The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By mudbug
  • 1 Post By gr8outdoorz
  • 1 Post By tbblom
  • 1 Post By brookfieldangler
  • 2 Post By runningfish

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2013, 07:20 PM

turbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really nice
Default Ego checked with 300gr sinking line!

Hey -- I had a question about casting a full-sink, integrated shooting head line (mine is a SA full sink in the 300gr size -- black >> pink running line -- casted on my TFO professional 9' 8-weight). I would consider myself an "intermediate" caster of rods 3-8 weight and I spend a lot of time working on my casting and have no problem with moderate distances, good accuracy, decent slack line casts, etc.

However -- this somewhat goes out the window with the 300gr line. I know from reading and experience that a slow, lobbing type cast is what you're going for. But man! I launched a decent backcast with a good haul, and then whacked myself on the forward cast earlier!

Is it possible that having too much overhang can cause problems like this? I was working with a few feet of overhang, maybe 4-5' or so. Methinks I'm too inexperienced with these lines to work with this much. Should I just work with a little overhang? Any other tips?

I can cast most floaters out to 80' without problem, but I was mostly hitting 50-60 feet with this sucker---then I got kind of chicken after hitting myself.

I don't want to be intimidated by this line -- I think it will put me on more fish if I learn to handle it properly. Thanks for the wisdom! As always --
Old 11-23-2013, 10:23 PM

mudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Ego checked with 300gr sinking line!

I think 300 grns is a bit much for even a fast 8wt. I know that I was recomended that for my 8wt BVK for fishing in Rocky Point but I'm glad I bought the 250 grn instead.
fredaevans likes this.
Old 11-23-2013, 11:17 PM

chased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to behold

300gr on a single hander is a significant amount of line. I think the grain range for an 8wt single hander is around 220 grains. Add the fact that it is a sinker, and it becomes really tough to cast like you want it to.
Perhaps make one good double haul and shoot it....see if that gets you the distance you want. The line should shoot out like a rocket with all of that mass.

-Chase
Old 11-23-2013, 11:22 PM

gr8outdoorz has a spectacular aura aboutgr8outdoorz has a spectacular aura about

Can't help you on full sink as I don't use them. However, I do use a 28ft 200gr sink-tip on a 6wt and a 30ft 330gr integrated shooting head (floating) on an 8wt. I differ from most as I don't overhang. On both rods I have about 6" of sink-tip/shooting head inside the tip. I roll cast pick up then backcast & shoot. The reason I use no overhang is, for me, it keeps the hinge out of the cast. The weights of the lines I get for those rods is plenty to load them with no overhang.

Carlton
fredaevans likes this.
Old 11-24-2013, 08:18 AM

bloomagoo will become famous soon enoughbloomagoo will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by chased View Post
300gr on a single hander is a significant amount of line. I think the grain range for an 8wt single hander is around 220 grains. Add the fact that it is a sinker, and it becomes really tough to cast like you want it to.
Perhaps make one good double haul and shoot it....see if that gets you the distance you want. The line should shoot out like a rocket with all of that mass.

-Chase
I don't know about full sinking line, but my 300 gr Rio Striper sinking tip is rated for 7/8/9 weights.
Old 11-24-2013, 08:28 AM

tbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to behold

Short false cast to a long shoot, use a little side arm and an open oval cast to avoid smacking your head.

The actual weight of line being cast is dependent on how much line the angler lets out of the rod.
for example, when casting heavy nymph rigs, I use a 4wt on a 5wt rod get the 'actual casting' weight back down.
When casting a 24' sinking head integrated line, the amount of line out depends on how big a streamer I am throwing. The heavier the streamer, the less line I false cast. Combined weight of the streamer plus the line is actually what is loading the rod.
ie, if you have 2/3 or the head out, you will be casting 200gr instead of 300gr.

One can cast a 5wt line on a 3wt, it just takes a lot less length of line to load the rod correctly.
I'm sure the spey/swing crowd will be able to dissect this problem further...
mcnerney likes this.
Old 11-25-2013, 08:10 AM

turbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really nice

Did a bit more with the line yesterday -- shorter amount of overhang.

Not nearly as many problems, but this is only casting and shooting to 45' or so. Not the "massive distance" everyone claims you get with a shooting head line. It just takes a more open loop and a bit more patience than a floater.

Also, my leader frequently lands in front of my fly line -- (i.e. my leader doesn't unroll out ahead of my line like you would ideally like to see).
Old 11-25-2013, 08:30 AM

brookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to behold

I struggled casting a true shooting head with a separate running line. It just felt all wrong and I quickly gave up on it.

Instead, I ended up going with an airflo forty plus sniper line. The head is 28' long and has an integrated running line. That has been nothing short of awesome. The head weight is 425g and I am casting it on a 9wt. Heavy as all hell, but when casting big musky flies, it just flat out works. One back cast, a haul forward, and shoot the **** out of it.

I have a video of it in the video library. On a non-windy day, I can almost cast the entire line that way with a big musky fly.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 11-25-2013, 03:30 PM

bloomagoo will become famous soon enoughbloomagoo will become famous soon enough

Just picked up a 9wt on E**y and, in a separate transaction, won a BPS Kingfisher loaded with SA Mastery 450 gr sink tip. Haven't yet had a chance to shake it down but it sounds like I might have my own muskie rig
Old 11-25-2013, 04:02 PM

runningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of light

Belgian cast works for me and you can add double haul into it.
mcnerney and fredaevans like this.