The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/)
-   -   Vise decision (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/342523-vise-decision.html)

markm 01-15-2014 09:03 AM

Vise decision

I'm going to be getting a 500 dollar cabelas gift card through my work in the next couple months. I have decided to upgrade my old Griffin vise and get with the times and buy a new rotary one. Im looking at Renzitti Travler and the Peak vise. I want to get a pedestal mount. I tye alot of 16-24 size flies with occasional 4-10 streamer. Any comments on these two vices or any others I should look at?

Mark

randyflycaster 01-15-2014 09:42 AM

Re: Vise decision

You can't go wrong with either, from what I know.

Randy

johnstoeckel 01-15-2014 09:55 AM

I've owned and used a Peak since they first came out and am very happy with it. It holds all the trout and small mouth bass size hooks very well, it's easily adjustable, very solid,made in the USA, and I like the heavy white base (easier to find hooks, beads and such).

Most of my friends have Travelers. Its probably the most popular vise for trout flies and there must be a good reason for that.

Unless you're savings some of your $500 for another item, you could also think about a Dynaking vise. They seem to also get very good reviews.

aggie182 01-15-2014 09:58 AM

I have used the Peak for years and have been extremely happy with it. I like the white pedestal mount as well for the reasons listed above.

josie 01-15-2014 10:28 AM

I have a Peak rotary and have no issues. Well built, great design, solid thru and thru. Just my 2cents. Prior to the Peak i used a Thompson A for years.

raindogt 01-15-2014 10:35 AM

There have been a rash of Cabelas gift card forgeries recently. I'd really feel terrible if you got busted for trying to use a counterfeit card. better send it my way for proper disposal, you know-- just to be safe.
As for the vice- you can't go wrong with either. If you can, you might test them out before you decide. One might just feel more natural to you. You don't buy a rod without testing and wiggling and casting, why buy a vise (especially a big(ger) ticket one that you will presumably have for the rest of your life) without testing and touching and demo'ing?

markm 01-15-2014 07:21 PM

Thanks guys, i'll have to give them each a test drive.

Mark

jbird 01-15-2014 07:40 PM

I haven't used either but they both have a cam which is a plus for me. Something really important for me is a vise I can rest/brace my left hand on while doing delicate work. Both vises have that, but from looking at them, the Peak wins that category.

comeonavs 01-15-2014 07:59 PM

I like my Peak a lot , it does everything I need it to. Holds the hook tightly and the rotary function is very smooth and there when I need it.

The only add on's I've bought is the midge jaws for the small stuff 18,20,22,24.
I also just bought the material clip (spring looking thing). When I tie I tie a dozen at a time so I use long pieces of wire, tinsel etc so that helps keep excess material out of the way.

akruss 01-15-2014 08:00 PM

I've never tried the Peak vise and am sure it's a good vise. I really like the Renzetti vises. They are compact and well made. I believe Cabelas has the Master Renzetti on sale for about 5 bills. It may arguably be the best of all vises, JMHO.

I just checked and the Renzetti Master is no longer on sale. The Peak looks nice.