The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2008, 06:30 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default How to fasten two loops together

Hi to all,

Here are instructions for connecting two loops together. The instructions will be placed in the FAQ. Are the instructions complete enough for a beginner to understand. I was thinking about adding a picture between Step 5 and Step 6 showing the line being pulled through the loop. Not sure it is needed.

Frank

Step 1

You need to have two lines with loops in the ends. This is useful for connecting a leader to a fly line or a tippet to a leader. A Perfection Loop or Surgeon Loop can be used. The loops shown in the photos are large for the sake of the demonstration. When fastening a tippet to a leader the loops should be as small as possible.

Click the image to open in full size.

Step 2

Place one loop over the other.

Step 3

Pinch the two loops together between your thumb and forefinger.

Step 4

Take the end of the line you placed over the other loop and put it through the loop in the other line.

Step 5

Grasp the end of the line you put through the loop and pull all the slack through the loop.

Step 6

The two loops will inter-lock like shown in the picture.

Step 7

Grasp both lines and pull the knot tight.

Old 02-20-2008, 06:38 PM

tightlines57 will become famous soon enoughtightlines57 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: How to fasten two loops together

Looks good Frank, once again thanks!
Old 02-20-2008, 07:03 PM

tbrillinger223 is on a distinguished road

Frank,

well done again!!

what knot did you use for your "leader" in the demonstration.

there should be a "how to" section and these posts should head them up.
Old 02-21-2008, 07:30 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute

Hi tbrillinger223,

The knots are Perfection Loops. I used some old fly line so it would show up well in the photo.

Frank
Old 02-21-2008, 02:11 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Great post w/ great pics Frank.
It's amazing how many people do not get the "loop to loop" right, even after they have been shown.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm probably wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

http://www.wasatchguideservice.com/

Old 02-21-2008, 07:19 PM

tie one on will become famous soon enoughtie one on will become famous soon enough

Frank,

Do you ever have any trouble with perfection loop knots
not holding well. I read somewhere recently that the author
found less strength in a perfection loop knot than a surgeon
loop. Any thoughts, or experience ???

Tie One On

P.S.
Do you typically use the loop-to-loop only on the butt section,
or do use them on down the line toward the fly ? I've heard it
both ways, maybe that would be a good thread discussion???
Anyway, great illustration/pictures I'm sure they were a help to
others.
Old 02-21-2008, 10:57 PM

MacFly55 will become famous soon enoughMacFly55 will become famous soon enough

..now I know why I have been making that connection wrong..
Old 02-22-2008, 10:25 AM
Administrator

Hi Tie One On,

I have not had any problems with the Perfection Loop failing. I don't know which knot may be the strongest. So one knot may be stronger if you test them to failure but who cares. The Surgeon knot may be 100% and the Perfection is only 97%. Not enough difference in real world applications. There is also the question of which Surgeon knot we are talking about.

I have caught Salmon using a Perfection Loop but I used an appropriate sized leader. Normally when I am fishing for Salmon or huge big Rainbows like they have in Alaska, I would use a triple Surgeon loop instead of a perfection. I don't ever remember having a Perfection or a Surgeon knot fail. The failure will almost aways come at the fly knot.

Here is how you can test the three loops (double surgeon, triple surgeon and the perfection). Get ten pieces of mono that is about 15" long. Tie a Perfection Loop in one end and tie the knot as perfect as you can. Then tie a Double Surgeon loop (perfect again) in the other end. Take two wooden dowels and place then into each knot. Now pull until one of the knots fails. Do this ten times and you will know which knot is the strongest. When one knot wins do another series of ten test using the winning knot and the Triple Surgeon Loop. When you are done you will know which knot is the strongest but not if it is a 100% knot. I wouldn't worry which knot is 100% because all of these knots are strong enough to catch fish. Now if you break the line instead of the knot, then that is a strong knot.

I use a loop to loop at the butt and for a tippet. Keep in mind that most of my fishing is subsurface and I am not worried about hinging. I do think if you use small loops you won't notice any hinging. We all have to find a system that works for us. Now I will say that if I was fishing the Kvichak River in Alaska I would tie my short leader to the fly line directly with a nail knot and use a Triple Surgeon knot (not loop) to fasten my tippet to the leader. The Kvichak has huge 30+ inch trout that are extremely wild. I would want the simplest, strongest setup that I could use.

Frank
Old 02-22-2008, 11:35 AM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

What a great idea posting that!
You wouldn't believe how many people put the tag through the wrong loop!
Might I suggest you post another picture showing the wrong way to do a handshake knot, where one loop is holding onto the other for dear life!
Old 02-22-2008, 12:36 PM
Administrator

Hi Jackster,

I am planning on doing that when I move it to the FAQ section. I am down right now with a bad back.

Frank