The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree50Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2013, 08:25 PM

waterfordcreek has a spectacular aura aboutwaterfordcreek has a spectacular aura aboutwaterfordcreek has a spectacular aura about
Default I forgot just how funny a boat ramp can be.

Ok....so, nice day...80 and sunny. I am bored out of my mind.

So, i went up to the county beach and boat ramp....the ramp was VERY buzy and hilarious. One ramp....10 boats waiting to get out...the same to get in.

Some of it stupid and dangerous.

There where those who couldnt back a trailer.....forgetting the plug...breaking rods...drunk and jumping out of a moving boat approaching mooring...tempers flaring...all in all...very entertaining.
Old 12-23-2013, 11:07 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: I forgot just how funny a boat ramp can be.

Between boat launches and guys trying to net a king salmon these are two things that can make a fellow feel pretty good about himself.

Here many of the launch sites are in or just on the edge of some fast moving water. A little imagination and you can get an idea of some of the exciting things that happen. The worst thing I've witnessed was a few years ago at the peak of the king salmon season a few years back. This is when people lose their minds about launching a boat, they try to jump the order in the line, everything rude and flat out in your face you can think of. Well I show up and there is a jam up happening, at the ramp there is a truck with trailer in the river. The way it is backed in it is covering 2 out of a possible 'tight' 3 spots on the width of the ramp. The truck is running, windows are up, and it is very much locked.

The owner was a mess, on a cell phone trying to find someone who could come down there and open that 'new' truck. This launch is roughly 60 miles from anything and I advised him to call the AK. State Troopers. I figured they could open his truck and protect him from the mob who were very willing to break the windows to get the truck moved.

I have no idea how that worked out because I left when I realized the mess things were in........

Netting a salmon; Once on a stream called Lake creek I saw a guy hook a king salmon. He was up stream and across from me, probably 80 yards upstream on the opposite bank. It was a nice day and as the 'battle' unfolded into a most epic event I took a seat in my boat and watched the action.

The area I was parked at was at the top of the only long strait run on this whole creek, I'll guess the entire length to be almost a quarter mile, it's a long stretch. Well, before I knew it this guy whit a spinning rod who had hooked the fish was all the way down to where the stream dropped steeply and split around an island in some swift riffle waters. I had to observe the festivities through my Zeiss 10 X 25 binoculars, which I always carry in my tackle bag, because this whole thing had moved way too far down flow for the naked eye to enjoy the show.

At the climax of activity there were 5, yep five men wielding those huge salmon nets in the water stumbling and some falling in an effort to coral this poor fish. I've gotta say that for an old red colored salmon the thing had an enormous amount of strength and endurance and in hindsight it's a shame it didn't get to breed because I've caught a few who simply just surrendered. It was something else. I wouldn't hesitate to say the whole ordeal took up 15 minutes and there had to have been at least 20 failed attempts at capturing the fish in those nets in only a foot or so of water. Guys falling, yelling commands, all in an effort to catch a king.............

I've seen others who made me glad that I wasn't them but that show; well that was something that if I never see something like that again, it will be OK. Think Keystone Cops in real life. I don't want to sound judgmental but sometimes you gotta call it like you see it. When the guy came back up to where they all had a tent camp and I saw the color of that poor fish.................... That's when I put the pieces together. This was a group who had been dropped off there on a DIY trip by someone else. They were there to fill coolers and no one seemed to know that when the fish are that long in, and colored up, they are not good food. There was great merrymaking and countless photos taken of the bloody dead fish.

I sat just long enough to determine where I might get off to from this spot which had at first seemed promising for some trout fishing and then I started the boat and left that place. I've never went back up there.........

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 12-23-2013, 11:32 PM

ia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to behold

I watched a pretty nice ford truck disappear into the Mississippi last spring. I was surprised how long the lights were operational after it was well under water. My brother-in-law attempted something similar 20 years ago but it wasn't nearly as entertaining that time as it was my new truck.
Old 12-24-2013, 12:09 AM

milt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond repute

December caption contest??? milt
Old 12-24-2013, 12:56 AM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by milt spawn View Post
December caption contest??? milt
My thoughts exactly! That contest picture reminds me to much of my 30th birthday fishing trip gone bad! But I won't get into that !
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 12-24-2013, 01:04 AM

fq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterfordcreek View Post
Ok....so, nice day...80 and sunny. I am bored out of my mind.

So, i went up to the county beach and boat ramp....the ramp was VERY buzy and hilarious. One ramp....10 boats waiting to get out...the same to get in.

Some of it stupid and dangerous.

There where those who couldnt back a trailer.....forgetting the plug...breaking rods...drunk and jumping out of a moving boat approaching mooring...tempers flaring...all in all...very entertaining.
Been there, done that, and glad I had a canoe, no need for the ramp. I'd just take ke the boat off the the truck and portage to the water. I could watch the craziness, and giggled while folks fought each other to get to the far side of the lake. Me? I just paddled a few hundred yards from the ramp and caught bass while everyone else was blasting off with hundred horse power mercs and ignoring what was two long casts away. It was worth the the drive just to watch the show.
Hardyreels, mcnerney and mridenour like this.
Old 12-24-2013, 02:21 AM

Liphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud of

I can relate to all of those things mentioned with another to add which we all still talk about.

Many years ago a workmate lent us his Boat which had about a 20HP Outboard on The Back.
The Steering System was A Steering Wheel which had The Cable Wound onto The Back of it similar to on a Winch Drum.
The Cable came off the Winding arrangement & The Mate rewired it however he wound The Wire on The Wrong way & when we tried to Steer The Boat it turned in The Wrong Direction.
At The time there were 4 of us in The Boat at & all of us laughed except The guy who "Fixed The Steering" as he couldn't at the time see the funny side also the rest of us must have looked a pack of Dills as well.
Brian
fredaevans and mridenour like this.
Old 12-24-2013, 09:00 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: I forgot just how funny a boat ramp can be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ia_trouter View Post
I watched a pretty nice ford truck disappear into the Mississippi last spring. I was surprised how long the lights were operational after it was well under water. My brother-in-law attempted something similar 20 years ago but it wasn't nearly as entertaining that time as it was my new truck.
Many-many years back and watched the above .... the two guys were drunk as all heck and had made complete ass's of themselves racing up/down the Cowlitz River (Southern Washington). Leaving your new rig trannie in 'neutral,' even with the hand break on is not going to stop you/it. Boat strapped down on the trailer heck of a lot of weight!! from going for a total dunk. Collectively we Bankies applauded as we watched the event unfold. Watching one of the yo-yo's diving for the drivers seat and doing a swim in the river was a one time life event.

There is a God and he will have his retribution!

I've also seen a few drift boats get away even with the anchor out. THE CHASE IS ON!
mcnerney, mridenour and ia_trouter like this.
Old 12-24-2013, 11:52 AM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of

Years back there was a launch on the Ca delta with a set of bleachers for spectators...locals would bring over a picnic and watch the drunks try to get out of the water.

Moss Landing, 7/4....1999, I think...new son in law bonding with pop in law going salmon fishing. Pop backing the boat down with son in law in the boat, ready to start the engine (as directed) as soon as the boat is in the water. Unfortunately he put down the out drive while pop was backing...the out drive dug into the ramp and the bow of the boat hit pops in the back of the head. Not sure who shot who after that, but it wasn't pretty....
fredaevans and mridenour like this.
Old 12-24-2013, 11:54 AM

tarponfly49 is on a distinguished road

Living in SW FL I can tell you I've sat with buddies many a days with a cooler just laughing our as#es off about 4pm on a saturday or sunday at the attempted "trailerings"
mridenour likes this.