The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree124Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2014, 06:35 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Flies for Project Healing Waters and Casting for Recovery

Quote:
Originally Posted by strap44 View Post
Are there any specific flies that either organization could use more of/would prefer. Im always eager help a good cause. Im just learning to tie so if I tie anything half decent ill set them aside, otherwise I'm takin a day to run to some fly shops at the end of the month and can put a box or two together hopefully.
Anything you can tie would be more than appreciated by both Casting for Recovery and Project Healing Waters. Wooly buggers, Wooly worms, any nymph pattern, just pick something easy that you can tie well after a few attempts. It usually takes me about a dozen flies before they start to look like something I would give away, the others will always fish well. Glad to have any help you can do. No rush, I'm not going to turn them in to CFR and PHW until the end of April.

Larry

Old 03-01-2014, 01:45 PM

repperson29 is a jewel in the roughrepperson29 is a jewel in the roughrepperson29 is a jewel in the roughrepperson29 is a jewel in the rough

I just want to thank everybody that contributes to this cause, I am a benefactor, well I'm going to be next week when I attend my first class with my local healing waters chapter. I never even thought we would have one around here. Which is silly because I live on Lake Erie. I actually just talked to some of the local members at our outdoor show today and I remembered seeing this topic on here so I went to check it out. As someone who deals with PTSD and whatnot, fishing is truly one of the better ways to rehabilitate your mind. In my opinion atleast .

Again, thanks for all you guys do, I understand without the volunteers none of this could happen, and it does mean a lot to the people who are takin the classes.

Ryan
mcnerney and gzarboni like this.
Old 03-01-2014, 02:09 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by repperson29 View Post
I just want to thank everybody that contributes to this cause, I am a benefactor, well I'm going to be next week when I attend my first class with my local healing waters chapter. I never even thought we would have one around here. Which is silly because I live on Lake Erie. I actually just talked to some of the local members at our outdoor show today and I remembered seeing this topic on here so I went to check it out. As someone who deals with PTSD and whatnot, fishing is truly one of the better ways to rehabilitate your mind. In my opinion atleast .

Again, thanks for all you guys do, I understand without the volunteers none of this could happen, and it does mean a lot to the people who are takin the classes.

Ryan
Ryan: You are most welcome! Thanks for service to our country! We have some great folks on this forum that step up and help with causes like this, it makes me feel really good to be a small part of it.

If you get a chance send me the contact info for your local chapter, I'll give them a call and/or email to see if they would like some of our flies. We will have more than enough flies to support your local PHW program, the CFR, the PHW Fort Belvior and the Quantico PHW programs.

Larry

Old 03-02-2014, 01:35 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Re: Flies for Project Healing Waters and Casting for Recovery

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
0We have a an active thread going on discussing what you do with all your flies (see below) so that got me to thinking that maybe it is time to start a thread requesting flies for both Project Healing Waters and Casting for Recovery programs. If you have any flies that you would like to donate or are willing to tie up six or maybe a dozen for those two great organizations, that would be wonderful. The flies don't need to be all the same pattern, but they do need to be unused flies. I already have two dozen streamers that Eunan has donated from the recent swap and JP has also donated his flies, which are in the mail system at the moment.

The Project Healing Waters fly donation will be going to the group at Fort Belvior for the Wounded Warriors Program (thanks to Silver for reminding me of that great group of folks in need of some flies). At this point I'm not sure whether or not the Wyoming Casting for Recovery program will need flies or not for this years retreat, the gal that runs that program has been busy caring for her husband who is undergoing treatment for throat cancer (non-smoker), so at this point I will just collect flies for CFR in general, not knowing which organization will receive the flies. If your willing to donate flies to either Project Healing Waters or Casting for Recovery, send me a PM and I will forward my address.

What do you do with all the flies?

Volunteers helping out:
s. fontinalis............flies received!
jimmie...................flies received!
jpbfly.....................flies received!
bear 007................flies received!
calftail...................flies received!
theboz...................flies received!
comeonavs.............flies received!
eddie O'Neill...........flies received!
liphookedau............flies received!
mcnerney...............flies completed!
ghoceva.................flies received!
fredaevens
ia trouter
ctshooter
hairwing530 & his kids
gr8outdoorz
duker
gzarboni
von behr
r reese
randyflycaster
flyfishmich
finisher
strap44

Larry
Larry I AM A BAD PERSON! I have four fly boxes on my kitchen counter for this pass along. Please shoot me a name/address so I can get them posted out Monday.

Lost track of this thread .... is my only 'excuse.'

Fred
mcnerney likes this.
Old 03-02-2014, 09:25 AM
Administrator

Fred

No worries about being late. I sent you a PM with my address to send the fly boxes. Thanks again for helping out!

Larry

Old 03-02-2014, 01:02 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Flies for Project Healing Waters and Casting for Recovery

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
Fred

No worries about being late. I sent you a PM with my address to send the fly boxes. Thanks again for helping out!

Larry
Got it and will post off the boxes tomorrow.

fred
mcnerney likes this.
Old 03-05-2014, 01:47 AM

strap44 is on a distinguished road

I have one box half full with a bunch of random flies I've accrued from friends, starter boxes, wooleys ive tied and whatnot. Hoping to top it off next Friday (14th, payday). Just let me know where to send it then and ill get it out. Might throw in a 2nd small box with another dozen flies. If I've collected useless flies, let me know and ill try to throw another together. Im still new to the sport but excited and glad to help

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
mcnerney likes this.
Old 03-05-2014, 10:06 AM

gzarboni is just really nicegzarboni is just really nicegzarboni is just really nicegzarboni is just really nice

Hey Larry. Flies are all done and will be in the mail tomorrow or Friday. I tied a bunch of woolly worms and buggers and a bunch of attractor flies.
Glen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mcnerney likes this.

"There are no traffic jams along the extra mile"

http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/fo...logs/gzarboni/
Old 03-07-2014, 03:21 PM

gzarboni is just really nicegzarboni is just really nicegzarboni is just really nicegzarboni is just really nice

Flies are on there way. I mailed this morning. Thank you for this Larry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mcnerney likes this.

"There are no traffic jams along the extra mile"

http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/fo...logs/gzarboni/
Old 03-07-2014, 03:37 PM
Administrator

Fishiowa's flies arrived in the mail today! Thanks so much for the fly donation.

Click the image to open in full size.

Larry
calftail likes this.