The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree31Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2013, 06:06 AM

turbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really nice
Default "Fly fishing" split shot really sucks

Well, this is pretty self-explanatory. Anyone else use normal split shot like I do? I'm talking about the gremlin stuff that is actually large enough to sink your rig quickly (and not just 1/2 through your drift -- which is worthless).

Usually when I'm nymphing I want to get not only deep eventually, but deep as quickly as possible. Usually more weight is required than can really be mustered with those little tiny shot from fly shops. I hate that stuff . You know, the rotary container stuff.

Who came up with that stuff anyway? Some of those sizes are so small that they're completely worthless. I don't think you could sink a #24 brassie with it.
akruss and mridenour like this.
Old 11-20-2013, 06:38 AM

random user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: "Fly fishing" split shot really sucks

You can get these in some pretty hefty sizes that wil sink a Wullf Royal quickly.
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 11-20-2013, 06:50 AM

turbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by random user View Post
You can get these in some pretty hefty sizes that wil sink a Wullf Royal quickly.
Click the image to open in full size.
Yeah, but not an Elk Hair Caddis!

---------- Post added at 07:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:46 AM ----------

Maybe the negative perception of using split shot has led to companies making half-assed stuff that makes people "feel better" about using it, but ironically doesn't actually do anything.
mcnerney and mridenour like this.
Old 11-20-2013, 06:50 AM

fq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbineblade View Post
Well, this is pretty self-explanatory. Anyone else use normal split shot like I do? I'm talking about the gremlin stuff that is actually large enough to sink your rig quickly (and not just 1/2 through your drift -- which is worthless).

Usually when I'm nymphing I want to get not only deep eventually, but deep as quickly as possible. Usually more weight is required than can really be mustered with those little tiny shot from fly shops. I hate that stuff . You know, the rotary container stuff.

Who came up with that stuff anyway? Some of those sizes are so small that they're completely worthless. I don't think you could sink a #24 brassie with it.
And that's with lead. You go somewhere like Jellystone where they get prissy and make you use bismuth and its worse, plus pricier.
Another good reason to tie your own. You take a wrap of lead behind the bead. Shhh! Don't tell Ranger Smith.
turbineblade likes this.
Old 11-20-2013, 07:44 AM

mridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud of

I used those and have been known to put a pretty big one on. I hate them but I just have to get the fly deep sometimes. I feel like I am skipping a lot of good water if I don't.
Old 11-20-2013, 08:10 AM

jeepster II is a glorious beacon of lightjeepster II is a glorious beacon of lightjeepster II is a glorious beacon of lightjeepster II is a glorious beacon of lightjeepster II is a glorious beacon of lightjeepster II is a glorious beacon of light

Try an extended drift to get your fly down and let it swing across before you strip it back in.
Old 11-20-2013, 08:43 AM

planettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud of

I use twistons, where legal and tungsten putty where it is not...

PT/TB
mcnerney and fredaevans like this.

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/
Old 11-20-2013, 03:52 PM

lunkerlog is on a distinguished road

I can think of several spots in CO, mostly tailwaters, where fish are split shot shy even to the tiny ones. Sometimes your only hope at those spots is to use a lead beadhead fly, fluorocarbon leaders, and cast a mile upstream of the fish you're going for.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 11-20-2013, 06:24 PM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

You'd be surprised how much faster a size #24 brassie... Or even a thread Midge would get down than say a size #14 beadhead hare's ear... Or even a chunk of weight... Those tiny flies have very little surface area therefore they have little resistance and drop quickly... Long leaders and 6x fluoro tippet will assist in getting you down fast
mcnerney and turbineblade like this.
Old 11-20-2013, 07:00 PM

Location: Central PA. Surrounded by the best trout water in the entire country.
pa cope will become famous soon enoughpa cope will become famous soon enough

I too hate using shot if I don't have to. I use tungsten putty more and more these days. That and a good tuck cast. Tight lines, Jeff.