The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2014, 06:58 AM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: New line doesn't fit reel... how would you proceed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ia_trouter View Post
One option is a Cabelas Wind River size 1 for 20 bucks. They hold a lot of backing. More than advertised in my estimation though I can't say I measured. Drag isn't half bad either.
Probably the best solution, but only if you want to spend a little more money. If you don't, I still say cut the line. If you ever do need to replace it you can probably find another good-enough line on sale or closeout for about the same money as a cheap reel today.
Old 01-16-2014, 09:06 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

Throw it all in the trash and stick with your 4-weight...is what I want to say but that's not nice! So instead; option 1. do what Ard said and get a bit larger reel or, for fun, 2. buy some floating fly line, level, running line; cut the DT2F in half and splice 30' of running line to the thick end of your severed DT. You then will have a custom WF2F that will fit on your diminutive reel with a few yards of backing to boot. In fact you will have two of them.

As a sidebar; I always get a rod first and then match a reel to it for balancing weight and capacity. If I am to ere, it will always be on the side of a larger reel, never smaller.
Old 01-16-2014, 09:42 AM

caberguy will become famous soon enoughcaberguy will become famous soon enough

I had to rather unexpectedly buy a new laptop this month, and pay to repair damage caused when somebody tried to help themselves to my Jeep, so I guess I'd rather not spend any additional money at the moment. So I'll probably just switch the BBS II Over to my 2wt for the time being. Then again, trout season in Wisconsin doesn't start until March, so maybe I'll feel different next month.

And yes, Ard, the el cheapo reel is tiny, and not only is it tiny, but it's also sort of a large arbor design. It was advertised as a 2/3. Here it is being dwarfed by my BBS II and my Tioga #4:

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 01-16-2014, 10:22 AM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by caberguy View Post
I had to rather unexpectedly buy a new laptop this month, and pay to repair damage caused when somebody tried to help themselves to my Jeep, so I guess I'd rather not spend any additional money at the moment. So I'll probably just switch the BBS II Over to my 2wt for the time being.
Well, that's the one option that isn't irreversible.
Old 01-16-2014, 01:16 PM

throssing is on a distinguished road

Go with option 2: cutting the line in half.
Old 01-16-2014, 08:13 PM

oldtownpaddler has a spectacular aura aboutoldtownpaddler has a spectacular aura about

I would go, as said before, and buy the Cabelas Wind River Reel. Wait a little bit and you might find it goes on sale, as it does often. Not too expensive so it might fit into your budget and it is a decent reel for the price.
Good Luck.
Old 01-16-2014, 08:24 PM

rockthief is a jewel in the roughrockthief is a jewel in the roughrockthief is a jewel in the rough

Jim Teeny sells a 60' line and I have several. It is the First Cast. DOn't know if he has a two line though. If you want to use that little fellow on your two weight rod you could likely use a running line from a six or seven line you are not using and it would cast just fine. I did that with a tiny Dennison reel I have and it works fine on my 2 wt graphite rod.

Paul
Old 01-16-2014, 08:36 PM

jbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to behold

Just cut the line in half. Easy choice. Cutting 10' off the back will gain you the same thing except the line isn't reversible anymore. Cutting it in half solves every problem and gives you 2 lines for the price of one. youll still have the portion of the line that loads the rod and presents the fly... X2
Old 01-17-2014, 12:20 AM

r reese is just really nicer reese is just really nicer reese is just really nicer reese is just really nicer reese is just really nice

I like smaller reels and I cut 25 ft off all new lines for lt wt rods 3wt and below. put on backing and go. still more line than you can cast on 3wt and below.
Old 01-20-2014, 02:01 PM

ditz is just really niceditz is just really niceditz is just really niceditz is just really niceditz is just really nice

Larger reel. Just a cheap one will work very well for you. One can never have enough reels.