The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2013, 08:12 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wading Jacket ?

I have a few of them.

Bean Paclite is a lot of jacket for the coin. It's obviously very light and packs down well for warmer weather fishing when a jacket is needed. You could go this route and layer appropriately underneath and I'm sure be just fine.

I have a Patagonia SST that is several years old, not the current model. On a recent trip it failed. During a downpour, water just bled through and it wouldn't dry off. I am meticulous with how I care for my gear and have washed it, treated it appropriately and confirmed this with Patagonia's CS. I'm due to send it back to see what they can do. It's a great Spring/Fall jacket. It does not breathe as well as Gore Tex. I'm usually pretty warm so I want/need breathability. I love the jacket though, it's minimalist approach is well designed. No fleece lined hand warmers on my version and although a great waterproof zipper on the back, you've got to take the jacket off to get the back zipper open.

When the weather gets cool enough, I use a G4. Hands down a killer jacket, but it's heavier than I'd like. That's where the pit zips come in. Pit Zips are a must and I wish more companies offered them in fishing jackets. Extra ventilation is nice to have. As well designed of a jacket as I have found. For the asking price, it should be. I took advantage of a 20% off coupon and bought one.
eastfly66 likes this.
Old 11-22-2013, 08:42 PM

eastfly66 is just really niceeastfly66 is just really niceeastfly66 is just really niceeastfly66 is just really niceeastfly66 is just really nice

Orvis has a 20% off for 3 days (just got the email) with free shipping

The encounter packable is $98 minus the 20%

I have one , its a good summer/spring jacket
Old 11-22-2013, 09:08 PM

russellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to all

I'm on my third SST, the other two wore out etc. This version is a few years old but in new condition. I'm in the process of moving to Seattle so I expect it will see some serious action, I'll report back.
Old 11-23-2013, 12:21 AM

mudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to behold

I bought a Redington Stratus III from STP awhile ago for dirt cheap compared to some of these others and I love it.
eastfly66 likes this.
Old 11-23-2013, 07:45 AM

eastfly66 is just really niceeastfly66 is just really niceeastfly66 is just really niceeastfly66 is just really niceeastfly66 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudbug View Post
I bought a Redington Stratus III from STP awhile ago for dirt cheap compared to some of these others and I love it.

Direct hit !!! That looks like what I am looking for . I like Reddington, I bought one of their rods as a back up when they first came on the stage and was blown away by the quality/price. The "packables" are great for summer but not what I am looking for right now. I like this one, just enough storage w/o pockets to snag my line and the price is right. I have all the right layering clothes from my hunting gear to make a good system. The G3/G4
will have to wait , at the $$ I am not sold , Gore-Tex is a great product but has a shelf life too. I work construction and have a couple Sorel jackets that if I take one to my local tailor and have her sew a D-ring on the back will make it a $300 Gore-Tex wading jacket that cost me $80 plus sewing. This Reddington just seems just right, at the price it is worth having more than 1 jacket for a trip. I like the comment on the pit vents, maybe my tailor can do a little customizing, she is real good and reasonable. On a side note, I bought one of the Filson cover cloth jackets for $159. It is like buying a piece of FF history! It probably will not make it as my #1 jacket but it will fit the bill for other uses.
Old 11-23-2013, 12:35 PM

mudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastfly66 View Post
Direct hit !!! That looks like what I am looking for . I like Reddington, I bought one of their rods as a back up when they first came on the stage and was blown away by the quality/price. The "packables" are great for summer but not what I am looking for right now. I like this one, just enough storage w/o pockets to snag my line and the price is right. I have all the right layering clothes from my hunting gear to make a good system. The G3/G4
will have to wait , at the $$ I am not sold , Gore-Tex is a great product but has a shelf life too. I work construction and have a couple Sorel jackets that if I take one to my local tailor and have her sew a D-ring on the back will make it a $300 Gore-Tex wading jacket that cost me $80 plus sewing. This Reddington just seems just right, at the price it is worth having more than 1 jacket for a trip. I like the comment on the pit vents, maybe my tailor can do a little customizing, she is real good and reasonable. On a side note, I bought one of the Filson cover cloth jackets for $159. It is like buying a piece of FF history! It probably will not make it as my #1 jacket but it will fit the bill for other uses.

Are you signed up at STP for their deal flyers? They send new coupons out daily that really knock the price down even more.

For example with the coupon I have right now the jacket is only $62.

Old 11-23-2013, 03:32 PM

I will be in about 2 minutes !!!

Thanks !
Old 11-23-2013, 06:53 PM

vanceinak is on a distinguished road

Eastfly, the Reddington looks like a nice jacket for the money.
Wanted to say I wore my FT Hellbender while working outside this afternoon to see how it did in the cold. Temp mid 20s, wind mid teens.
I had a cotton t-shirt & a flannel shirt under the jacket, & it cut the wind completely & I was plenty warm.

Matthew 6:33
"But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."
Old 11-23-2013, 07:37 PM

jfaisten is on a distinguished road

Just bought a Cabela's decoy jacket -- same style as a wading jacket -- gore tex with a zip in substantial liner. I can use it for very cold days and when it warms up, take out the liner. lots of pockets and it's on sale. Plus it's camo so nobody can see me. I've used it a couple times -- very comfortable. Can't comment on serviceability in a down pour -- yet.