about here. I learned with an indicator and always feel as though it's a crutch and I probably lean on it a little too much. I've been using strike putty to help detect the strike and I do like that. Also if you're bottom bouncing, you'll feel every tick of your shot/fly on the bottom and more importantly, the take. That's where I think that softer tip and more moderate action come in handy. I wouldn't rule out a 3wt, I'd think that would be ideal for nymphing because as you know with your 3wt rods, they're pretty sensitive and that could help wean you off of the indicators. I forget which rods you have, but for some reason seem to think you own a 390 One? Overlap might cause me to think about one rod over the other. I guess it comes down to which line weights do you find yourself fishing most often. This coming from a guy that has 6 4wts LOL.

If you need to cover lots of distance and mend at long distances then that might not be the right rod.
Old 11-23-2013, 10:01 AM

Exactly I do have overlap

I do have the 390 ONE but I find I use it for bigger water using a dry dropper set up. The genesis of this brainfart of "needing" a 10' 4wt is this year I started doing a lot of nymphing with my 9' 4Wt legend ultra which I really like it as a medium fast rod for my typical nypmh set up

Small yarn indicator ala Pat Dorsey style. Size 16-18 beadhead nymph as point with a size 20-22 tied off it. The 4wt seems to let me move that set up around in a dap or roll casting type of environment easily. There are just many time I wish the 9' rod was 10' for reaching across seems and currents.

The biggest overlap in my quiver is

490-4 Zaxis and 390-4 ONE. I find I use those rods interchangeably a lot.

My 389-4 Circa relegated my 376-4 ZXL to spare duty

I do have 4 3wts and 3 4wts
jaybo41 likes this.
Old 11-24-2013, 04:14 AM

chased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to behold

Sage ESN, Cabelas CZN come to mind.
Old 11-24-2013, 06:52 AM

wannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by phatoscar View Post
Hello everyone. I'm looking for a 10' 4wt rod to add to my collection. I want to use mostly for fishing from my pontoon boat but I also want to use it as a European style nymph rod. I need to be able to use it for nymphs but be able to throw dry flies in a pinch. I've been looking at the hardy zenith but would love to hear what you guys think. Recommendations for reel and line would be appreciated as well.
Thanks for the help,
Neil
I don't have one but if the Hardy Zenith is in your price range that's the one I'd go with! The reel is mostly personal preference but I'd go with a Hardy or similar (Red Truck?) clicker or if you like smooth quiet disc drag reels, a Hardy Ultralite DD.