The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By timd
  • 1 Post By silver creek

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2014, 11:15 AM

craigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to behold
Default Knotless line to leader connection?

Anyone using it? I've seen references here and there and found this site with a how to on doing so.

On The Water - Warmwater Fly Tyer - by Ward Bean

Curious if anyone has used it and what was your experience.
Old 01-06-2014, 12:18 PM

timd will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Knotless line to leader connection?

I used it on one of my 4 weights last year in Montana worked great. If you change leaders a lot ,time consuming but no knots works great with long leaders.
craigthor likes this.
Old 01-06-2014, 12:34 PM

craigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to behold

Thanks I've found a few other methods of employing this as well. Lots to look at and do. I'm mostly looking at ways to keep my line from hanging on the guides as the nail knot passes through. I use hand tied knotted leaders so the knot doesn't bother me except the one at the leader to line that seems to always hang. I figured out a way to get my butt material through and nail knotted it so I will see if that is an improvement over the outside nail knot. Also need to track down some pliobond or UV Knot Sense just too cold to want to leave the house today.
Old 01-06-2014, 06:07 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigthor View Post
Anyone using it? I've seen references here and there and found this site with a how to on doing so.

On The Water - Warmwater Fly Tyer - by Ward Bean

Curious if anyone has used it and what was your experience.
I used to use this method but it has a drawback. The monofilament that is inserted into the end of the fly line stiffens it. So the very tip of the fly line cannot bend with loop formation. Eventually the fly line coating will crack exactly at the junction of the mono and fly line.

You will then need to cut back the tip of the fly line and make another connection.

The reason for eliminating a knot is to prevent the knot from catching on the tip top rod guide or lower guides and breaking off the tippet when landing a fish. If you will turn the rod over so the reel is facing up as you go to net the fish, the knots and leader will run along the rod blank and not over the edges of the guide. If you will do this and smooth nail knots with Pliobond flexible cement, you won't catch the knots on the guides.
craigthor likes this.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 01-06-2014, 07:09 PM

Thanks Silver, no Pliobond locally so I'll order some. I redid my knot as well so now the leader comes through the middle of the fly line and the knot is above it so it looks like it will flow smoother through.