The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2013, 09:53 PM

craigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to behold
Default What tippet do you use?

I know like all things fly fishing this is personal preference, but curious on what tippet you all like. Currently I'm using the Varivas Master Spec Mono in 6x and 7x though my 6x hasn't been as appreciative on my western rod as it was on my Tenkara rod. I am trying to stick with Mono tippets as I fish mostly dries but curious on if there is any I should really try out.
Old 11-22-2013, 10:28 PM

itchmesir has much to be proud ofitchmesir has much to be proud ofitchmesir has much to be proud ofitchmesir has much to be proud ofitchmesir has much to be proud ofitchmesir has much to be proud ofitchmesir has much to be proud ofitchmesir has much to be proud of
Default Re: What tippet do you use?

Berkley Vanish in 2lb and 4lb. I still have plenty of SA mono tippet as I do most of my fishing sub surface.
turbineblade likes this.
Old 11-22-2013, 10:42 PM

two_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of light

Lately I have been buying Rio IGFA in 3x, 4x, 5x. Mainly because I am buying it for 1.29 for a 30 yard spool at Sierra Trading Post
dead drift likes this.
Old 11-22-2013, 10:50 PM

planettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud of

I generally stick with these tippet materials:

Click the image to open in full size.

This stuff has been excellent reviews:

Click the image to open in full size.

PT/TB

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/
Old 11-22-2013, 11:28 PM

runningfish is a name known to allrunningfish is a name known to allrunningfish is a name known to allrunningfish is a name known to allrunningfish is a name known to allrunningfish is a name known to all

I've bought Rio, SA and Orvis brand in various Xs, but using empty tippet spools, I spool my own tippet from P-Line CX clear 4lbs and 6lbs. Sunline FC Supersniper for my 7lbs streamer tippet. Saved me a lot of money.
Old 11-22-2013, 11:31 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Maxima Ultragreen or Chameleon and Seguar Grand Max. I also use Orvis Flouro for trout and have been plenty happy with it. For mono though, I love the Maxima.
Old 11-22-2013, 11:36 PM

waterfordcreek has a spectacular aura aboutwaterfordcreek has a spectacular aura aboutwaterfordcreek has a spectacular aura about

Rio and Orvis for the most part.
Old 11-23-2013, 01:30 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hi Craig,

When I was still fishing some dry flies and single nymphs I had taken to liking the Dai Riki tippet or Rio products. I thought the Dai Riki was the most supple and when you have to go to 7X supple is good. It always seemed strong too.

When I fished with 6 - 7 and even 8X leader tippets I used 'Shock Butt' material in my leaders. Shock tippet, believe it or not I still have a bunch, is a very strong clear nylon / rubber product with great elasticity, What you do is either fix a section about 1' either at the butt of the leader or integrate it into the line to leader connection. The idea is that when a fish makes that sudden lunge on a light line, the one which will break a 7X tippet knot; your leader butt comes to the rescue by adding just a little more shock absorption into the chain of command.

Lets face it, fly fishermen often times over think things, they love the intrigue of a new gadget or system, and you're thinking about shock tippets right now aren't you I may seem set in my ways now, stubborn and unflinching as fad after fad, wave after wave, of new fangled ways to catch some poor fish come along, but there was a time when I was trying to solve some of life's little problems............... Problems like an 18" brown trout showing up where you never figured on that happening and then sucking in your size 20 Little Blue Quill. Yep, Shock Tippet in my leader butts

BTW, I mailed your package and will PM tracking number to you.
jaybo41 and craigthor like this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 11-23-2013, 10:42 AM

turbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really nice

For trout, I generally use 4 pound (4x dia.) Maxima Ultragreen. I love that stuff so much. For smaller flies I some 2 pound maxima (6x dia.) that I also like.

For warm water I usually use 6-12 pound mono depending on the fly sizes, conditions, etc.

I only use tapered leaders for dry flies -- and I don't always use one then.

I usually don't use fluoro and I don't tend to over-think tippet too much.
itchmesir and craigthor like this.
Old 11-23-2013, 11:05 AM

bigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant future

The majority of the fishing I do is in tidal water for bass, Striped Bass & panfish. I've become very fond of Yozuri Hybrid for both leaders & tippets. I use it on some of my baitcasters & spinning reels as well, so having to buy only one line type is a plus. Depending on the rod weight, my tippets range from 4 to 25lb test, and the Hybrid works well for all of them.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!