The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2013, 09:57 PM

eastfly66 is a jewel in the rougheastfly66 is a jewel in the rougheastfly66 is a jewel in the rough
Default Wading Jacket ?

Hi All,

I am in the market for a good wading jacket. I want it to be dry and wind proof. It looks like I am going to spend some $$ so I would like some input. I looked at the Simms buckley and was not all that impressed. There is a new Filson out but I have not seen it. The old wax cloth Filson is still alive and strong so I am not crossing that out as an option. This is for fall winter fishing. Summer I don't care if it rains, my cheap packable is fine. This is for winter/fall steelhead fishing in NY. I done the $100 jobs and they don't last or cut the grade. If I am going to lay out that kind of $$$ 400 +/- I expect a lot !!!!!!

Thanks
Old 11-21-2013, 10:08 PM

timd will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Wading Jacket ?

I have got 2 years on my Simms G3 Guide jacket and it is the best one I've owned. Previously had 2 SST Patagonias and they were good also. Make sure of all the little details like fleece lined pockets and a large cargo pocket in back that loads from the side so you can get your lunch without taking the jacket off etc.
Old 11-21-2013, 10:15 PM

eastfly66 is a jewel in the rougheastfly66 is a jewel in the rougheastfly66 is a jewel in the rough

The G3 I didn't get a chance to see , gotta put that one on the list !
Old 11-21-2013, 10:29 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

I have the Orvis Pro-Guide and am very happy with it. It keeps the wind and rain out and is very comfortable. I bought it a size big and have since dropped a size and still find it is very wearable with a fleece under it or just a fishing shirt. The pockets are huge and I can skip the pack and just load the pockets with boxes, tippet, weight etc, though they do get pretty full. If I was to do it again I'd check out the Clearwater as well. I'd also look at the LL Bean jackets.
Hardyreels and mcnerney like this.
Old 11-21-2013, 11:18 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Good feedback so far!

I have a Filson for light rain / cold weather and a Simms G3 for when the poop hits the fan here. It can be bad, worse than I could have thought. The Simms is 2 years and is very good.
mcnerney likes this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 11-21-2013, 11:56 PM

miamimikepa will become famous soon enoughmiamimikepa will become famous soon enough

I use a Simms Guide jacket. Basically same as the G3 & G4, but a little cheaper without some of the outside bells and whistles. Has 2 big cargo pockets and 2 pull cords, which is all I really need. Plus I got mine for $240 so I didn't think that was too bad.
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 11-22-2013, 12:09 AM

nicknick222 has a spectacular aura aboutnicknick222 has a spectacular aura about

Any of the Simms will do the job for you, I love my simms paclite and my G3 was great until I traded it in for an Arcteryx. It all comes down to whether you want a shorter length jacket or longer and how many pockets/retractors you want, the main companies will all be good. Personally, Ive had bad luck with Patagonia rainwear. I love their fleece but the two jackets Ive owned have leaked and simply not fit well.

If you arent set on a strictly "fishing" jacket check out the Arcteryx Beta AR. Its probably the best cut gore-tex jacket out on the market and still has plenty of pockets for gear, but it does get a bit expensive.
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 11-22-2013, 04:48 AM

troutn has a spectacular aura abouttroutn has a spectacular aura about

I also have the Simms G3 and am completely happy with it. It keeps me dry and has never leaked. It is also great in keeping the wind at bay.
Hardyreels and mcnerney like this.
Old 11-22-2013, 06:30 AM

I am keeping score and taking notes. The G3-4,& guide jacket are at the top of the list . I have G3 waders and love them. The new Buckley struck me as a expensive lined "wind breaker" w/o many features to FF. Filson has a new jacket that is not waxed at $410.00 (ouch!) , again have not seen it or know anyone that has one (It is also imported). Patagonia is off the list, they contribute to anti hunting groups and that does not work for me. Nothing personal Patigonia , it is only business. My buddy has a jacket from Australia, "Fly Fishing Adventures" I think? Not much of a company name but the jacket look well thought out but a bit overdone with cargo pockets ect.
Another $400 job that looked good but has not had the test of time that I know of ? I will have to check out Bean, they have outlet stores around here in the N.E. Whats the opinion on the old school waxed cloth jackets ? The technology might be outdated but still keeps going ! Hey, ya know what ?
That is what they said about me on the job site last week !
Old 11-22-2013, 06:37 AM

miamimikepa will become famous soon enoughmiamimikepa will become famous soon enough

There are 2 huge advantage Gore-Tex has over the "old school" waxed jackets...weight & breathability. IMO 2 very important things to consider. Simms technology seems to be a bit ahead of a lot of the other companies, again IMO. Arcteryx are amazing...but I don't feel ideal for this application, mainly because it's not a wading jacket. There is a reason most people who are spending big money on fly fishing apparel tend to go toward Simms. You can't make a bad choice with the G4, G3, or Guide jacket. It really comes down to what you want to pay and what features you want.

*If you are buying online I do recommend going a size up with Simms. I wear Medium in everything they make, but my guide jacket is a Large. It is a shell and not a very heavy one at that so you are going to want to layer under it as well as have your waders under it.
mcnerney and troutn like this.