The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree31Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2013, 07:16 PM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of
Default Re: "Fly fishing" split shot really sucks

I don't even use split shot, gave up on that stuff many, many years ago. Prefer to incorporate weight into my flies, and like the tungsten beads & cones if I need to get them down really quick. Otherwise, I'll use a fast sinking line.

Hey, Turbineblade, I have a mold for 20 oz bank sinkers if you need something heavier! I'm sure I could fix you up with a few!
mcnerney and mrfzx like this.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 11-20-2013, 08:09 PM

turbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjim5589 View Post
I don't even use split shot, gave up on that stuff many, many years ago. Prefer to incorporate weight into my flies, and like the tungsten beads & cones if I need to get them down really quick. Otherwise, I'll use a fast sinking line.

Hey, Turbineblade, I have a mold for 20 oz bank sinkers if you need something heavier! I'm sure I could fix you up with a few!
Sure -- that'll cast on my 5-weight right?
Old 11-20-2013, 08:24 PM

al_a has a spectacular aura aboutal_a has a spectacular aura aboutal_a has a spectacular aura about

I'd rather use split shot than weight the flies themselves, because I think an unweighted fly drifting along is more natural. The real bugs aren't made out of lead. I want my nymphs to be drifting with the vagaries of the current, just above the bottom at least part of the time instead of dragging along the bottom.

In the water I normally like to nymph on rivers like the Yellowstone, two BB split shot is about right for weighting the nymph rig for me. I occasionally add another one in really fast water dropping suddenly off into deeper current.
Old 11-20-2013, 09:01 PM

cab has a spectacular aura aboutcab has a spectacular aura aboutcab has a spectacular aura about

In these Colorado stereams, a#4 or #6 or two gets the job done fine. Any more and you're hanging up (and losing your fly) on the bottom. I like my nymphs to bounce along the rocks. Seems to work OK.

CAB
Old 11-20-2013, 10:04 PM

flytie09 will become famous soon enough

It's a situational thing. I started out using gremlins all the time while nymphing with a foam float. Experience through out the past couple of years, research and some kind fellow one day showing me the ropes, i learned you have to fish the conditions thrown at you.

Gr8 lake steelhead, I use the gremlins. During high water conditions I'm using sinking polyleaders, and bead heads with extra lead weighted flies.

You fishing big water, you better use weight to get it down. Wacky taffy tungsten putty wont cut it. You'll be broke after the first hours worth of snags.

You fish spring runoff, you better have weight on there. You wanna spend a mint in English shot,have at it. Gremlins are cheap and you can take on/off.

You fish summer low flows or frog water, you better go wacky taffy tung weight the size of a bugger or smaller.

To be good at fishing, you better have an open mind, try different techniques, and have a variety of goodies in your magic vest.

Oh yeah, if you see a silver back wacking fish all day, ask to see his rig. Never hurts to steal ideas for ones own quiver. Just smile and offer a thank you.
Old 11-20-2013, 10:11 PM

bigtone1411 will become famous soon enough

I still use the removable Gremlins. Love them. And they make them in non lead now also.
Old 11-21-2013, 12:10 AM

mtbusman will become famous soon enough

I fish both weighed and unweighed nymphs. I usually use split shot, but vary the size for conditions. I can get the flies down with the shot sold in fly shops, but I have getting it to stay on the leader. That's my problem with it. Now, I betcha water gremlin probably stays on the line better, too.
Old 11-21-2013, 01:01 PM

diamond rush is a glorious beacon of lightdiamond rush is a glorious beacon of lightdiamond rush is a glorious beacon of lightdiamond rush is a glorious beacon of lightdiamond rush is a glorious beacon of light

I use a heavily weighted lead-body scud as a split-shot and tie the fly I want to fish as a dropper off the back. Sometimes I catch 'em on the scud.

---------- Post added at 02:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:57 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepster ii View Post
Try an extended drift to get your fly down and let it swing across before you strip it back in.
Counterpoint:
Click the image to open in full size.

This pool is 15 feet long, 5 feet deep, and the brookies hang out under a submerged boulder the size of a VW bug on the left side of the pool. Sometimes you gotta get down fast.
turbineblade likes this.