The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree28Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2013, 08:52 PM

two_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of light
Default who dead drifts streamers?

Just curious who here will dead drifts streamers along the bottom. I fish a river where leeches are very prevalent, and I think dead drifting a leech along the bottom, with a stonefly drop would be very effective. Do I need to do anything different than I would fishing a nymph rig? do you usually swing it back at the end of the drift? I have never done this before, but would like to start trying it.

---------- Post added at 09:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:45 PM ----------

More specifically, thinking about flies like a simi seal leech and egg sucking leech, among others that have a lot of movement.
Old 11-22-2013, 09:32 PM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: who dead drifts streamers?

Dead drifting streamers is common... Whenever I do it... I'll make most of each cast... Drift... Let it swing past me and strip it back before casting back upstream... Cover a lot of water this way...
mcnerney, Sep, jaybo41 and 2 others like this.
Old 11-22-2013, 09:43 PM

two_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of light

Do you fish it as you normally would a nymph rig? With weight and an indicator?
Old 11-22-2013, 09:49 PM

jbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to behold

Ive caught MONSTER winter steelhead with small egg sucking leeches under an indicator. Fish it just like you described
mcnerney likes this.
Old 11-22-2013, 09:49 PM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

I personally wouldn't use an indicator... Just because on the strip back is be splashing water... And all my leech patterns are weighted
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 11-22-2013, 10:37 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

i fish mine just as these guys have mentioned, including the simi seal leeches. Swing it, drift it, twitch it, strip it. I'll add weight if I need to, it all depends on where i'm fishing--current, depth, where the fish are hanging out. When I fish simi seal leeches, they're beaded with tungsten and or brass with a few wraps of wire for weight.
Hardyreels and mcnerney like this.
Old 11-23-2013, 12:05 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I've been tying then (streamers) since my very first attempt at making a fly and trying to catch fish with them for the same length of time. What all that time has done is to allow me to actually know an answer to some questions. Remember, I said 'an answer' not, the answer

Now that I've gotten you to read something that had no bearing on what the fellow ask; I'll say that a good part of every cast I make, unless the cast is quartered across & downstream, is dead drifting my streamer. What is perhaps important for you to note would be that except for one incident, 100% of the fish I catch take the fly on the cross current swing or the dangle.

You may find that you can float even an exquisitely tied Gray Ghost beneath an indicator and catch a fish but you will not have had the thrill, the sense of achievement, that comes with having learned to effectively work a streamer fly and have a fish smack it hard on a tight line! When you feel that jolt of life energy and wildness, transmitted through the line that connects you to one of the Earths wonders, a trout or salmon, you will know exactly what I mean and why I have been fishing streamers religiously for so long

Since I mentioned the pattern in my reply, & have a copy handy.......
Click the image to open in full size.
mcnerney, jaybo41, tbblom and 6 others like this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 11-23-2013, 01:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels

You may find that you can float even an exquisitely tied Gray Ghost beneath an indicator and catch a fish but you will not have had the thrill, the sense of achievement, that comes with having learned to effectively work a streamer fly and have a fish smack it hard on a tight line! When you feel that jolt of life energy and wildness, transmitted through the line that connects you to one of the Earths wonders, a trout or salmon, you will know exactly what I mean and why I have been fishing streamers religiously for so long
The tug is the drug!
jaybo41 and tbblom like this.
Old 11-23-2013, 07:34 AM

jbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to behold

I love fishing streamers, theres so many presentations that work. I mentioned fishing one under an indicator because thats what the original question asked. It is super deadly! but there are many other presentations that work well. Many of which require a little practice and intuition. One of my favorite presentations with streamers is to do a slow, deep swing with several feet of line in my hand, and randomely I will drop a couple feet of line to make that streamer die for a moment. Then pick up the line with some jerky strips, then drop it a again. Many times, a fish is tracking the fly and this technique can illicit a response.
Hardyreels, mcnerney and jaybo41 like this.
Old 11-23-2013, 08:20 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

High stick dead drifting a pair of streamers in the long shore current
Stripers patrol in close looking for bait that's been stunned by the surf

Click the image to open in full size.