The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2013, 06:40 PM

waterfordcreek has a spectacular aura aboutwaterfordcreek has a spectacular aura about
Default Floatants.....

I have always been a fan of Loon in the past.

Specifically, Aquel and Topride.

Anyone using something they like better?

I have made my own in the past using various materials. It just seems so much easier to buy the product....especially when i works so well at a minimum cost. Plus, i would rather support the fly shop.

Also looking for a review on Loon's Fly Pritz2.

Jim
Old 11-22-2013, 07:00 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Floatants.....

Tiemco Dry Magic. Best stuff I've found although pricy. A little goes a long way, great container and works on hair, hackle and CDC.
waterfordcreek likes this.
Old 11-22-2013, 07:10 PM

billyspey has a spectacular aura aboutbillyspey has a spectacular aura about

Umpqua dry magic and frog Fannie for all my drys I fish most cdc compara duns but use on my cdc deer drys noting floats better, lots of frog fanny must crush that brush make it really stand out it must look deformed . When you get the brush right never replace one
waterfordcreek likes this.
Old 11-22-2013, 08:33 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

There was a floatant called Hydrophobe from France that you could buy at Blue Ribbon Flies in West Yellowstone. It was great stuff but is no longer made.

I agree with Bob, who wrote, "The only floatant that I've found acceptable has been a product called Hydrophobe which is made in France and difficult to find in any fly shops."

International Fly Fisher

Click the image to open in full size.

Now I use Dry Magic in it's place.
jaybo41 and waterfordcreek like this.

Silver

http://tinyurl.com/kkctayx

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 11-22-2013, 09:28 PM

planettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud of

...2nd. that...

Shimakazi Dry Shake, Tiemco Dry Magic and I hearing good reports on this stuff out of Europe...

PT/TB
jaybo41 and waterfordcreek like this.

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/
Old 11-23-2013, 05:15 AM

pszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to behold

I fish dries probably for about 95% of my fishing, so I've tried and used a bunch of different floatants. Most work ok, but not great. The best thing I've come up with is to use a plain old rubber band. I still use a floatant, but as soon as the fly starts looking a bit waterlogged, I use the rubber band trick. It restores the fly to close to new.

It's simple and quick, doesn't require you to retie. It takes longer to explain than to actually do, here's a thirty second video if you are interested -

Tenkara Fly Fishing: Rubber Band Fly Restore
jaybo41, waterfordcreek and siege like this.

Tenkara Fly Fishing

Tenkara Fly Fishing Forum

Tenkara Fly Fishing Blog

"People tend to get the politicians and the fishing tackle they deserve" - John Gierach, Fishing Bamboo
Old 11-23-2013, 06:36 AM

nickj is a jewel in the roughnickj is a jewel in the roughnickj is a jewel in the roughnickj is a jewel in the rough

Shimazaki works best for me.
Old 11-23-2013, 11:52 AM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by planettrout View Post
...2nd. that...

I have spare tubes also.

They were $8 a tube a BRF when I bought them. Here's how I found it.

When I was looking for Hydrophobe, I went to another fly shop in West Yellowstone and asked if they carried it. The sales clerk (female) pulled me aside and told me that Hydrophobe was her favorite floatant but her shop didn't carry it so she bought it at BRF.

Silver

http://tinyurl.com/kkctayx

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 11-23-2013, 12:20 PM

siege is a splendid one to beholdsiege is a splendid one to beholdsiege is a splendid one to beholdsiege is a splendid one to beholdsiege is a splendid one to beholdsiege is a splendid one to beholdsiege is a splendid one to behold

I use Loon products. They work well, I get to buy a locally made product, and their corporate philosophy is good. Most important, of course, is how well they work. Then again, I still carry a tube of ChapStick too !
On the other end of the spectrum is Loon's " Snake River Mud ". This fly sink paste can be applied to leaders too.
The rubber band trick looks great. I'll have to try twanging some drys. Thanks for the tip, Pszy22 !
Old 11-23-2013, 01:55 PM

throssing is on a distinguished road

I use Gink on most of my flies, but use Fly Magic on cdc flies.