The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2013, 08:38 PM

Location: Central PA. Surrounded by the best trout water in the entire country.
pa cope will become famous soon enoughpa cope will become famous soon enough
Default What's your favorite camera?

What's your favorite camera for catching your fly fishing adventures? I used my "smart phone" up until this spring, when I broke down and bought an Olympus TG-1. Money well spent, IMO. Images are great, easy to use, and tough as nails...SO FAR!!! Tight lines, Jeff.
Old 11-22-2013, 09:22 PM

gzarboni is just really nicegzarboni is just really nicegzarboni is just really nicegzarboni is just really nice
Default Re: What's your favorite camera?

I use my smart phone. I also have a Nikon something or other. I am not to technical when it comes to camera's. My wife does most of the photo taking.
Glen

"There are no traffic jams along the extra mile"

http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/fo...logs/gzarboni/
Old 11-22-2013, 09:23 PM

two_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of light

I am looking at purchasing a goPro hero 2. Would be nice to be able to get video and stills.
Old 11-22-2013, 10:38 PM

runningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of light

I've been using Sony DSC TX-5 since 2010 other than my Nikon D7000.
The Sony is 10ft waterproof, freezeproof, 5ft drop proof, dust proof, panoramic picture capability and will take a great underwater video with great sound too.
I am not crazy enough to bring the Nikon plus lenses with me fishing.

I was also earlier looking to buy Sony Action Camera AS15, but the Switch rod got in the way . GoPro is very popular, but I think Sony with the Exmor sensor and carl zeiss lens are better than any action cameras. They just don't do the marketing and sponsorship as heavy as GoPro does.
Old 11-22-2013, 11:43 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Well.......... My favorite is an old Minolta SRT-100; all manual film SLR but then it's hard to find Kodachrome 25 or 64 these days so it is basically a conversation piece.

I must admit I do like the instant gratification that todays digital cameras offer to their users. When I made the leap of faith to a digital I bought a Kodak 4600 and was astonished at what that camera could do. Then I believe it was 2008 I bought a Nikon D-80 and had to knuckle down with it because digital SLR was a whole lot different than my old SRT. Now I would have to say that for quality of image overall the Nikon is the best and thus favorite I guess.

I had a little Cannon Powershot no bigger than a cigarette pack which even had an optical view finder, had until I dropped it in the river this past June................ I replaced that with a Panasonic LUMIX waterproof camera for obvious reasons

The Panasonic is handy and pretty resilient and that is important but it is week when you zoom on distant objects. It has great wide angle rendition but the zoom , well the zoom pictures, how do you say, suck. So handy verses good is the choice and on the river I carry handy, in the boat stored in a dry bag I carry good. I really wish that the point an shoot cameras had optical viewfinders on them still. I don't like trying to work through the LCD displays on the backs of these new ones.

Running fish,

I just went to the Nikon site and checked out the 7000, I need to upgrade. The high ISO low noise part won me over. When I have a chance at the aurora, nois matters.

Since I have this I'll past a copy to show what I mean.
Click the image to open in full size.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 11-23-2013, 04:19 AM

mysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to behold

My favorite is a Canon A-1 Pro, film camera which was passed down by my father. He taught me all I know about photography, including developing prints from the film. Have a bunch of prime lenses to go with the A-1 body. Still shoot it once in a while to challenge myself. With a roll of film you only get 36 exposures to get the perfect balance of Time, Aperture and ISO , unlike the digital media where I can shoot 100's of shots.

Second favorite is the Canon 7D, this is my primary camera these days when I fish with a second person (buddy or wife). If I am fishing alone then I use a shockproof, waterproof Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS3….has a nice Leica lens.

Absolute last choice is my iPhone5 in a waterproof case.
Old 11-23-2013, 06:45 AM

baseman1 is just really nicebaseman1 is just really nicebaseman1 is just really nicebaseman1 is just really nice

I like my gopro 2 it does everything I need and then some. I have used it for search and rescue training films too.

“Be patient and calm – for no one can catch fish in anger.” – Herbert Hoover
Old 11-23-2013, 07:09 AM

cochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud of

Video I use a Sony HVR-Z5U. Awesome in no uncertain terms.

Still's and action pics I use a Nikon D5100, great price point excellent all round features. Still very portable.

Still shots -and- in, on and around water and for rugged trips I use the Olympus Tough TG-810. Very great at all that it does.

Action video and underwater video (must replace curved lens for a flat lens for underwater video to get good focus) I use the Gopro 2.
Old 11-23-2013, 08:12 AM

timd will become famous soon enough

For fishing the Nikon AW110 waterproof compact camera. Take underwater shots to 46 ft and never worry about moisture etc.
Old 11-23-2013, 01:23 PM

lacanadio is just really nicelacanadio is just really nicelacanadio is just really nicelacanadio is just really nicelacanadio is just really nice

I happened to win a Panasonic TX-25, so it's my favorite. Similar to the TX-5, it's waterproof. Nice pics, ,at least by my standards.

Bob