The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2013, 07:55 AM

gr8outdoorz has a spectacular aura aboutgr8outdoorz has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Wading Jacket ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknick222 View Post
Any of the Simms will do the job for you, I love my simms paclite and my G3 was great until I traded it in for an Arcteryx. It all comes down to whether you want a shorter length jacket or longer and how many pockets/retractors you want, the main companies will all be good. Personally, Ive had bad luck with Patagonia rainwear. I love their fleece but the two jackets Ive owned have leaked and simply not fit well.

If you arent set on a strictly "fishing" jacket check out the Arcteryx Beta AR. Its probably the best cut gore-tex jacket out on the market and still has plenty of pockets for gear, but it does get a bit expensive.
+1 for Arcteryx. I have the Gamma MX and it comfortably handles everything I throw at it.
Old 11-22-2013, 08:39 AM

dakotakid has a spectacular aura aboutdakotakid has a spectacular aura aboutdakotakid has a spectacular aura about

Anyone try the Simms Headwaters wading jacket? Seems to be almost as nice as the G3 for half the price.
Old 11-22-2013, 08:52 AM

gfirob is a jewel in the roughgfirob is a jewel in the roughgfirob is a jewel in the roughgfirob is a jewel in the rough

I'm in the market for a jacket too, but I have sticker shock at the $400-$500 jackets. Or, to be more precise, I am cheap. Anybody have experience with the Redington Jackets like the Bow River, Stratus III Jacket, or Sonic Pro? LL Bean's Emerger II or Packlight? What about the British jackets? Is length a consideration for wading depth or warmth? I have Barbour waxed cotton coat with big pockets that would probably work well, though it is fairly long. On the other hand I rarely wade in water above my balls (which I consider my danger zone). I imagine that ease of motion while wearing the jacket would be very important, making an ordinary packable goretex rain jacket inappropriate.

Is there a way to priorities features -- breathability, weight of construction, number of pockets and so on? Is their primary function to be a windbreaker or to allow fishing in the driving rain? I have heavy foul-weather gear, to work in the driving rain, but I have a hard time imagining fishing in that kind of weather. And its a little like wearing armor.
This is a very helpful thread, thanks.
Old 11-22-2013, 08:59 AM

mridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfirob View Post
I'm in the market for a jacket too, but I have sticker shock at the $400-$500 jackets. Or, to be more precise, I am cheap. Anybody have experience with the Redington Jackets like the Bow River, Stratus III Jacket, or Sonic Pro? LL Bean's Emerger II or Packlight? What about the British jackets? Is length a consideration for wading depth or warmth? I have Barbour waxed cotton coat with big pockets that would probably work well, though it is fairly long. On the other hand I rarely wade in water above my balls (which I consider my danger zone). I imagine that ease of motion while wearing the jacket would be very important, making an ordinary packable goretex rain jacket inappropriate.

Is there a way to priorities features -- breathability, weight of construction, number of pockets and so on? Is their primary function to be a windbreaker or to allow fishing in the driving rain? I have heavy foul-weather gear, to work in the driving rain, but I have a hard time imagining fishing in that kind of weather. And its a little like wearing armor.
This is a very helpful thread, thanks.
I'm hoping to get the Bean Emerger II for Christmas. I just can't afford to spend the big bucks at this time and the Emerger has gotten good reviews from the people on this forum that have it. Lifetime guarantee on it as well. I know it will be better than what I used last year...lol!

I fished in driving rain only a couple of times this year. Once when the weather was warm and once when it was very cold. I wasn't planning on the rain and wind picking up the way it did but I kept fishing. I'm dumb like that!
Old 11-22-2013, 09:21 AM

miamimikepa will become famous soon enoughmiamimikepa will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakotakid View Post
Anyone try the Simms Headwaters wading jacket? Seems to be almost as nice as the G3 for half the price.
The Headwaters is 2 steps below the G3. From highest to lowest Simms goes G4, G3, Guide, Headwaters. The Headwaters is very similar to the Guide, but it is a slightly different Gore-Tex and it doesn't have the retractors...that is the only difference. The G4, G3, & Guide all are made of the 3 layer Gore-Tex, while the Headwaters is the 2 layer.

For guys on a budget don't dismiss the Paclite either. I went to my shop with the intent on buying the Paclite because it's been discontinued and can be had for about $150-$185 right now.

I ended up going with the Guide jacket because I wanted top performance at the best value possible. For me the G4 & G3 had features I didn't want to spend money on.
Old 11-22-2013, 09:34 AM

eastfly66 will become famous soon enougheastfly66 will become famous soon enough

Believe me ! I don't want to shell out 400 bucks either but when I go fishing (sometimes I have to travel 2-7 hrs) I am going rain snow or whatever. I have done the $150 deals and keep saying "someday I will get a nice one".
At this age , someday is Today. I just want my $$ worth. The mark up on this stuff is 2-3 X. I will post any good deals I find.
Thanks
Old 11-22-2013, 10:35 AM

timd will become famous soon enough

I had "Good" jackets for years but when I started fishing in Montana in early spring and late fall the good wasn't good enough. The guys who know what really works are the Alaska guys. The few days you are fishing when it's raining the temps in the high 20s or low 30s and the wind is 25 out of the north will separate the "good" from the "great". Those days make you glad you spent the extra $100.00.
Old 11-22-2013, 11:05 AM

Location: South Florida & the White Mountains of New Hampshire
MAD777 will become famous soon enough
Default Wading Jacket ?

I recently bought Cabela's GORE-TEX® Guidewear® River Runner Jacket.
It hasn't withstood the test of time since it is new, but reviews are good. Spec wise, it matches Simms and other's top of the line wading jackets from the same Goretex fabric to welded seams to pockets in all the tight places. And the best part is that it's on sale, which puts it at half the price of the name brands.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-22-2013, 11:18 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I wear a Blauer cop's jacket. It was a factory second as the epaulet buttons were missing.
An easy fix and well worth the 2 bucks that I paid for it.

Click the image to open in full size.
mridenour likes this.
Old 11-22-2013, 11:31 AM

stanbiker has a spectacular aura aboutstanbiker has a spectacular aura about

I have the beans pac light jacket. I like it a lot, but it is lightweight. I don't get cold easy though. My son did split the seam under the arm on his. (He is 16, so it might not be the jackets fault)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk