The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2014, 07:50 PM

repperson29 will become famous soon enoughrepperson29 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Vise decision

I can't answer the question, but do you have any openings at your place of employment? I sure could use a cabelas gift card, that way I'd tell my wife "hunny, I HAVE to spend it at cabelas, it's their gift card!"

Ryan
Old 01-15-2014, 08:51 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

I own a Peak, have had it I think nearly since they came out? Anyone know the first production year?

Anyway, my thoughts and approach with it echo Avs' post. Great vice for the coin and does everything I've needed it to do. Very heavy base, I think I've read they may have the heaviest base for that matter. That's great because it translates into a sturdy vise if you're going the pedestal route. Do make sure to get the midge jaws, you will want them when you tie small flies.

I don't own a Renzetti, but know that many people have them and love them. Honestly, not a bad choice between the two.
comeonavs likes this.
Old 01-15-2014, 10:20 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

A price point I do not understand is the base. I own a Regal,,and went with the 'clamp' to save a few bucks. I really wish I had the base now, but the dang things are (in my opinion) over priced for what they are. Anyone have a base with a 3/8's mounting hole they wanna sell...reasonable ? I'm sure about any makers base would work if its 3/8's.

Mike
Old 01-15-2014, 10:25 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure what you consider reasonable, but these sure are pretty. I've seen them in person, photos don't do them justice.

The Granite Fly Home - THE GRANITE FLY
Old 01-15-2014, 10:47 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

Jay,,those are dang neat ! Wonder how they mounted the rod mount into the stone ? Thanks,,I enjoyed looking at those.
Old 01-16-2014, 05:04 AM

jcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nice

Since you got such a big amount to spend you'll have enough money to get the midge jaws for the peak. Take a look at the Anvil Atlas rotary vice. The jaws will cover a big range of hooks without changing them. This will be my next vice. I have the Apex made by Anvil but it's not a true rotary vice like the Atlas and Peak. It does rotate though.
kglissmeyer1 likes this.
Old 01-16-2014, 08:24 AM

markm is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by repperson29 View Post
I can't answer the question, but do you have any openings at your place of employment? I sure could use a cabelas gift card, that way I'd tell my wife "hunny, I HAVE to spend it at cabelas, it's their gift card!"

Ryan
Thr gift card is a reward for my 25 year anniversery with the company in April. Can't beleive ive been here 25 years. Expeccially as the plan 25 years ago was to just work here for a couple years to earn some money for school.
Old 01-16-2014, 09:31 AM

kglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond repute

Not to dis anybody or their product, but my Renzetti Traveler just popped one of the jaws. It appears the metal was weak as it looks to be crystallized. I did a search and found that many have had the same experience. I have only had this vise for two years and tied a lot of flies on it.

I called Renzetti and then sent an email to the gal I spoke with and 1 week later I still have not heard word one from them. My next vise will also be the Anvil Atlas rotary.

Kelly.
Old 01-16-2014, 11:38 AM

ts47 has a spectacular aura aboutts47 has a spectacular aura about

I started tying with a Renzetti Traveler and have been very happy. I bought an old used one for my son. It shows very definite signs of wear from a LOT of use. It still works as good as my new one. I tie the same size flies and buggers with it and have had no issues.

It's interesting to see that so many folks here use a Peak. I always thought Renzetti was a step up from Peak. Maybe I'm wrong?

While I haven't looked into Peak, I would recommend you check the Renzetti and Peak websites to see if you can get the appropriate replacement parts and optional attachments before deciding. Everyone ties their own way. Make sure you will be able to do what you want with the vise now and in the future.

Todd

PS: How do we talk our bosses into giving us Cabelas gift cards? What's your secret???

--Irish Blessing
Old 01-17-2014, 09:08 AM

notenuftoys has a spectacular aura aboutnotenuftoys has a spectacular aura about

I started with a Griffin Mongoose as my first vice, then tied on my buddy's Renzetti Traveler for about 3 years. This Christmas I looked hard at Dyna-King and the more expensive Renzetti, but after all the reviews decided to buy my own Traveler.

And I tie everything from 3/0 bass flies to #22 midges, and never have a hook slip.

Here's a suggestion: when you get the card, buy both vices. Tie for two weeks, and return the one that feels less comfortable. Take advantage of Cabela's generous return policy.