The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2014, 10:01 AM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Vise decision

Peak Vise Review:

Peak Rotary Fly Tying Vise Review

Sexyloops Review - PEAK Vise

Fontinalis Rising: Gear Review- Peak Rotary Vise

"Peak Vise - Fly Angler's OnLine Product Review"

Reader Reviews: Peak Rotary Vise | | Hatches Fly Tying Magazine

Fly Fish Food: Peak Vise Review

Renzetti Traveller Reviews:

Gear Review: Renzetti Traveler Vise | MidCurrent

Hatches Magazine - Renzetti Traveler Cam Series Vise

Renzetti Traveler Fly Tying Vise - Tested Review - Quest Outdoors

Cabela's - Renzetti Cam Series Traveler Vise customer reviews - product reviews - read top consumer ratings

Peak vs Renzetti:

Paflyfish - Renzetti Traveler vs. Peak Rotary [Forums - Fly Tying]

Silver

http://tinyurl.com/kkctayx

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 01-18-2014, 10:17 AM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

I thought that was what you meant. I am not familiar with the Dyna King but the HMH is a straight body tube that holds the jaws, it is easy to align this to be parallel to the table top and create a continuous axis with your hook if you want to spin the vise to wrap materials on. Like this guy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDhI...e_gdata_player

But you are right, it is not like the Renzetti or others offset vises. Personally, I don't see why a true rotary would be that great an advantage. Aside from speed wrapping bugger bodies I just can't see how spinning the vise would better at wrapping a dry fly hackle or a delicate pheasant tail body or neat smooth floss body than using my hand to wrap the material around the vise.

I know people are going to cry foul, but I think its more of a gimmick to sell more expensive vises. Like I said, if you crank out lots bugger's and big bodied flies I'm sure there is a good advantage, but for the average person that ties all of their own flies I think a vise that can be adjusted into different positions is more versatile.

HMH is the gold standard of form and function in a fly tying vise. Its a solidly built and smooth operating tool, made in the US, and with excellent customer service.
Old 01-18-2014, 10:32 AM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Dean,

I confess that I don't use it much to rotate materials on the hook either,

But I do find rotary vises useful to look at the other side of the fly, to turn the fly upside down to tie in beard hackle, and to rotate the fly during the application and curing of UV resins.

Silver

http://tinyurl.com/kkctayx

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 01-18-2014, 12:16 PM

markm is on a distinguished road

[QUOTE=silver creek;632023]Peak Vise Review:

Peak Rotary Fly Tying Vise Review

Sexyloops Review - PEAK Vise

Fontinalis Rising: Gear Review- Peak Rotary Vise

"Peak Vise - Fly Angler's OnLine Product Review"

Reader Reviews: Peak Rotary Vise | | Hatches Fly Tying Magazine

Fly Fish Food: Peak Vise Review

Renzetti Traveller Reviews:

Gear Review: Renzetti Traveler Vise | MidCurrent

Hatches Magazine - Renzetti Traveler Cam Series Vise

Renzetti Traveler Fly Tying Vise - Tested Review - Quest Outdoors

Cabela's - Renzetti Cam Series Traveler Vise customer reviews - product reviews - read top consumer ratings

Peak vs Renzetti:

Paflyfish - Renzetti Traveler vs. Peak Rotary [Forums - Fly Tying][

/QUOTE]

Thanks! Lots of good info there. I tried both vices in a local flyshop yesterday and liked both vices. I liked the sturdy base of the Peak but liked the jawd on the Traveler. I think I would be happy witn either vise but am leaning towards the Travler.

I have thought about going to a even more expensive vise but I want to stay in the 200 range. I want to use part of my 500 dollars toward a new 6 weight fly rod.

Mark
Old 01-18-2014, 12:44 PM

sweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud of

I too do not use the rotary feature for applying materials; only for the simplicity of rotating the fly to apply materials on the underside...frequent with bonefish, upside down riding crab and shrimp imitations. Also for trimming hackle on the underside of a thorax dry fly pattern. The Renzetti is beautifully built and is my primary vise but I have a Peak too which is quite fine and far less costly. I do like parallel clamping versus collet/cam draw tight jaws. There are more fine vices out there now than ever.
jaybo41 likes this.
Old 01-18-2014, 03:28 PM

von behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud of

I have the Renzetti Traveler and use the rotary feature a lot for applying various materials. It makes the process much simpler for me. That said, if it was not a "true rotary" vise, wrapping materials by spinning the vise would not work nearly as well, as there would be a wobble in the hook as the vise is rotated.

Once I got in the habit of using the rotary feature, I've found it much faster and consistent than wrapping by hand. For tiny flies, wrapping by hand is usually the way to go, but for larger bugger patterns or saltwater flies, rotary is the ticket.

I've used the Renzetti for several years, and have not had a problem. It is much smoother and holds a wider range of hooks than my small Dyna King, which I rarely use any more.

I would get the Renzetti. It's made in USA, and there is a wide range of attachments and interchangeable parts available to meet your needs.

-VB
Hardyreels likes this.