The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2013, 10:35 AM

Location: South Florida & the White Mountains of New Hampshire
MAD777 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: What tippet do you use?

I'm using Stoft's GTM nylon for freshwater, down to 7X as necessary, and 30 lb Seaguar fluorocarbon for salt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-23-2013, 10:37 AM

winstonwt will become famous soon enoughwinstonwt will become famous soon enough

Rio suppleflex for dries with 6-8x tippets.
Old 11-23-2013, 11:22 AM
Business Member

CutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to behold

If I had to choose only one, I am big fan of Trout Hunter. I also always have Rio tippet material as well as sun-line 2lb and 4lb line on smaller spools.

Mike
Hand Woven Furled Leaders
Site: http://www.cutthroatfurledleaders.com/
email. mike@cutthroatleader.com
Old 11-23-2013, 05:46 PM

craigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to behold

Thanks guys, I do have Maxima on hand as I use it to tie my leaders I amy give the lighter weights a test for fishing use, may also check out that Trout Hunter as well.
Old 11-23-2013, 06:04 PM

Location: Central PA. Surrounded by the best trout water in the entire country.
pa cope will become famous soon enoughpa cope will become famous soon enough

I've used Frog hair fluoro since it came out. Lately I've been dabbling withthe Feather-Craft house brand fluoro with no complaints. Tight lines, Jeff.
rickf, fly_guy12955 and jgentile like this.
Old 11-23-2013, 06:38 PM

Flyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by itchmesir View Post
Berkley Vanish in 2lb and 4lb. I still have plenty of SA mono tippet as I do most of my fishing sub surface.
Another vanish man. Works great and costs a lot less.

Dry flies, just the basic stuff from cabelas.
Old 11-23-2013, 06:57 PM

lake flyer will become famous soon enoughlake flyer will become famous soon enough

Vanish 14# for steelhead. Orvis Super Strong for trout.
Old 11-25-2013, 09:27 PM

craigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to behold

Anyone have any experience with TroutHunter Nylon tippets, looking at tests that have been done it looks up to par. Also the .5x sizes might allow some fine tuning.
Old 11-25-2013, 11:11 PM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

Over many years I can't remember how many Brands I've used & up to a couple of years ago years I used Frog's Hair Mono which I found about The Best.
The Fluoros I've used to date have been Max,Spiderwire & Trilene however I found when Max became Old it lost it's Knot Strength as I lost a few really Big Fish from it so I now check all my Tipits before Fishing & if they look a Bit worse for wear I change them out.
A lot of people I know who are Real Fine Tipit Fanatics Change them after every Fish they catch.
Brian.
Old 11-25-2013, 11:23 PM

amertens is on a distinguished road

Craigthor,

I've been using trouthunter all this year in 4,5, and 6x. Seems like good stuff, I like it and will probably continue to use it. I had heard some people say not to use it with dry's because it will sink but I have been using it for both with great success.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk