The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2013, 04:22 PM

ts47 has a spectacular aura aboutts47 has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Leader Management Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean_mt View Post
The basic principle could apply to your tapered leaders. If you have a 9' 4x leader you could cut back 3' from the tippet end and tie on a foot of 3x. Like this you'd have a decent nymph leader. Add 18-24" of 4x or 5x to the 3 and you have a dry fly leader.

Why cut up a perfectly good 9' leader? A leader is generally about 40% butt section, 40% taper, and 20% tippet. By cutting off the tippet and end of the taper section you will be able to keep track of how long your tippet is. And you can cut it back completely and tie your nymph to the 3x and pinch any weight above the knot and it will stay in place.
I like your idea Dean. I usually fish a leader until the tippet section is gone. These old leaders often get saved and used as nymph leaders just exactly the way you suggest.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

--Irish Blessing
Old 12-21-2013, 11:11 PM

Thanks everyone for your input! It is much appreciated!! I'm going to look into a leader wallet, likely mesh. I'll visit one or more of the local fly shops and look at what they have.

Happy Holidays!

Todd
mridenour likes this.

--Irish Blessing
Old 12-22-2013, 10:26 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

maybe I'm late to the party here

I have a leader wallet...Orvis, I think, maybe LLBean
It's handy enough. I like the accordion sleeves and I use it but in my opinion it's awful bulky.

In my other vests, I have and use a couple of old cordura regular wallets You know, billfolds.
In the past I've used a regular old leather wallet as well (with a fleece fly patch glued inside), that works too.
In the wallet's little side pockets, I carry some lead-heads, pre-rigged bite tippets, lead twist-ons, what ever little things that need a home
My hand tied leaders are in regular paper mailing envelopes, labeled
I find these "re-purposed" wallets to be very handy and they take up much less room in my vest pockets that my "official" leader wallet does.
Old 12-22-2013, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
maybe I'm late to the party here

I have a leader wallet...Orvis, I think, maybe LLBean
It's handy enough. I like the accordion sleeves and I use it but in my opinion it's awful bulky.

In my other vests, I have and use a couple of old cordura regular wallets You know, billfolds.
In the past I've used a regular old leather wallet as well (with a fleece fly patch glued inside), that works too.
In the wallet's little side pockets, I carry some lead-heads, pre-rigged bite tippets, lead twist-ons, what ever little things that need a home
My hand tied leaders are in regular paper mailing envelopes, labeled
I find these "re-purposed" wallets to be very handy and they take up much less room in my vest pockets that my "official" leader wallet does.
Hi Rip,

Thanks for the advice!

After getting advice from this thread, I did some internet shopping for a leader wallet. I found two different styles. Rio sells one that has clear pockets. I also just recently bought a Rio Versitip II line for my new 8wt. I opened the box only yesterday. Inside that box was a mesh (shooting head) leader wallet similar to what they sell at Orvis and other stores. I think it had 5 pockets.

My concern with the regular RIO wallet is trapping water inside those clear plastic envelopes and exactly what you mentioned - it seems a little bulky (thick). The mesh shooting head wallet is much thinner, won't trap water, comes in two sizes and looks like it could really do the job. RIOs version is about twice the cost of other stores, including Orvis. My only other concern is it would be nice to have something that looked different than the RIO wallet I already own. This way, I will be able to tell them apart without having to open the case first.

It's hard to keep me out of fly shops! There are 4 different stores within between 20 minutes and an hour drive of where I live. The next time I'm in one of those stores, I'll see what I can find that fits how I would like to use it.

I hope you have a Happy Holiday and Safe New Year!

Todd

--Irish Blessing
Old 12-22-2013, 01:40 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

I use 3" X 4" "white block" zip lock bags from Michaels Craft Store. They are $3.29 per 100. Label the bag with a Sharpie for leader length, tippet size, nymphing or dry. Hold the bags together with a rubber band. Simple, cheap, efficient.

If you want a "wallet," staple about 10 of the bags together at the bottom so you have a "flip leader wallet" that you can flip to the correct bag.

Click the image to open in full size.

You can use on of the zip locks to store your tippet rings. Sort the tippet rings by size by using a small safety pin to hold them.

You can organize the safety pins on a larger safety pin.

billyspey, dean_mt, ts47 and 3 others like this.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

Last edited by silver creek; 12-22-2013 at 02:07 PM.
Old 12-22-2013, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver creek View Post
I use 3" X 4" "white block" zip lock bags from Michaels Craft Store. They are $3.29 per 100. Label the bag with a Sharpie for leader length, tippet size, nymphing or dry. Hold the bags together with a rubber band. Simple, cheap, efficient.

If you want a "wallet," staple about 10 of the bags together at the bottom so you have a "flip leader wallet" that you can flip to the correct bag.

You can use on of the zip locks to store your tippet rings. Sort the tippet rings by size by using a small safety pin to hold them.

You can organize the safety pins on a larger safety pin.

Silver, you've got a good idea here. Is Michaels where you can buy all those odd sized ziplock bags? I'm thinking a variety of bag sizes to use for storing fly tying materials.

Btw... I do now plan to make a trip to Michaels. Thanks!

--Irish Blessing
Old 12-26-2013, 10:09 AM

Hi Everyone, and Thanks for all the feedback!

Just to close the loop on this, I made a trip to Orvis. They have a mesh leader wallet that comes in 2 sizes, 4 1/2" & 5 1/4". They have 3 dividers creating 5 pockets. The small size that was in stock in the store was just a bit too small. So, they ordered me the 5 1/4" version. The lager size fits the Orvis leader envelopes. I have yet to make the trip to Michaels like Silver suggested, but plan to in the near future.

Happy Holidays,

Todd

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

--Irish Blessing
Old 12-28-2013, 05:03 PM

skrap is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ts47 View Post
There really are just so many different aspects to this sport. It can be a bit overwhelming sometimes.

Todd
I have nothing to add other than truer words have not been spoken in a long time.
ts47 likes this.
Old 12-28-2013, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skrap View Post
I have nothing to add other than truer words have not been spoken in a long time.
Those were my words. Can I just say... It's good to know I'm not alone!

--Irish Blessing