The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By eastfly66
  • 1 Post By MoscaPescador
  • 1 Post By Rip Tide
  • 1 Post By moucheur2003

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2014, 07:25 PM

eastfly66 will become famous soon enougheastfly66 will become famous soon enough
Default fly line shelf life ?

What is the opinion on line not being used for an extended time ? How do you store line ? I have lines (SW) that have been spooled and not used for 3-4 yrs. They look ok ?
Nearenuf likes this.
Old 01-06-2014, 09:26 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: fly line shelf life ?

Some of my tropical lines that I used on my last trip were well over five years old. They worked fine.

After a trip, I remove the lines off the spools, soak and clean them, and store them in six inch coils being held with zip ties.
chi flyfisher likes this.
Old 01-06-2014, 09:36 PM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

I have an emergency floating tarpon line that is about a 13 wt I found floating in the ocean in the spring of 1990 (without a tarpon on the end) that is still in "like new" condition. It's been out of direct sunlight all these years. I would not hesitate to use it.
Old 01-06-2014, 09:51 PM

christianfishn has a spectacular aura aboutchristianfishn has a spectacular aura aboutchristianfishn has a spectacular aura about

It usually depend if its on sale or not...
All kidding aside, I opened a box of Cortland line from my grandfather that was probably 60+ years old. Its still on a 6wt and the line does what its supposed to. It doesn't float that great but there are no cracks and its strong. I believe a lot of it has to do with what it is exposed to. a line in a cool dry place for a hundred years would most likely do much better than one left out in the Arizona sun for a few years.
I keep my line out of the sun when Im not using it and out of the heat. As long as a lines not breaking, cracking, and stiff, or super gimpy, Ide be fine to use it Even those cheap ebay lines do the job for me sometimes.
Old 01-07-2014, 04:56 AM

eastfly66 will become famous soon enougheastfly66 will become famous soon enough

Thanks for the In put. I have 2 lines for salt on my 10 wt. that have not seen action in about 4 yrs. since I moved inland and my buddy sold his boat
They have been in a cool dry storage , just spooled (I am going to pull them off today). At 75 bucks a line I was not happy with having to replace them !
Old 01-07-2014, 09:44 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I have a few saltwater lines that are better than 15 years old and I scrub those to clean them with one of those green Scotchbrite pads

There's a 4wt line in front of me right now that I bought in 1981 that's still usable.
eastfly66 likes this.
Old 01-22-2014, 08:05 PM

Nearenuf is on a distinguished road

Thanks for asking this question. I clean and dress my lines, but do not remove them from the reel. Do people think this is necessary?

The true joy in pursuing trout is that they live in the most beautiful places.
Old 01-22-2014, 08:42 PM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by capecodangler View Post
Thanks for asking this question. I clean and dress my lines, but do not remove them from the reel. Do people think this is necessary?
It's good to clean and dress lines between seasons, and even during the season if you use them a lot. They just cast better.

It's also good to store them in larger coils off the reel, so they don't develop kinks, although spooling them and unspooling them is a lot of trouble.

Nevertheless, I have some lines stored on some reels that I haven't used in years that are still in good shape. Some are 15-20 years old and might go 2-3 years between uses. As long as you put them away dry and clean (so they don't mildew), and stretch them out before using them again to get the kinks out, and dress them if needed so they cast smoothly, they won't wear out merely from storage.

Of course, also be sure to store a reel with the drag set as loose as possible, or else the drag might wear out before the fly line. And remember to clean and re-lube a reel that hasn't been used in a few years, even if you did before you stored it, because old grease gets stiff.
Nearenuf likes this.