The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2013, 11:36 AM

buddhist_palm is a jewel in the roughbuddhist_palm is a jewel in the roughbuddhist_palm is a jewel in the roughbuddhist_palm is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: New to the sport..First rod?

5 wt vs 8 wt the fundamentals and physics are all the same

the weight of the rod and reel are just a bit more

ill let someone else voice opinions on reel qualities
Old 11-19-2013, 11:42 AM

shotgunlew is on a distinguished road

They are both combos....I have a coupon for Cabela's so it would be 156 shipped vs 129 for the orvis.....I also was looking at Redington Fly Rod Reel Combo | eBay
Old 11-19-2013, 11:57 AM

calftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgunlew View Post
So now I'm torn...Do I get a 5 wt for my first or a 8 wt...... I only want to get one rod to start as I am new to the sport....( I have latterly done it once as a child for a half an hour ) but I have dreamt about doing it for ages now. Finally at a point that I can afford a new hobby ( Guitar building and muskie fishing kill me )

---------- Post added at 10:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:49 AM ----------

How does this set up compare to the RLS from Cabela's?
Flip a coin . I have both Orvis and Cabela's gear and have been satisfied with both. The Orvis was always priced on the high side but in this case the outfit is $30 cheaper. Both of them have a reputation to uphold and they really don't sell junk.

In the past we had an Orvis store locally and recently the area has added two Cabela's, but the Orvis store has had a no-questions asked return policy. Don't know about Cabela's.

btw...you missed out on the Orvis 5 wt. They were available yesterday and now must have sold out. Too bad...I was also going to recommend the 5 wt since both outfits would have been $260 bucks.
Old 11-19-2013, 12:03 PM

The Orvis is made for saltwater...does that mean it will hold up better?

---------- Post added at 12:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:00 PM ----------

Also this just popped up...Redington Pursuit Fly Outfit : Cabela's
Old 11-19-2013, 12:10 PM

fq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of light

Misplaced post.
Old 11-19-2013, 12:16 PM

calftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
The Orvis is made for saltwater...does that mean it will hold up better?

---------- Post added at 12:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:00 PM ----------

Also this just popped up...Redington Pursuit Fly Outfit : Cabela's
Not necessarily a salt water outfit.

Watch and carefully listen to the video ......Chromeless Video Player

My choice would be the Orvis but that's my opinion.

Read the reviews also.
Old 11-19-2013, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calftail View Post
Not necessarily a salt water outfit.

Watch and carefully listen to the video ......Chromeless Video Player

My choice would be the Orvis but that's my opinion.

Read the reviews also.
Any reason for weighing towards the Orvis? I really wish I could afford American made.....I know the Cabela's is Chinese....
Old 11-19-2013, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Any reason for weighing towards the Orvis? I really wish I could afford American made.....I know the Cabela's is Chinese....
Orvis doesn't sell junk. If you keep the rod for a while and decide to sell it the Orvis brand name will sell it for you.
Old 11-19-2013, 12:32 PM

buddhist_palm is a jewel in the roughbuddhist_palm is a jewel in the roughbuddhist_palm is a jewel in the roughbuddhist_palm is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
there is no better opinion other then your own after you have held both rods in your hand and taken a few imaginary casts with them, turn the handle on the reel, ect
Old 11-19-2013, 05:29 PM

bloomagoo will become famous soon enoughbloomagoo will become famous soon enough

Orvis has discontinued the Streamline series and replaced it with the Encounter Series. I suspect it is more of a branding change than anything else, that's why the Streamlines are discounted. Can't go wrong with the Orvis or the Redington. Both are fine starter outfits that should serve you well.

I agree on starting with the 8 wt. You can very easily use the 8 wt for salmon, smallmouth, largemouth, pike, pickerel, carp and other freshwater sport fishes.