The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2014, 09:49 AM

markg52 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Vise decision

I've had the Renzetti for probably 10-12 years. Great vise. I've not had any jaw problems and have tied big ol streamers down to tiny size 30 midges. I have both the pedestal and the clamp. Use pedestal biggest majority of the time. good luck on your decision. Don't think either is a bad choice.
Old 01-17-2014, 11:38 AM

monkeyboy is a jewel in the roughmonkeyboy is a jewel in the roughmonkeyboy is a jewel in the roughmonkeyboy is a jewel in the rough

the PEAK works
I like the design, I like the way it looks , I like the way it works
rotates
simple to use, indexes hooks
easy to swap out jaws

I've been tying for forty years , I really appreciate the features offered by the PEAK vise.
I tie on a Nor Vise from time to time but....
buzz

the universe in a drop of water

Norta Mudzoory
Old 01-17-2014, 01:03 PM

Bigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Bigfly

Another vote for a look at Dyna-King...
They are made in US...
Beefy, and jaws are available should you wear them out....
I added a flex joint to mine, so I can tie at any angle...
Lots of cool accessories.

Jim
Old 01-17-2014, 02:17 PM

akruss will become famous soon enough

We are so fortunate to have so many excellent vises at our disposal. You really can't go wrong with any of them. I like my rotary Renzetti Presentation 4000 for nearly all my tying. I use a standard Dyna King for Clousers and a rotary Dyna King Barracuda for large salt water flys - until my brother in law took it back, LOL. If I was tying mostly midges, I think hard about a Renzetti 3000. The Peak looks like a really nice vise although I have never used one.
Old 01-17-2014, 04:10 PM

gfirob is a jewel in the roughgfirob is a jewel in the roughgfirob is a jewel in the roughgfirob is a jewel in the rough

I'll put my two bits in because I just sold my Peak vise and traded up to a Nor Vise, not without some trepidation, thought, because I liked the Peak vise quite a bit. What the Nor vise has over the Peak vise (and all traditional rotary vises, I suppose) is the extraordinary level of precise control on the rotation function. Since you can turn the entire thing with two fingers, very tiny increments of winding and unwinding of thread or materials are possible. The spinning lathe-like function is cool, but that precision is really something. And the Nor bobbin is a great innovation. I'm surprised it doesn't get more attention. I didn't have a big learning curve with the vise, but some people complain about that.

But the Peak is a tank, I never had problem with it, though I always found the nylon rotation break to be a little clunky. It's beautifully designed and very well put together. I used it for about a year.

Like you, though, I got a little windfall for fly-tying and I decided to get a vise I ordinarily wouldn't have spent the money on.
Old 01-17-2014, 09:39 PM

duker is just really niceduker is just really niceduker is just really niceduker is just really niceduker is just really nice

You might also want to check out the HMH Spartan. I think Cabelas has them for about $200. Not a true rotary, but very well made and great customer service from the company. I love mine, and it will last forever.

Scott
Old 01-17-2014, 11:19 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I think we have a member selling an HMH Spartan, I can check for you if you decide to go that way.

Hi Scott

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 01-18-2014, 12:17 AM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by duker View Post
You might also want to check out the HMH Spartan. I think Cabelas has them for about $200. Not a true rotary, but very well made and great customer service from the company. I love mine, and it will last forever.

Scott
Not sure what you mean by true rotary. HMH are are great vises, I am always surprised at how few people mention them when these threads come up.

I have an HMH Standard, the Spartan is essentially the same in function and they are rotary vices that will do the exact same thing as a Renzetti. You just have to adjust the neck to parallel to the table and spin away.

Excellent little vices with great customer service.
Old 01-18-2014, 09:20 AM

akruss will become famous soon enough

I'm hardly an expert but a "true rotary" vise is one that positions the hook so that when you rotate the arm, the hook shaft is the center of rotation. This allows easy wrapping of body or hackle materials by simply rotating the vise arm instead of doing so by hand. My standard (?) Dyna King vise can rotate but the fly is off center and you really can't wind on any material by rotating the vise arm. A Dyna King Baracuda is a true rotary vise. Nearly all rotary vises have a double bend in the arm to allow for centering the hook.
Old 01-18-2014, 09:40 AM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

After seeing the NorVise in action at the fly show it is a work of art. I bought some of his bobbins too.

My thing owning the Peak is I have $200 invested in, will I get say $400 worth of value by getting a NorVise , and while it is truly amazing piece of craftsmanship I don't see $400 in value for me right now.

Maybe someday but for now my Peak does what I need it to do very well.